Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods After initial brake in,now looking at dumped oil ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 14, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Started ,followed all the procedures, run and drove the car ,had good results ,runs & sounds good with a new engine
    350 /290 hp flat top lifters. Now for piece of mind I want to dump the oil ,pull the filter , put it in a clean drain pan and examine Question ,I have never broke open a oil filter .If I cut it open with a cut off wheel I will get debris in the oil from cutting the filter itself. Also, with the oil removed from the crankcase & dumped in the drain pan ,is the best method to use a magnet and fish through the oil. What works the best gene in Mn

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Get a filter cutter or use a big pipe cutter.

Bones

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cut it with a big hunting knife

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

We had an automatic tool at work that cut the cover off but I'd use a aveation sheer after poking a hole in the filter.

Rich B. likes this.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut the top of the filter off with either a filter cutter or large pipe cutter. No hack saw or cutoff wheel. Pull the pleated paper out and lay it out and inspect the pleats for any particles. I usually drain the oil through a strainer to catch big stuff and then run the magnet through the catch pan. A magnetic drain plug for the oil pan does not cost much.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

A side cutting can opener will also work ( industrial type)

7. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Use an exhaust pipe cutter.

8. blazedogs

blazedogs

Feel stupid to ask but where do I make my cut to make it easiest to pull the pleated paper out. At the top ,bottom or center of the filter ?

9. squirrel

squirrel

I'd change the oil a few times before looking at it, or you'll get scared!

10. blazedogs

blazedogs

Jim, Thanks for the tip Have learned a lot even at 76 yrs old from you and others.Darn good instructors .Are patient & understanding with some of our ( not so intelligent questions) gene

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Who put it together ? Why are you worried enough to go to that much trouble ?

12. blazedogs

blazedogs

Not really worried ,just piece of mind 350/290 hp flat tappet Crate motor long block bought through Summit

302GMC likes this.
  13. afaulk

afaulk

This is excellent advice. regardless of who built the engine you will find some metal inn the oil filter. As long as the oil pressure is good and there are no bad sounds, you should be good to go.