Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. hemi

hemi

Sweet Mary in a manger... What iz ur dream ride?
    Who dug this dead cat up??

2. Sorry, man, I linked it in another thread!:D

3. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

ya know, i've seen this thread pop up a bunch of times, just now watched the montage. i think i almost get it. i understand janets concern, i mean what kind of business model is this, free speech, everyone advocating "used" or "vintage" parts, promoting businesses and sevices from other members instead of corporations, free technical advice, having a membership that is optional....... wait a minute, thats not a business at all- its a COMMUNITY, and right there is the very thing that put the final twist in janets drawers.

i understand what print media has meant to this hobby, i also understand that ideas traded will always be more imprtant to me than ideas preached. thats why i'm here, i'm pretty sure thats why you built this community. times they are a changin in the traditional hot rod and custom crowd, if you dont work for the 2 publications that seem to understand that then you're gonna be just a confused as janet.

4. 1958apache

1958apache

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I'll bring this one back up to the top. I needed to watch this video today... for me it kinda resets the switch and helps remind me what this car stuff is all about. From the early drag race scenes to the Kustoms with a "K" driving in and back to the salt.... its a little peek at all of it.

I was feeling bummed bout my car and my budget for it but these squirrels reminded me its just about doing it one piece at a time.

Thanks Ryan, (months later).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. Back from the dead!!!!!.......I stumbled across this and had to think. This band of "hoodlums" is still thriving, gaining new ground by showing a new generation (and some older) where this all started and way more importantly how to do it themselves. It's still a revolution on the mainstream, it has even helped other magazines flourish, start up and change (HRD)...while some of the magazines listed in the original blog disappeared.

At a time when most of the large magazines ignored the past (they supposedly created) we reveled in it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. I know this is an old thread that I missed.:oops: Ryan, enough said! That montage made my morning. :cool:I feel like building another hot rod right now. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  8. slack

slack

So, apparently, we're deplorable "hoodlums" in this guy's estimation? So? I prefer that company to the company of all the CEO's (and writers/editors for that matter). I wear those monikers proudly. Besides, you know what they say about opinions and their similarity to a certain body part? Perhaps, instead of feeling the need to explain yourself, you simply could have said: "Hey, I provide a service. what do ya want from me?" Isn't that how the Hamb came about? The majority clamored for it and you said: "Okay, here's your hokey-ass message board"? This post smacks of being "called in on the carpet" and, personally, I don't get it. Is this guy some sort of indispensable, hotrod authority/god that we (or you, whichever the case may be) are accountable to? I get the strong sense that Janet is making a veiled threat and would have you Zuckerburging (read censoring) the HAMB.
    "I often get blamed for the stuff you guys write on the H.A.M.B. and to be honest, that’s a responsibility I don’t always cherish."
    I would love to know how you are remotely responsible for the free thought of others? I can't speak for everyone but as far as I am concerned, you can free yourself of ever being responsible for anything I say. I speak my mind. I try to be diplomatic and tactful but in the end, I am unapologetic for my views and opinions. Anything less is un-American and as such, unacceptable.
    I have tried to consider all possible contingencies for your perspective on this thing, not the least of which is a legal/fiscal bearing. Maybe there are some esoteric things going on that I can't possibly perceive. Maybe your perspective is forced because of legalities and the old "bottom line" and maybe you are unable to speak freely about these matters. If that's the case, I get it. This clown referred to you as a Kid and a thief. My reply to that woulda been short and sweet but I don't run a website, so......
    He asked you a question and I would like to ask you one. Feel free to ignore it as it is inconsequential: "Do you consider yourself a part OF us or Apart FROM us?" I certainly don't know the answer (I thought I did) but I know what it looks like. It doesn't matter either way. you run a business that provides a service. Loyalty isn't part of the equation. You have done a good thing with the creation of the HAMB and it is more than just crude opinions. It is the passing down of knowledge and as such is much bigger than the sum of its parts. Congratulations, Ryan.
    No reply necessary.

PS: The montage was cool and denoted more than a passing interest in the subject. The music and the imagery were masterfully combined and the resulting synergy spoke to the passion of its creator. You can't fake that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  9. Just a Bump BTTT ...

