Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why can't I sell my Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Mac, Dec 15, 2019.

1. oldolds

oldolds

One of the biggest problems with selling a hot rod is that our community is rather small. We go to a big show such as a Goodguys or NSRA regional show and maybe 4000 cars there and think how big the hobby is and how everyone has a hot rod. You need to step back and think about things and realize that a small town with 5000 population probably has over 3,000 cars ( just a guess) that people need to get back and forth to work, ect. Our car are cars that are extra and not needed by most people.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My advice, worthless as it may be... Hold for spring and summer, its not a winter car.... Christmas, tax season are almost on us... Only buyers right now are business owners looking to write off a purchase as advertising etc... I do agree if you need to sell faster than slower, ebay may be the gamble... Its a cool lil T... Market for T's is soft these days.. Model As have taken the place of the cheap 32 game. T sales, its finding the right person who lives in the right climate.... Down here not many run roadsters due to its fin hot and sunburn city... Also remember the muscle car craze that has been going on the last few years pulled people away from the vintage stuff a bit that were the "come latelys" Just be realistic that selling a car like that is not a quick sale... Stock one running driving 10k car would sell faster probably since there is alot of banger guys... hotrods are finding the right ass for the seat... took me 6 months of having my car listed to sell, so don't get discouraged too easily...

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Want to go drag racing ? Trade you for my Avatar. It has a brand new yet to be finished 334 stroker motor.

catdad49 likes this.
  4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

as above, all good sugestions, i would give ebay a shot, i have had good luck on there. its not winter everywhere, but the season has slowed down, for most of the states. if you could wait until spring, it would be a bigger group looking for something like that. 15000 is very fair. i think ebay would be your best shot even now. you mite hit and over seas bidder. i sold one that went to new zealand. wasnt a big deal. the buyer handled evetything.

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

ebay, start the bidding at 15000.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I second or third the need to remove all the BTTT's from your ad. Just delete every one of those posts. They make it look desperate. And when you bump it again make sure to delete the previous one.

7. I got an idea that even though the price seems fair enough that you are trying to sell a car that isn't a real popular car with the masses. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with a bucket T, just that they are not as popular as say a '40 coupe.

metlmunchr, LM14, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Wow! I didn't think I would get this big of response from my thread. You guys have been very helpful with your ideas wish I could answer all of them but my hand would fall off from typing. I have tried some of the sites that you suggested with no luck. As far as the Big guy wording I'm just being honest. My son is 6'2' over 200 and can drive the car but he looks a little odd :Dand not very comfortable. THANKS so much for your input.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Advertise it somewhere that's not a bunch of old farts with too much stuff already. :)

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I would think the market share for T Buckets is extremely small. Not very practical, without creature comforts and definitely not a long distance cruiser. One of those cars much cheaper to buy then build.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    46international and Old wolf like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took the liberty of looking at your profile and see that you've been a HAMB member since 2005. You've built several cars and you've been into hot rods since the early '60s. That makes you somewhere close to my age. I have looked at your car every time I get on here and tried to figure out how to get rid of my two projects without losing my ass on them and still be able to buy yours. I've done the same thing with @HRPs shoebox. I've come to the conclusion that my and my wife's deteriorating health isn't going to allow me to enjoy getting in the wind with my 27 and it's seriously limiting what I'm able to do with my 46 Merc. If I could get rid of them without losing my ass I could buy yours or @HRP's shoebox and if there was something about either one I didn't care for, it would be easier to change it to my style than start from scratch. I'm sure I'm not the only person interested in your car. Someone wants your car, you will sell it.

12. catdad49

catdad49

Mac, have you tried the National T Bucket Alliance (NTBA)?

