Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Do you remember one of our early conversations about chopping the top and not leaning the A and B post in to adjust for the narrower distance above the glass?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yes and I am still sorting that out. The pickup you showed as an example was pretty easy as the A pillars are big and meaty. The ones on the Chevy are kinda thin and spindly. I know it can be done, I just have to make the right cuts. I have 3 roofs to work with. Something you said has stuck with me...
    "...the radius is your friend..."

3. I did my 50 Olds that way. That was a dang long time ago. Wish I had photographed it. Wish I knew where it ended up! By the way, I'm excited to see this coming together. You've done well.

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thank you sir! I'll take that compliment with the upmost respect!

Rich B. and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I cant help but love to see how something cleans up after you cut that rusty edge off it, making it sanitary and whole again, ready to accept new metal:D I know, Im weird but have a feeling I may not be alone:D
    Lookin good!

Jrs50, chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  6. I couldn't help but think about the A posts on this project. I hear ya about them being light weight. That really isn't an issue. In looking at this photo
    [​IMG]
    I believe you can just remove the actual pinch weld lip and leave all the rest of the post drip rail and all on the Cowell your going to use. On the new roof panel just remove the drip rail and with a cut off disc cut it vertical on the inside and outside removing it from the door jamb section. Take the amount off the new part your Chopping it and slide it down inside the outer post. This of course after you brace all 4 of them so not to loose there angle or inside outside measurements. You may need to use a small section of the very bottom of new post section to get bottom corner right for the glass.

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Cutting cars apart on a gorgeous November Sunday afternoon is a great way to spend the day. The obligatory "roof on the ground" picture but this roof isnt going back on this car. 20191117_124439.jpg 20191117_124525.jpg 20191117_124455.jpg

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

Been harvesting parts from the 2 door donor. I need to repair the rusted out cowl braces so the doors are supported properly. When I cut the roof off it became very apparent that these braces are important! I need to decide the best place to cut the donor cowl brace to splice it into the cowl brace that's rusted out. 20191117_134816.jpg 20191117_134823.jpg

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

The next step after repairing the cowl braces is going to be bolting the floor pan and cowl down with the rubber mounting pads at the correct locations, and then start rebuilding the inner rockers on both sides. I purchased a body mounting hardware set when I bought the mounting rubber so I will put all new fasteners in.With the huge stack of fender washers supplied, I'm thinking these might be for shimming where needed. Also, there are only (8) eight 3/8" nuts and 16 bolts of varying lengths. I will find where these go along the way I suppose. The carriage bolts are easy to locate where they go, as the originals have tabs in the floorboards to hold them in place. Lesson learned here is I should have documented what bolt went where when I pulled the body off this car a couple years ago. The donor car will be helpful in figuring all that out.

I'm making this up as I go so all this might change! *shrug*

20191117_141907.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

Doing some repair work on the firewall/cowl mounts tonight. Lots of grinding and sanding trying to make it look halfway decent. I'm going to get the passenger side decent looking then pull the steering column so I can get at the drivers side. So far so good.

20191122_180700.jpg 20191122_181840.jpg 20191122_185013.jpg 20191122_202413.jpg

11. I like to think it all started from those blows to the head we all took when we were young, but no matter what started it, it's so much more satisfying when you're done with something that somebody else said couldn't be done lol.

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's a sickness. I found this and am desperately trying to get in touch with the guy. This would cut my bodywork time in half, having a complete uncut roof to work with. Then I'll have more than enough cars and parts to build a Ute along with a chopped Sedan Delivery! Wait!! One project at a time....:rolleyes: Screenshot_20191207-144944.png

Outback, chryslerfan55, brEad and 4 others like this.
  13. Ya, it's a Sickness. And your among a like minded group not looking for a cure.

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Santa came a little early this year. This was a great score! 20191208_131103.jpg

Jrs50, Gizzy, charleyw and 17 others like this.
  15. Hope the inside is piled full of parts with the back Glass wrapped in foam rubber to protect it. Now where do you start once home?

Outback and RMONTY like this.
  16. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Nice find, you can never have enough panels..................................

RMONTY likes this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

20191208_143712.jpg

Jrs50, kidcampbell71, scott27 and 7 others like this.
  18. RMONTY

RMONTY

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Well the first step is to let the adrenaline rush subside. As silly as it sounds, I am pumped about this find. My mind is moving in too many directions to even begin to think on how to proceed. :confused:

drdave, Bowtie Coupe and Nostrebor like this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

You can barely make out the lettering in the "patina". This was a Tom's Toasted Peanuts car at one time. I think it's a bit too far gone to get it to pop back out with CLR or something like that. What a shame!

[​IMG]

Outback, slv63, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  21. RMONTY

RMONTY

So the gentleman that I bought the car from was gracious enough to load it up on HIS trailer and bring it to my house and drop it off. We made a good deal and both of us walked away happy and smiling. Thanks Ernest!

Outback, slv63, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You're getting qute a collection!

Congrats on getting something someone didn't previously molest to um... molest!o_O

I'm un-screwing up a previous owners hacks on my 51 today as well. I'll smell some grinder dust in your honor.

scott27 and RMONTY like this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

If I can't put something together with all of these cars, I need to find a different hobby!

Outback, 40two, scott27 and 4 others like this.
  24. Congrats!! You now have enough parts to build cars for years!!

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Isn't that the truth!

26. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Mike from the pickers show revealed this was one of his “secrets” to bring the color out on signs etc. 2DABA85D-D85E-4162-BDBA-C4E47E3D4EC5.jpeg

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think I have some of that under the kitchen sink. I will check it out!

Outback likes this.
  28. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Love the idea of a Ute like you stated previously. :):)

craig b blue and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. RMONTY

RMONTY

I have enough sheet metal, doors and chassis's to do that with! (What is the plural of chassis? )

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

Do cars rust that badly in Texas? In my experience, you get the car to the point that you have it now, then find body #2 and it is so good that you abandon the first one.

Outback, chryslerfan55 and mkebaird like this.