Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rods & Hockey: A Jalopyrama Retrospective

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Dec 13, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rods & Hockey: A Jalopyrama Retrospective

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

That B model Mack is fantastic. Cool photos. Great hot rods. Thanks for sharing.

chriseakin likes this.
  3. Mark your new calendars for May 2, 2020.:D 12132019.jpg

4. Thanks for posting the photos of some of the cars that were not inside the arena. Some nice rides out there that didn't get the attention they deserved during the event.

Phil

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am an old hockey player myself but never knew they had car shows in the rink! I thought they were for playing hockey and drinking beer! Very cool!

jim snow and chriseakin like this.
  6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, what a great group of cars... I need to get out to this event!

7. .........Yes you do.:D

Scooterville and Dino 64 like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great group of cars outside as well as inside. That is almost like having two different events on the same venue.

9. Very cool!:rolleyes: What is with the licence plate bolts? :confused:
    I coached youth hockey for years and loved the sport. Many trips to the Garden back then.
    That many Hot Cars should have melted the ice.:cool:Thanks for posting.
    [​IMG]

loudbang, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. played Goalie, both roller and ice, on a mens league for years. great pictures and I am sorry I could not make it this year.
    the rusty nuts put on a great show!

lothiandon1940 and ct1932ford like this.
  11. Great venue for the show.

Scooterville and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jerry was thrashing to get that together for that show...he's incredibly motivated, far beyond Mr. Stogy...:D
    Square nuts are period correct however but I'm sure that will end up with something a bit more suitable down he road as its still a work in progress...

His Build Thread at link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/jerry-s-32-5-window-project.1032277/

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop thanks for the coverage inside and out...top marks to all involved...just a fantastic array of Vintage Cool captured so brilliantly...Pucking Awesome...:D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thank you so much for not referring to the "boards" as half walls... Whoever started that term should be tied spread eagled, without a cup, to the goal and have shots, especiallly slap shots, taken at him repeatedly until he swears never to utter that phrase again. And then do it all over again just to prove a point!

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And around here the winter and early spring car shows were always in a rink...

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Thats my car. The plate is a display plate...I realized I left the plate bolts on my workbench at home. Those came from a buddy at the show....ugly. I agree..but worked in a pinch!
    Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. A Boner

A Boner

In a pinch...just like "back in the day"!

Stogy likes this.
  18. ..............Ouch!:eek:

Stogy likes this.
  19. Figured it was something like that. I was just being a wise ass!:p Such a nice car.:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  20. What's the story on this Comp Coupe?
    IMG_4064-e1576229922471.jpg IMG_4070-e1576229906584.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. I don't know much about it but I helped unload and park it right where you see it. :D
    I'll see if I can get some info for ya.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Hot rods and ice hockey…what a combo. Those Midwest/East Coast guys had all of the fun playing ice hockey. Out West when we were little kids, ice was used to cool fresh fish caught in the ocean before eating it at dinner. Or something we used to try and keep the trout caught at Lake Crowley fresh until we could get home on those long road trip vacations in our dad’s big Buick sedans. One year, we tried to make an ice hockey surface on our concrete driveway during a cold hail type of day. A little water and it did not freeze completely, so much for ice hockey. These days, there are ice arenas in a lot of neighborhoods for all sorts of ice activities. Where were you in 1952?

Our daytime activity for ice hockey was to get on our bikes and put on our baseball catcher’s outfits and shin guards. Then use our bats for hockey sticks. On the local elementary school playground, the first time was a softball, but when whacked, it went too far. So, we used two metal pie pans taped together with some heavy weights inside. That could get the daylights whacked at it from the bats, slide across the school black top, not go that far to keep the action tight and competitive.

Sometimes, the metal pie pans lasted several games on different days. But sometimes, real heavy competition made those pans unusable for the next rounds. All of our moms used to have metal pie pans as apple pies and lemon meringue pies were every kids’ favorites.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-1-25_10-26-41.png
    Hot rods and ice hockey…still an unusual combination. Most of the early car shows in LA were held at the Pan Pacific Auditorium, which was the place to have any type of shows, from presidential conventions to car shows. But, the local auditorium also included Ice Capades on the giant concrete floor.
    upload_2020-1-25_10-28-36.png
    Our dad took us to see many car shows as were growing up. He liked going, so he could be one of the customers to see/buy the next or that year’s Buick model. Only, if it were in his 4 year car buying timeline. I remember we were in his 1949 4 door Roadmaster, the 4 door 1953 sedan and the 1957 2 door Roadmaster.

upload_2020-1-25_10-29-34.png