Register now to get rid of these ads!

History GENE (TUBBY) BLACK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Beardmore, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Eric Beardmore

Eric Beardmore

Can anyone supply a photo of Tubby Black in the early 70's driving a Hill Bilt non winged Sprint Car owned by Ray Marler from the Empire Speedway Farmington Mo. I have restored the car and would like to add to its history. It would have a '1' on the tail and nose. Even the email of a possible contact would be a help.

2. Send an inquire to Bart.....@ Radius Nation.......he's also on here as Speed dome but rarely is on here.

3. Eric Beardmore

Eric Beardmore

OK. will try

4. FityFive

FityFive

Below is a link leading to a previous post picturing Tubby:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/jalopy-races.154572/page-3

Tubby was a legendary racer where I grew up (Farmington, Mo). My father watched him race in the 1950’s and I watched him during my high school days in the early 1990’s.

The story that always circulated about Tubby was that he was headed for NASCAR, but was selected over for a younger driver named Rusty Wallace. The rest is history.

I have contacted some friends “back home” to see if they could contact the Black family to get you a few pictures. We will see if they can help.

@1929CDAN

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019

5. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Such a small world these days. I am a 1970 graduate of Farmington Senior High and Susie Black( Tubby's daughter) was a classmate. David(1929CDAN) should have some answers.

6. Eric Beardmore

Eric Beardmore

That would be great. I have also left a message on the Farmington Raceway Facebook page but as it is the off season there is not a lot of activity. My email is [email protected]
    Thanks. Eric

7. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

8. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

9. Eric Beardmore

Eric Beardmore

Thanks for these and I have recorded them for the car History. Here is the Car as No 32 at Little Springfield now restored in New Plymouth, New Zealand SPRINT 32 FIN Left middle.jpg

LOWDUG37, MO_JUNK, 1929CDAN and 2 others like this.
  10. FityFive

FityFive

Good job Dan!

11. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

I`m sure Tubby would be proud and amazed .