13. I'd ride with him, cause i ain't got $15,000 lmao! I'll help load if you'll buy me a burger :D

14. trollst

trollst

You also have to realise that generally, open cars don't sell well at the best of times. Mine has been on the market two years, difference is....I don't really care if it sells, I enjoy driving it. I knew that when I put it up for sale. DSC05889.JPG DSC05890.JPG

kidcampbell71, alanp561 and catdad49 like this.
  15. You've played it down way too much, "big guys won't fit" why won't it sell etc. Play it up, Very traditional Grabowsky styled "T", fast reliable, draws attention at all the car shows, fun to drive. Could not build it for this price etc.

Surfcityrocker, missysdad1 and Tim like this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've lowered the price and still no response. The market for quality cars seems to have softened. I've had them for sale for so long I'm thinking of giving them away and taking a charitable deduction? If not my wife can get rid of them on my estate sale.

SquintBoy, wfo guy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very nice niche car that your trying to sell during “buyers season”

I wouldn’t change a thing about it and it’s priced right. The guys saying tax season sell time are dead on. I also feel with the further publication and showing of the restored kooki car you may get some more interest.

have you tried Facebook marketplace? Seems to be a lot of stuff being sold on that?

id say your just waiting for the right season/buyer that’s all.

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

That car is so tempting. Would have to sell stuff to make room and override nonsense about practicality.

19. squirrel

squirrel

I have the money. I just don't want one.

kidcampbell71, CME1, Gman0046 and 3 others like this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The market is in the Shitter.

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Maybe everyone is to big for it.....

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"just" buyer and yourself need to be in the right place a t the right time - no guaranteed way for that to happen - as yourself, and others, have had a ad here for many months that got over 7,500 hits with no takers - wish I could have charged $1 per viewing and I literally could have given it away - ended up selling to a guy in the East that somehow found my craigslist ad in California - one ride sold within a couple of hours of putting sign in and just driving to hamburger joint - never know ---- as a side story about being in the right place at the right time: Saturday I drove about 2 hours to a town where I used to live. Did a couple of things, then went to Post Office. In PO I ran into a long time buddy that I only see once per year at a big local car show - what were the odds of us being in the exact same place as the exact same time?

catdad49 likes this.
  23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I’d buy it. But, it would cost me $15 grand and 1/2 of everything I own

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Don't know where all you have it listed but I think that's a fair price. I'd bring it to as many local shows as you can. A lot of guys go to shows that don't have car but then get the hot rod bug while looking at all the cars there. I sold my Model A Tudor to a guy like that. He had a bunch of hot rod buddies that met every Sunday morning and he wanted to join in on the fun. $15K is pretty cheap entry into the hobby for a done, driving car (I'd put for sales sings on it at $16.5K so you have some wiggle room to get your money).
    Drive it around with for sale signs on it too. The more exposure the better.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Well, You might have a point there.:rolleyes:

nochop likes this.
  26. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I wouldn't change a thing...love it as is. I was a little put off about big guys won't fit. I'm probably about your sons size. I would delete that from the ad. I think it's the best deal in that price range.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Jay59chevy

Jay59chevy

Also if you were to stick it out until people start getting their tax returns (aka hot rod money) you will probably have a better chance of selling to the guy that cant afford it on his current salary.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

First, there is a pretty narrow group that is into buying T buckets of any kind. Second, it's a "copy" of sorts and many people don't like copies. They want originality. That makes your market even smaller. No creature comforts, best for short range driving or local shows. There are a lot of potential reasons it won't sell.

I don't think it's the workmanship or price, I just think it appeals to an extremely small part of the buying public. It's a buyer's market right now and you will just have to find that one buyer that needs to own it.

I think the auction idea is best, set your reserve and see what happens.

SPark

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It’s kind of a niche market. To most people it’s just another T-bucket.

nochop likes this.
  30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Remove the flames, paint it all blue. Put on chrome reversed wheels with black wall tires.. Look for a truck shifter like they used to use back then..
    That hot rod has a lot going for it, the Chevy 283, the trips, the beehive etc.. Make it more competition looking..