Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why can't I sell my Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Mac, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

To me, 22 was too high 15ish is about right. Just need to expand your advertising net. Its a sharp looking little rig.

2. Rathbone

Rathbone

I wondered myself why no one has bought it. List it elsewhere and you may have better luck.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  3. Boden

Boden

I absolutely LOVE those style t’s

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Boden

Boden

That is a amazing fair price in my opinion. Maybe post it in other websites and browsers

Barn Hunter likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

There are two things in your ad that limit buyers. One..."If you are a big person you probably can't get in it.” That limits who can actually fit and enjoy your hot rod. The compartment is smaller than most hot rods that are for sale and the buyers are larger, now, than back in the early days. People understand you trying to be politically correct, but the buyer, small or large has to like the T-Bucket style over any other.

Some people like being cramped while driving, others not so much and will by pass the T-Bucket in a blink of an eye. It has nothing to do with how much you put into the build, time wise or cost. You will never get out what you put in during the build. The T-Bucket market is down there in popularity. As it once was an eye catching roadster, it is still a “fad,” limiting your market.

TWO… there is no need to BTT in any ads. If the car is priced right, the buyers will come and see it. Or if you go to some car show events, that increases your chances. BTT is a desperate cry for help and maybe “I overpriced the hot rod.” (delete those if possible) There are quite a few hot rods still priced the same that have been in the HAMB ads for a long time. One day, they will get it, that the asking price is too high and there has to be some wiggle room to barter or just sell outright at a much lower price.

Jnaki

upload_2019-12-17_3-40-15.png
    When I was taking photographs back in those early days, I got a ride in a very cool T-Bucket. It was thrilling and the wind just blew in our faces and all around. I got the feeling of being able to lean over and touch the ground. It was fast and sounded very powerful. But, being 6 feet plus, it was cramped and I did not like the knees up style of driving around. I am not alone in this idea of cruising around in an open roadster. The owner even put in a flip steering wheel for easy entrance to the seating area. It looked nice, but still had a cramped style. That limits who can and is willing to drive that way.

At least it fits into the 50s-60s style if that is what the buyer is looking for in his/her next purchase. If a trade is what most are telling you, jump ahead of the deal. See what those trades are going for on the average and see if it won’t fit your asking price. Some times a trade will go faster and still meet or undercut your asking price a little.

6. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice car. It will sell. In my opinion it's a got a few hurdles that will require the right buyer. Open car, limited use. Time of year. Flames. You either like them don't just like continental kits.

7. I've been that 13 year old before. Breaks my heart. If i had $15k I'd buy it and give it to the kid

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

In this day and age of 75 MPH Interstate Highways where everyone drives 80 plus I just don't see how driving a T Bucket at those speeds is anywhere close to being practical, comfortable or even safe. I know for sure if I did my wife wouldn't be with me. To me they are a drive around town or fairgrounds cruising type of vehicle not for traveling long distances.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    jim snow and B Bay Barn like this.
  9. When I was selling my roadster, instead of a somewhat traditional styled car; it seemed like all the T-bucket people wanted engines that were taller than the windshield along with pro-stock sized back tires.

Now I have to drive cooped up in coupe; sure miss running down the road in an open wheel topless hot rod.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your ad's title isn't helping. It says "27 Roadster Pickup." Your car is first and foremost a T-bucket. The title should make that clear, so it attracts the right buyer.

Somebody looking for a T-bucket might skip this ad. Meanwhile, somebody looking for a more traditinal RPU is probably not interested in this.

Stogy, alanp561 and Blue One like this.
  11. When reading some of the comments it does not feel like being on the HAMB.
    This car is perfect and looks like it jumped straight out of a vintage AMT-Kit. If it was nearer to where I live I would buy it in breeze. Unfortunately it's more than 5000 miles away.
    Who cares if it is uncomfortable in rain and sun, there are many days with little sun and no rain. I bet it's a blast to drive. It has this late 50s, early 60s style that people don't build too often nowadays.

RJP, wraymen, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  12. the-rodster

the-rodster

That car will sell at that price.

You need it in front of more eyeballs.

Craigslist, Ebay, HotrodHotline, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

Nice car, good luck.
    Rich

Blue One and Surfcityrocker like this.
  13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a well done car and has the look! As many have said, list it in more places. $15K seems a bit light to me. In my experience the time between Christmas and tax time is when you buy, not sell. Good luck!!
    May is when I would relist it and for maybe $18-19K to start.

14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Great Way To Advertise...Just Start A Thread That Asks A Question..Well Done..

15. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well I'll be 73 in a couple of days and I drive my 27 roadster (not a T bucket) or my Harley or one of my two OT convertible cars at 80. That steel T will sell at 15K as soon as someone with the money comes along. I know I'd buy it. As far as it not being accurate enough as a tribute to the Kooky car it's a lot closer than the dozens of piss yellow with a black frame chopped 32's running around are to the graffiti coupe.

Jay71, mad mikey, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a great lesson in Hamb Friendly Material and it interesting to see were the Mood of the Hobby is...

Hamber's have some Stunning Vehicles...

I can think of many Threads more lacking in appropriate content...

Was there a build thread on your 'T' @Mr. Mac?

Surfcityrocker and ClarkH like this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a T Bucket on an Interstate doing 75 MPH. Just doesn't seem like much fun having the wind and air noise beating the shit of you. To each his own.

18. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well I guess it's just like trying to answer someone asking why I would ride a motorcycle. " If you have to ask you're not going to understand the answer."

chevyfordman, dan31, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  19. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Well I guess you can call it what you want I always thought of a T bucket as a glass car. My title reads 1927 roadster pickup.

jimgoetz likes this.
  20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yes there was a build thread of sorts. You have to go back to April 9 2011 and its called My last hot rod and of all things its a Roadster.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember Mac the Glass buckets were patterned off their Steel Forefathers and were a spin off the full box Roadster Pickups...so somewhat of a different league in description...

22. LOL. Ask any motorcyclist living in a lid free state if they enjoy it or not.

stinson, lothiandon1940, clem and 2 others like this.
  23. Squablow

Squablow

I don't consider a 26-27 body a "T-bucket" either, regardless of build style.

jimgoetz likes this.
  24. It's definitely a nice looking car, I would take the negative "if you're big you're not going to fit" post the positive "it has working doors so it's easy to get in and out of" " be the hit of your cruise night in this Cookie style roadster, guaranteed to draw attention and drop jaws with it's 8 chromed pipes rumbling for attention" etc etc
    Your ad is a little to robotic with it's itemized list, you have to excite people to want to own what you're selling. I remember Benbrook Speed had a nice traditional T for sale that took a long time to sell and one other that was really nicely done that took awhile too.
    My vote is to pull the ad rewrite it, add a few different photos maybe even some ridiculously close ups that don't really show the car but the highlights of the car, then relist it to several different audiences.

Stogy, upspirate and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  25. Why won't anybody give me parts to build my car?? See if this works for me

26. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

HAHAHA

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My comment was in no way intended as a criticism of the car. I think that car is very cool, and since you built it, I assume you are, too. :D

upspirate likes this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I already have 2 model t’s my coupe and still have dads touring car I rode 275,000 miles in the back seat of so I’m kinda out on it however this is a top notch car built very well I’ve seen it many times and seriously can’t understand why it hasn’t sold yet maybe you need to put a shiny chrome bumper on it seems like people always buy those kinds of cars and never look past that shiny bumper to see the dark side they should be looking at I can say this is not one of them

Stogy likes this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^Yep. We're probably a good 20 years past the peak in the US of someone from that generation relating to the car/TV show and going after a tribute Kookie car. Someone that was 25 in 1965 is 80 ish now and not likely to be looking to drive a Bucket.
    One look at coverage of Mooneyes Japan event for example, reveals 20's-40's crowd, that are living the over the top nostalgic American cars. I could see one of them importing the car (like so many other American cars that have been imported).

Your car is a great looking car/build but you have a limited buying audience.
    Math wise, maybe of all the buyers looking to buy an old car, perhaps 10-15% would consider a Bucket? Maybe 5% are looking exclusively for a Bucket? So 5 of every 100 buyers have cash ready for the right bucket. You may lose 1 or 2 % of that because they're not looking for a nostalgia bucket but a Fad T or Track T, etc. So the prospects are narrow.

I hope whoever buys it, keeps it as is! But I don't think it's likely someone would buy it just to instantly tear into it (unless the price point got crazy low). The fact that it has a red interior severely limits what body color change would fit (black, maybe red). Also the fact that the chassis is blue makes a color change more involved/expensive.

There's a buyer out there but you'll have to find them. That means, (as suggested) advertising it everywhere, including overseas.

Consider an auction such as Mecum or B/J. Some high roller (or his Lady) may fall in love with it at first sight and pull the trigger.

Consider taking a trade if it won't sell. Your ad says 'no trades'. Are you looking to buy or build something else once this sells? If so, list what you'd trade up/down for.

Stogy and GreenMonster48 like this.
  30. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

THANKS to all that gave your answers and opinions to my question. This was to be and is my last car to ever build. I have a 58 Ford mild custom that is my regular driver that I will keep until I'm gone. I would like to make a few updates to the 58 WHEN I sell the Roadster.:)