Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac Star Chief: ChiefResurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bishop Schulz, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

New spin balloons for the Chief! The folks at Discount Tires gave me a great deal, good price, and were nice enough to let me film and snap pics during the process.

The tires on the car are from 1975, the first tire change it had. Its tires and brakes were replaced by Sears in October of 1975, at 38,412 miles. Appropriate time I think in miles if not maybe a bit long for the old bias on it.

So yes, about time to get some new ones! The tire store has a freshness date of 10 years before a tire is called dangerous, well these tires are about 45 years old, since their change, could be a couple years older sitting on a shelf too...yes out of freshness!

Floating in the air!

Old stems were crumbling, yet the Chief held air! luckily the tires held together on the four mile trip to the tire store.

Old lead weights from Sears, nowadays they work in Nickle and Zinc to lesson the impact on the environment.

Balancing the tires, narrow white walls were about 60 bucks a shot, wides were 240 bucks each, so I let my wallet decide that one.

Hub caps, all four originals went back on.

All done! New tires and hub caps, what a great time, fast and fun with the staff at Bonney Lake Discount Tires!

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  2. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Before I took the trip to get new tires, the rain was threatening so it was time to work on the wipers on the old Chief.

The wipers are vacuum driven from the reservoir canister which is fed by the intake manifold, passing through a one way air valve.

I suspect my air valve is broke since it provides little vacuum enough to run the wipers and power brakes.

There is a wire inside a spun steel casing, like that of a bicycle ten speed brake or gear lever hose. Its spun steel casing is not water proof, so I gave mine a good spritze of PB blaster and let it sit overnight.

With some pliers I was able to work the switch back and forth and the cable moved easily inside the spun steel casing. Yay!

A trick I learned from some older fixers, take the normal sucction hose off the wipers, stick that end in a cup of transmission fluid and work the wipers back and forth by hand. This sucks up some of the fluid and lubricates the internals of the wiper motor.

I did this and it worked amazingly well. Over the last month now its been just fine and works each time, so a great fix. I remain dubious as to the longevity of this fix as there are solvents in the transmission fluid but so far so good.

The passenger side wiper was stripped and didn't move, I'll need to source a new passenger side wiper arm.

3. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Hails all, a bit of work on the old Chief, a wiper motor fix, some new vacuum hoses, fit all of it onto a new episode of the Resurrection series.

Enjoy!

4. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

The old Chieftain now has some tires! In January the Chief will visit Mad Max Cars in Puyallup for a transmission removal, overhaul, and put back in. Should have a ton of pics from that and some video too.

Meanwhile, here is the latest video for the Chieftain series, Tires!!

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

No promises.......I'll have to look but I might have my old wiper arm somewhere if you still need one.

Bishop Schulz and loudbang like this.
  6. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

OOooo that would be awesome! Heres to hoping you have one =) Cheers!

loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  7. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Its December and the holidays are upon all of us! I've been meaning to get this out there, this is the work on teh weather stripping for the ol'chief.

I cover some advice I was given on adhesives and present the whole tearing apart and gluing back in place of some new rubber in the video below.

I also took my team out for a holiday axe throwing event and popped a short vid at the end of me tossing some axes, fun stuff! Enjoy!

mgtstumpy likes this.
  8. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Hails fellow car tinkerers. Its January now and I figured I'd post something even though the Chief here is in hibernation until the rain stops and some sun shows up.

Spent some time today removing the regulator and power window motor from the chief, a rear passenger door setup.

Hope to help others with the video, I went in not knowing how to remove it, managed not to bugger much up and made a video covering the extraction.

Thanks all, hope everyones holiday went good! Enjoy this fun time of me removing the door innerds!

9. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Oh and this Friday, the Chief will be heading down to Mad Max Cars in Puyallup to have the transmission pulled and sent off to a retired transmission aficionado.

I am hoping to get some great footage of the restore process and an interview with the guy, ya never know. Secret wizardry is afoot no doubt in rebuilding a 1955 hunk of transmission iron.

I'll pop that up here soon, everyone stay safe and enjoy your winter!

-bish

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  10. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Leap year! Well I have some news on the transmission. Sure the car has only 42k miles on it but according to Stan, who is retired and restores these old dual range hyrdamatics as a hobby, an extension of his transmission career....he has NEVER seen a transmission blown up as bad as this one.

Ive got receipts for the cars miles, so the 42k is a reality, but the transmission, was run hard, really hard, destroyed. He said all the shafts were wobbly in their case holdings, springs were broken, and the main drum, was split, and he'd never seen this level of carnage.

I am holding to my guns and having it rebuilt and NOT going to convert over to a modern chevy transmission...so we are four weeks out on the rebuild.

For your entertainment, and maybe gasps, here are the pics Stan shared with me.

Stan laid out the innards of the broken transmission

Housing springs are shot...

This steel drum, the heard of the transmission, split! And of course all the bands are burned and fried

Once this is back in the Chief, I will get to working on the interior...maybe give it a first wash and buff? Ill need to linseed oil the rusty roof, the rest, meh, polish the old 1970's cheap paint over job.

cheers!
    -bish

mgtstumpy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Hails all! The transmission rebuild is done. I don't have pics of that since it was in Stans hands, a saint who is as old as god and been working transmissions since the wheel was a new thing.

I did make a video showing the transmission story and extraction.

loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  12. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Hails Jalopnics, with all this shut-in and close down due to this Corona plague, Ive got little happening. The transmission and driveline refresh are sitting at the closed shop.

In the mean time, i've soaked the old speaker grill and its rust is a thing of the past. The lettering on it was mostly missing. Took some time but found new ones, its a small thing but a nagging thing sitting there in front of your eyes, always broken and chrome missing.

Dip and clean

new lettering in hand

Front hood script from a 57, wound up in my collection of items.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Man looks like my 'Star Chief' is a slightly different font, dag gum...oh well.

loudbang likes this.
  14. dansdiner

dansdiner

I read your adventure in Pontiacland with great interest...I just started on a frame swap on a 55 Chieftain Wagon to a 55 Safari....the Safari frame had suffered at the hands of a kid with no welding experience....just pulled the Chieftain frame which is excellent, IMG_20200521_115211109.jpg IMG_20200523_154419871.jpg IMG_20200519_113912458.jpg I will redo everything while it's out...I will put the old Safari frame back under the Chieftain wagon which I'm sure someone will resto mod....keep up the great work...I don't have the picture discipline you do!! Lol

15. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

That is as awesome project!! Discipline is just earned like scars and cussing at nuts and bolts hehe, you have an awesome start. Wagons are where its at, such a majestic vehicle!

loudbang likes this.
  16. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update!

Well its been some time, all this lock down has things closed and buggered up so progress on the Star Chief is slow. Ive dropped off the Chief at the Mad Max car shop and they will install the freshly rebuilt hydro over the next week or so.

I will get some pics of that for sure. In the mean time, a couple of fun shares:

Getting ready to load up, hasnt been out in the sun for half a year!

Old rig my grand parents had in Alaska:

Nice old shot, early 1960's of the Reno main street...and what a coincidence, it captured a white four door Chieftain cruzing by!

loudbang likes this.
  17. SS327

SS327

Did you get your trans in yet?

18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee