Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buying stuff these days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dcs13, Dec 12, 2019.

1. dcs13

dcs13

I guess im getting old or something. First, does it seem people are asking just CRAZY prices for stuff these days ? I know asking and getting are two different animals. But, if stuff is way over priced, I don't even bother to try to negotiate.
    Second, when you do see something at a fair price, you gotta be ready to go get it right then, no matter what time of the day. If you're not right on them, it's gone.

guitarguy, Cosmo50, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

It's a little crazy on both sides, buying and selling. Plus, nobody wants to pay the shipping (and I don't blame them)!

quick85 and dana barlow like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Yep your getting to old so am I. It think some of the stuff is nuck'n futs.

j3harleys, catdad49 and dana barlow like this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 years ago shit was down. That's when you need to stock up, right? People are relatively happy right now and we have a fair economy for a change. Supply and demand...?

slim38, King ford, 5window and 3 others like this.

5. dcs13

dcs13

Saw a motor on Facebook. Price was fair. Sent him message that I'd take it and could pick up the next morning (was after 7pm).. He said fine, pick up the following day as he was busy. He texts me an hour later it was sold.

arkiehotrods, upspirate and catdad49 like this.
  6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am with you brother, they have it, you don't, you want it, but how bad do you really need it, is the question.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, economy is/has been at an all time high for a couple of years. That sometimes= sellers don't really "have" to sell an item and price it at bottom fishing prices. They also figure with the economy booming, buyers should have no issues coming up with the $$$. I don't now anyone out of work or any self employed people looking for jobs to take on.

Some of the prices are ridiculous though. 33/34 Ford hoods used to be $400-$500, now I'm seeing them listed at $2000+!? 32-34 Ford rolling chassis for $8000-$12000?
    There are still deals to be bought-IF you're patient and don't chomp down on the first shiny lure that spins by.

jim snow and abe lugo like this.
  8. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Maybe I need to move, I can't seem to GIVE parts away!

9. Sometimes it seems that the stuff I have for sale those who want it don't have any money. and those who have the money not would have the stuff. However ive sold more this year than in recient past years. I tend to buy auction bargains. and try to pay as little as possible. Ive learned the deals you miss don't hurt you. It the ones you get that you paid too much for that bites you again & again.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny stuff! I don't think prices are high, I think people are cheap bastards.

11. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

Some things do seem overpriced, but perhaps its perspective. I have been looking for a 33,34 dodge or Plymouth coupe body to build, seen one listed on FB marketplace, for $4500... no title, bare stripped body, no floors or sub rail area left, shot up with numerous bullet holes, and missing everything, not a straight peice of metal left anywhere. I thought it was a misprint price, should have maybe been $450... nope, truly asking 4500.....no thanks

nochop likes this.
  12. Fiend42

Fiend42

High prices start with the first buyer who overpays for anything. That sets the future prices because nothing is unknown for very long with modern communication methods. Remember when you could find lower prices for cars and parts in the boondocks where the outside info was not available and there were no car shows on television? Shipping charges are a killer in all deals. Loss of swap meets in some parts of the country is another reason parts cost more since many vendors are online now. And don't forget shows like American pickers for car and parts prices. Seems like they buy and pay a lot for stuff they find. I believe they influence the way people view their goods for sale and the money they can get for them, if they watch the show. Also televised auctions set prices. Just think of all the rusting cars and parts that will stay in the barn forever because owners are going to restore it someday, yuk yuk, or they watched an auction. Last but not least, junkyards are going away all over the contry.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Appreciation, Inflation, Supply and Demand

Maybe when UNICEF gets into hot rods everything will be free or cheap

:p

williebill, Shalamo and nochop like this.
  14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Shipping costs have really gotten out of hand over a dollar for a box, $30 for a bag of chips and then $12 to ship 1 can of paint. I couldn't imagine packing up parts to sell. It looks as though little vendors will have a hard time surviving. The 1st 3 pages of the Internet are dominated now with so-called expert sites doing comparisons of different products that are all available on Amazon.

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I love swap meets, but the thing that irritates me is that many sellers just lay piles of old parts on the floor with nothing to identify anything. Sure there are a lot of things that you only have to look at them and you can tell what they are for, but it sure would help if they put a white board up and kinda let you know generally what they have for sale.
    Second gripe is that many sellers equate the value of rust as being greater than the value of gold. Yes, some things are rare and desirable and command high prices........but there is a lot of stuff that gets loaded back on the trailer and taken back home after the swap meet because the sellers aren't realistic. The only difference between antique and junk is if someone has a use for it.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not to take this down a path not really suited for here but this is a problem. China can send items from China for less than I can send them to the next state.

