Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Go Andy go!!! looking good!!

aw1950 likes this.
  2. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Still getting after it . Finished up the power steering return relief . Welded up and ground the welds on the inner fender to fender transition points . Also laid up a pattern for the inner panel as well. This will keep water and dirt getting thrown back onto the front edge of door and back of fender area . Figured id weld everything all together , what the hell , my car my way .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So , if anyone is still hanging on to this thread what your looking at in the 1st few pictures is 40 plus hours of hood aligning and getting proper gaps . Running beads of weld along fender edges to correct gaps . These Buick’s have 4 hinge mechanisms that have to work integral with one another. It was a bitch to get right . Also decided to remove beltline nickel as well . It wasn’t going to work for this build . Last photo shows the effect quite well . Kustom all the way !

4. impala4speed

impala4speed

I've not commented before (oversight on my part) but I have been watching your build from the beginning. Your work is really impressive. Love how the top chop turned out. The hood gaps look great.

chryslerfan55 and aw1950 like this.
  5. patterg2003

patterg2003

Subscribed from the beginning and still following in quiet awe of the skills and methods that you are sharing. You are doing great work all on your own & in your garage against the challenges of our winters. Winter really does get in the way. The condition the car started in and where it is today is inspiring. Have a great Christmas!

chryslerfan55 and aw1950 like this.
  6. [​IMG][​IMG]

Now , being the type I am , never satisfied until I am , this is the next part of this long puzzle . The quarter panel needed , in my opinion , to flow into the door some . What do ya think ? Metal work to commence later today .

7. impala4speed

impala4speed

^^^^^^ I like it.

8. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As mentioned, metal work started so this gets addressed! Still another day of fabrication at this point but heading in the right direction !!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn man but you are an inspiration! You are one determined car nut. Watch out Andy or you'll turn into a hell of a fabricator!

10. Lol I am far from a Marcel or a Runte. But thanks for the compliment BrerHair . Stay tuned it’ll get better .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. IMG_1755.JPG IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG IMG_1763.JPG

12. So , here’s where we’re at now. Belt line , done . Body scoop , done . Onto fitment issues with rear skirts . Keep on keeping on

54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Really amazing work ......

14. your Buick is looking better and better each time you post an update! Lovin' it!!!

aw1950 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Update , picked up rings from Jeff Spence. Modified them to have a deeper frenched effect . Coming along , off next week so I should make big progress . Stay tuned

16. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

I've been watching this project for years and am continually amazed by the quality of the work.

aw1950 likes this.
  17. Appreciate the dedication to my build , some painting coming soon , keep hanging on for the ride man !

impala4speed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Well with covid disrupting everything my holidays had to be cancelled. So been getting some time but not a full week . Bad with the good .

19. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Found more rust , go figure , part of the process . Both French rings done , and I added a 3/16" flange that runs from fender to fender that fades away into the fenders . You will see it better once we get into primer .

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  20. Well here’s where I am now , exterior 98% complete , just a few minor issues . Now out with the engine , reshoot the firewall in final colour , on and on and on , you get it ! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BradinNC, James D, hacknwhack and 9 others like this.
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful! Well done, you have turned a huge corner!

22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Its so great when a car is back in all one color. Looks terrific!

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

24. Yes sir I have , next is engine trans coming out again remove booster sand firewall change out color and shoot the engine compartment into body color then jambs doors dash trunk underside of hood whew I better get at it or another ten years will pass Lol

BrerHair likes this.
  25. Sure is now it is looking like something, lots ahead of me yet though , stay tuned and thanks for the positive comment.

26. Thanks brother, I see the project is on hold for a bit ? You’ll get at it sometime. I’ll be watching !

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  27. Looks amazing!!!

aw1950 likes this.
  28. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

That is just utterly amazing. What a fantastic job. Determination and persistence along with great skills and imagination gets the job done. It took me 15 years to do my F1 but it was like playing with tinker toys compared with your work. I can really appreciate what you have done.

aw1950 likes this.
  29. Really appreciate the positive vibes sent Flat Roy , Andy..

54delray likes this.
  30. IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2191.JPG

Yes I am still here LOL , just an update and a teaser colour shot . I have stripped the frame to bare metal , blew the complete front end apart again , primer and paint, detailed all the underpinnings , steering box etc. Front clip as you can see is off and is resting on the other side of my shop . I removed the clip to make assembly and engine install a lot easier . I am plugging away when I can . Later all .

Finnrodder, BradinNC, James D and 7 others like this.