Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ten publishing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDSMAN, Dec 16, 2019.

1. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

This is the correct answer. Ask for your money back.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  2. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

If they won't provide a refund and you paid with a credit card then open a dispute with the cc company. They sometimes can more efficiently resolve things for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Years ago I used to be a contributing editor to Street Rodder Magazine and every year at the NSRA Nats I'd renew my sub for another couple of years.

Back in 2003, at Brian Brennan's request, I covered the Aussie Nats for them and the article was never printed. I also, at Brennan's request, covered other interesting aspects of street rodding that might be of interest to the readership.

One of the articles was on the development of the 34 Ford roadster ute at Waddington's shop. That article, too, was never published. I spent a lot of time and effort putting those articles together (story, captioned photos,the whole nine yards).

I made up my mind at that point that I wanted nothing more to do with Street Rodder Magazine. I was eventually paid for the articles years later but only after I filed a"kill fee" request with TEN.

Last month my subscription FINALLY ran out after 16 years of not renewing it but not before I gave away my entire collection. Yea, I had a full set.
    So, Street Rodder is no more. To that I say. GOOD RIDDANCE!

4. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

They haven't told me yet..... does that mean I will still get it and you guys won't? lol I have a full set from the beginning... hmmmm I'm not interested in digital anything, have all I can handle now.

5. well, that just sucks,..I figured they'd give me Hot Rod as a substitute..I sub'd to 5 of the magazines that were axed;....I'd want my remainers to go to Hot Rod or my $ back...
    ...haven't received any notice from them yet.

seb fontana likes this.
  6. From what I've read, the whole suite of car magazines except for three has been cancelled.

Here's what's gone.
    • 4-Wheel & Off-Road
    • Automobile
    • Car Craft
    • Chevy High Performance
    • Classic Trucks
    • Diesel Power
    • Hot Rod Deluxe
    • Jp
    • Lowrider
    • Mopar Muscle
    • Muscle Car Review
    • Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
    • Mustang Monthly
    • Street Rodder
    • Super Chevy
    • Super Street
    • Truck Trend
    • Truckin’
    • Vette
    What does that leave you with for a choice of PRINT versions? Motor Trend, Hot Rod, ?

see related link https://jalopnik.com/ten-publishing-kills-19-automotive-print-publications-i-1840273584

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

Id also like some guidance here. I renewed my subscription and sent the check on 15NOV2019, they cashed it 22NOV2019. They definitely knew they were going to cancel the publication, yet they cashed the check anyway.

I don't want any kind of digital subscription. Normally, Id say just send me Hot Rod since I like to support businesses that support the hobby. But with business practice like that, I want my money back.

8. But, guys............. just think how many lives of baby trees will be saved by online magazines! :eek:
    (Not to mention how many diseases you will be saved by digital dates on that Playboy site.)

I'm cool with it. More wood for my barbecue pit and if I wasn't passed the middle of my 70th decade, I'd have more ladies lined up because I used to be a good dancer. :rolleyes:

9. Where'd you send your renewal check, Florida or someplace other than California or New York? Unless you sent it directly to the publisher the recipient wouldn't be aware of the impending change(s)' The subscription service was probably just as much in the dark as the rest of us enthusiasts.

Discovery owns everything involved here. By the time things trickled down I'll bet the staffs at the various publications were just as surprised as the readership. That's the way the "suits" handle things. They're totally out of touch with reality and think EVERYONE wants to have EVERYTHING at their fingertips (their cell phones) just like themselves. WRONG!

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

Exactly. I have the Kindle subscriptions to Hot Rod and Streetrodder and I haven't looked at them in months. It's bad enough that you scan the page images, then have to blow-up anything of interest to a readable form, but then, the damn article is continued on another page, like the print version, and you have to go thru the same process all over again to continue the article, sometimes two or three times. A pox on all their houses.

11. Sadly, this is no longer the America that I grew up in.:(

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

As sad as this is I must admit I haven't bought a magazine in years. The cost got too high and to be honest there wasn't anything in them that seemed to jump out at me as something I hadn't seen before.

13. dirrty

dirrty

Never did care much for Street Rodder but got it after Rod & Custom died for the last time. I won't miss it much but they better give refunds! I don't want any of there other stuff. Looks like Hot Rod Deluxe too. No more wasting time reading, back to the garage to get more done. Maybe this is a good thing.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

got this today 20191217_080407.jpg

15. I have filing cabinets full of car magazines, most hanging in Pendaflex folders, in my garage and cellar. They make a great reference library. Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Rod Action, Rod Power, Rodders Journal, Hot Rod Mechanix, Custom Car, CK Deluxe, Hop-Up, Kustoms Illustrated, Popular Hot Rodding, Ameican Rodder, Rodder's Digest, and a few more. Many are complete collections. but Street Rodder, the pain they cost me was too much so out the door they went.

Digital magazines are just too hard to read especially when you don't own a smart phone(and never will, either)

Give me printed media any day.

16. No cable TV account needed. Well isn't that sweet? Great if you have a smart phone. I dont.

No thanks. I'll watch something else on my large flat screen TV instead of some dippy streaming video on my 13" laptop.

17. Dirk35

Dirk35

Don't remember where it sent. I just filled out the little sheet of paper and used their return envelope which they provided with the subscription expiration/renewal notice.

18. CruZer

CruZer

I sent them an Email last week when this was announced. I haven’t heard from them yet and don’t expect to.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

19. CruZer

CruZer

I quit SR years ago but then they sent me a renewal offer three months ago that was too good to pass up. I got two issues and now they have stopped printing it. Screwed again.

20. CruZer

CruZer

You can buy a Apple TV box for about $180,then subscribe to Motor Trend and watch all of their shows on your TV. Utube,too.

21. 34Larry

34Larry

Hot Rod Deluxe, January 2020, just hit the rack in my local W-mart. I snatched it up and IMO this issue is the best one they ever put out. What a damned shame the corporate ass holes did this to the reading car hobby public. All they can see is the $$$$$$$$$$$. I'm a retired Boeing ME and am enjoying immensely the loss Boeing is currently under going because dollar signs is all they could see, and push their greed down to the lowest levels on the factory floor. Could say more but its off subject.

22. 34Larry

34Larry

Motor Trend TV sucks compared to what Velocity and Speed were. I hardly watch MT and have subscribed to Netflix. Motor Trend magazine always sucked also compared to all the other great ones out

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  23. Got the email yesterday. I still had a subscription with SR only because when Rod & Custom died they added the issues left on that to my SR subscription. Now that SR and Car Craft have died I asked them to add the issues left onto my Hot Rod subscription. Already have Motor Trend streaming which I no longer watch, sucks, and runs out in February. I'll let everything else run out and move on. I have yet to hear anything back and doubt I will.

24. SUBSCRIBE???? to Motor Trend TV?????????

....and doesn't Apple TV require a cell phone account as well?

No thanks. Motor Trend's lineup sucks anyhow and I get it already on my satellite TV menu.

25. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said.

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I got the same damn email as yall, haven't replied yet, but they can go piss up a rope for all I care if the shit they have offered is all that is available.
    I don't even want my subscription to HRM extended by the 3 issues they still owe me on SR. Hell, next thing you know HRM will be folding their tent also, prolly before my current subscription is up.
    Considering telling them I want the news stand price of the rest of my sub. refunded,or I will just look into calling in my credit card people to stir up some shit.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Plus, when the short term free streaming, etc runs out will be just like when the low special intro offers for magazines - they will automatically charge your credit card to renew at full price

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I haven't got the "notice" yet but I will lose 4 out of 5 subscriptions; HRM the remaining one. I thought HRD was doing a pretty good job with their coverage, oh poo..Hey Desoto remember me?

Attached Files:

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That’s the same thing that was e-mailed to me

30. HAMBers unite !...this ain't right...a lot of long term subscribers and we get the door slam'd in our face..., I want my $ back.
    ...lets get a petition going to bring back Hot Rod Deluxe, every issue was our kinda stuff.

chryslerfan55 and kevinrevin like this.