Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Car Movie Fun-Facts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Victory99, Feb 22, 2017.

1. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Those Challengers are from the Vanishing Point remake in 1996, actually a pretty good movie too. Cool cars to see, Ted Stephens supplied a lot of the parts to build those, they were on display at the MoPar Nats after vanishing Point II was released. He has the dirty Challenger (not washed after filming) used for stunts and full throttle shots in the desert etc and the Hero car which is in excellent condition.

Always found it interesting in the original Vanishing Point movie they slammed a Camaro into the bulldozers instead of the Challenger

That is a great museum.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Great Hot Rod Episode from the really early days of racing. [​IMG]

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-10_5-17-51.png
    Hello,
    The series, Reprisal follows "a relentless femme fatale who, after being left for dead, leads a vengeful campaign against a bombastic gang of gearheads." With a definition of a TV show like that, we had to watch the series. Plus Abigail Spencer is one of our favorite actresses on many shows we have watched, so what is not to like? We have only gotten past the first episode, so it will be a weekly presentation on a streaming channel, HULU.
    upload_2019-12-10_5-18-29.png
    The characters are from some of the more popular series on current TV programming. It has a odd way of looking at form of Reprisal. (revenge) The time period and story is pure fiction, but some may recognize parts of North Carolina as a background, in the Carolina Beach and Wilmington area.

Jnaki

But, where is that drag strip located in the area?

upload_2019-12-10_5-19-17.png
    From Wilmington news:

“As it hit the ground running in Wilmington this summer, the production has also stocked up on older model cars to match its nostalgic aesthetic.

Since filming began, “Reprisal” has adorned Cardinal Lanes on Shipyard Boulevard with neon lights, traveled out to the oft-used Ideal Cement plant, and journeyed to Jimbo’s Diner and Graham’s Barber Shop. On the EUE/Screen Gems Studios lot, where it houses offices, it also built several sets, including a massive 40-foot-high burlesque club compound that acts as a home base for the show’s aforementioned gearheads.

But on Friday, the show will undertake its most ambitious day of on-location shooting yet, as it stages a car chase scene on Greenfield and Martin streets, complete with simulated gunfire. Nearby residents need not worry about dodging the fleeing cars. The chase sequence will be conducted in a controlled and cordoned off environment between 4th and 8th streets.

“Reprisal” shot its first episode last fall, just weeks after Hurricane Florence hit the region. In fact, the production paid to have storm debris for a swath of Wayne Drive residents so it could shoot scenes in the neighborhood.

Since last fall, the show has been making a significant investment in the area.

The pilot episode had a $10 million budget, resulting in approval for a $2.3 million funding award from the state’s film grant program. The budget for the remainder of the 10-episode first season is confidential on a grant application filed with the N.C. Department of Commerce, which oversees the program.

But the state has approved the production to received $10.7 million based on its local spend, pending a post-production audit. The budget may be confidential, but with the program parameters – a production can receive up to 25 percent of its total local spend back from the grant – it can be inferred that the series is spending at least $40 million to finish out the season.

According to its application, it is employing about 450 local crew members, with plans to bring in upwards of 750 local background extras through production.”

upload_2019-12-10_5-20-37.png

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  4. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Been watching. Really good show. If your into this kind of shit.

5. gatz

gatz

In Goldfinger, one real puzzle was how they compacted a Lincoln Continental convertible into a cube (no fluids or body parts shown leaking out) and then Odd Job, in a Ford Ranchero easily hauls it away with no discernible effects to the Ranchero.
    Musta been one of those 2-ton specials

Once watched an episode of Superman and the driver, George Reeves climbs out of a Thunderbird on the right.
    Really strange to see a "British" TBird, but then other things appeared in reverse; they must have gotten the film in backwards. How would that have been done?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  6. daliant

daliant

Don't forget about the million dollars worth of gold in the trunk of the Lincoln, If my calculations are correct that would be about 1800 pounds of gold at 1965 prices.

7. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Speaking of Vanishing Point, this is the gas station from the end of the movie. It's in Cisco, UT. I stop there periodically. The first photo is from 2016 and the second is from August of this year.

IMG_1346 (Small).JPG IMG_6894 (Small).JPG IMG_1353 (Small).JPG

8. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I keep thinking I'd like to rent a new white Challenger to drive out there and recreate this shot but Cisco is kind of in the middle of nowhere (north of Moab on I-70) and there isn't a rental place anywhere close by.

attachment-image-5481a2e5-093e-414f-a83b-d0f9f405beb8.jpg Cisco Utah (82)1.jpg

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Hwy 128 branches close from there, follows the Colorado. Lots of commercials and movie scenes have been shot along the way. Opens up into some nice slickrock country. At one time the Dewey bridge was the only place to cross for a long ways.

10. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I would love to drive that trip, one of my favorite movies. The white challenger rental would be nice then also find a new white Camaro that you can run into the bulldozer like they did in the original.

On a side note I have driven most/all of the route in Duel.

mad mikey likes this.
  11. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Over Christmas my wife was watching the Hallmark channel and one of the new shows had a beautiful 65 Dodge Polara Convertible as a prominent feature of the movie. Beautiful car and looked like a nice survivor.

12. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

wonder who is the owner of this sharp 32 roaster pulling into Bob's in Glendale 1948?
    8:24

lurker mick and tr_rodder like this.