I have skipped purchasing things for resale because of the costs of shipping.

Pats55 likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

Perhaps the next post will have something new. This has been rehashed 1000 times.

jim snow, Just Gary, Budget36 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ahh our monthly everything is too expensive thread. I eagerly await the monthly prices have fallen out the bottom on vehicles thread.:rolleyes:

19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've noticed alot of parts have gotten ridiculous but I've also noticed
    alot of it hasn't sold. But someone else comes along and sees the price then they throw theirs up there for the same price and before long you have a bunch of over priced parts.

Ebay is a perfect example, so are some of the adds here. They've been posted for months with no takers. My favorite? Is when they put rare! In the title but there's 157 of them on ebay at a 25% discount.

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hahahahahaha!!! Truth!! :D

nochop likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

eBay is a premium service, it takes a lot of work to clean things, take pictures of them, write descriptions and pack/ship when they sell, and there's also a hefty fee charged to the sellers. Anyone who's done it at any volume knows what I'm talking about, I think a lot of buyers don't appreciate the value added when you can just search for it on your computer and have it delivered to your door.

And be thankful for those sellers too, they're also often the ones buying up all of the stray pieces at junkyards, auctions and swap meets and offering them to the world. Every day, more good usable old stuff is lost, and that loss is the driving force behind the prices, a dwindling of the supply.

If you really truly believe the prices are overinflated, even beyond the amount of time and effort it would take to sell the stuff, then it's a great time to become a seller.

22. error404

error404
    from CA

in some cities rent and housing prices have doubled over the past decade or less

23. Squablow

Squablow

This is also a big problem, space is expensive and people don't have a place to store/stash huge amounts of stuff. Parts, especially big parts, that can't get sold or given away immediately often get scrapped when someone is moving or cleaning out, and that adds to the lack of available supply.

48fordnut likes this.
  24. fuzzface

fuzzface

People complain about shipping cost but yet there has been over 640 trucking companies that filed bankruptcy this year that cannot pay their bills including the latest Caledon freight which might affect 3200 people.

People think companies are getting rich shipping because they seem to only think about fuel cost but forget about the price of the fleet and the maintenance then throw in Ins., building cost or rent etc, etc etc. it all adds up fast.

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What ever happened to Dons Antique Auto (Niles Ca.) hoard after he passed ? That should have an affect on supply and demand in Nor Cal. From what I saw Don had very good clean California parts

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well his shop is completely empty and for rent. a friend of a friend worked with don's daughter to liquidate everything. the only thing I know the whereabouts would be Don's old Chevy swap meet truck as it is still in Niles and is out on the street every weekend. one of the Niles people bought it. probably the same guy who owns the old fire station that is full of old cars

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I love these threads. if you are not finding bargains at swap meets get up early and show up when people are unloading. I bought junk at swaps and sold it all on ebay for 5 years. I bet my trusty wagon hauled $40,000 worth of sales in that time.

could be that I am personally responsible for making prices go up, especially for 49 - 54 Chevy parts.. :)

arkiehotrods and 5window like this.
  28. Not Funny.....when their stuff is priced higher than my better stuff or same quality.....and they still try to beat me down on mine. Often you know who the players are......just sayin'.......

48fordnut likes this.
  29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I know how much my cars owe me and look at older locally manufactured cars (GM, Ford, MOPAR) and some imported US iron for sale down here. Some of the prices leave me reeling in shock; I've no idea if the high prices being sought are met yet the prices keep climbing, even for builder cars. :eek: Some people watch too much TV and want astronomical prices for garbage. It would be cheaper in some instances to fly to US, buy a good quality car and then import it rather than buy local. E.g. I couldn't build my latest car (US import) locally for less than what I paid including freight and taxes etc. However in saying that our federal Government has made it extremely difficult to import any car modified post 1989.
    Plus we pay ridiculously high annual licensing fees and similar gas prices. The price of parts is also way up there with cars and freight as we contend with fluctuating foreign exchange rates that add another 33%++ onto purchase costs.

waxhead likes this.
  30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with Squablow. I have been collecting and selling antique toys on Ebay for over 20 years. It takes a lot of work, taking pics, listing, questions, packing, shipping etc. It's a good thing it's an enjoyable hobby because it hasn't made me rich:(