10. Just watched it again after having a couple of glasses of a nice Zinfandel with my late lunch / early diner. I think Janet needs to take off his billet aluminum panties and get into the real world of Hot Rods and Customs. I am almost 73 and I lived it way back then and can re-live it every day here on the HAMB. That's it in a nut shell! Thanks Ryan

Hoodlums? really! br01-1957[1].jpg

11. 32 Ford,
    That is a great pic.
    I love seeing the old days and how people looked and dressed.
    I am assuming they are your old buddies and maybe you are one of them.
    I notice that all of them are slim too,,,everybody just looked more grown up and cool back then.

Tommy

12. tjm73

tjm73

When they print the same "tech" (fluff really) article in 2 or 3 titles, they ought to expect readers to abandon ship.

kidcampbell71 and arkiehotrods like this.
  13. Hombre

Hombre

Being called a Hoodlum by some self righteous cat named Janet---Hummm made my day! Thanks Ryan

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. After nine years have past and the ivory towers have crumbled is it time to expose which publication Janet was associated with?

This is just the latest round of titles to disappear from the landscape, several notable names preceded them and they are missed but like i Janet's case failure to listen to the people they are trying to serve didn't help their cause.

Ryan, on my mind is a visionary, he saw a segment of the hobby that was not being served and he offered a platform for like minded hot rodder's and custom guys a place to hang out and grow as a global community,

It seems Janet liked things exactly as he envisioned and Ryan was opening the door's for creative builders along a traditional train of thought.

Viva La Hamb! HRP

15. This thread just popped back up and I wasn’t on The H.A.M.B. back when Ryan wrote the original post. I read the original post, but haven’t read all of the comments yet. The only print magazine I still get is Hemmings Classic Car. This scratches my stock itch. Everything else I learn is from you guys. At one point I subscribed to 6 or 8 monthly car magazines. They just couldn’t cover what you guys have taught me. I’m not a techno freak, I do well to use my cell phone and the diagnostic laptops at work and I am NOT on any other social media. Any spare moment of time for me is H.A.M.B. time. You are always with me and I check in several times a day. I used to read my car magazines in an hour cover to cover and then had to wait for the next. No longer. Thank you Ryan and long live the H.A.M.B.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed this long ago, interesting reading. If the HAMB didn’t exist “Janet” would have no venue to vent his frustrations. The HAMB helps where the old magazines quit and the HAMB didn’t change magazines. I’m now receiving a free subscription to HR with the hope I’ll continue when it’s over. That won’t happen. 13 pages of Drag Week is just too much for me along with super high dollar builds. The few good information pieces and interviews won’t keep me either, sorry.
    The HAMB has the information I crave even at 75. Keep the faith all, especially Ray....

arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. ... does Janet need an employment referral ?

Lone Star Mopar and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

So with folks now using and sharing their builds and projects on places like Instagram or Facebook without any moderation is the Hamb eventually to suffer a similar fate ? Ive noticed many of the "regulars" that used to frequent here are gone or rarely heard from any longer.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moderation is a good thing. It keeps things relatively on track, and points most of the Janet's towards the cave where they belong.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  20. Granted some members have moved on to the main stream social media but we have a large ever-growing list of Emeritus members that are no longer with us.

I believe there will always be a niche for people who wish to subscribe to the hamb & the Ford Barn. HRP

21. Exactly, much like our recent member monte 123 that thought the hamb should change to be more inclusive and open up to newer cars. HRP

zman likes this.
  22. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Looks like Janet just got a lot more time to build a hot rod.....
    I don't know how you sleep at night, Ryan....

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before Monte's thread got locked, I wish someone would have told him that, if I recall correctly, Ryan did move the cutoff year up from '64 to '65 on the day he introduced to us his newly purchased '65 Riviera. That would have really gotten ol' Mont's panties in a wad.

24. guy1unico

guy1unico

Luv the Hamb but most the guys with money that want the nice cars still love paper!
    Hoping RJ puts a classified section in back.

25. Man, I hope they don't, to me that would just distract from the content. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  26. I bet monte has a Peloton.:p

charleyw likes this.
  27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Montage Tells The Tale...Well Done... 57cee61723c556161ff1682eb2e64614.jpg

41 GMC K-18 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. Janet is in the unemployment line right about now...

sodbuster, Tman and LOU WELLS like this.
  29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to reiterate, what has transpired. Viva la HAMB!!

30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think Janet must've went to work for big tech.....

41 GMC K-18 likes this.