Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Rails - who is best now.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Dec 5, 2019.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need to buy a set of 32 rails for an A chop highboy. From what I have been reading there is a lot of love for the JW Garage ones over the American Stamping ones. That still the case?

Thanks
    Pete

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I plan to buy a pair of JW rails because of the kick up in the rear. Bob

3. john walker

john walker

JW rails on my 30 roadster. Nice.

4. deucemac

deucemac

I always liked Henry's best.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I like American stamping better but , you need to have a fixture to pull them into shape as they are flatter than supposed to be usally. The jw have a better shape but the rest look wrong to me

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks all. With the JWs do you need to use their own boxing plates?

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Used them both, boxed 100's of ASC rails in our shop over the years. Then quit boxing and went to factory boxed JW's and had good luck then they had some problems and am currently using ASC's boxed by Hotshoe Hotrods. They've been working good.

panhead_pete likes this.
  8. Has anyone used the rails supposedly made in one of the Canadian western provinces that is made with 10 gauge steel?

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My chassis was built over twenty years ago using ASC rails, they weren't perfect but at the time they were kind of considered to be the rails that most builders used.
    In my view, the bigger concern would be the choice of builder (with jig) and experience.
    One thing I noticed is wrinkling in some spots on the rails top flange, granted, they can be straightened but usually require body filler which is (generally) not compatible if powder coating is planned which was my original intention, now I think it will just be painted.
    I imagine there have been some changes in process made over the years as well as freshening of the stamping dies, this may have something to do with the up/down quality at a given time period.

20171127_161250.jpg

@panhead_pete
    As Krylon 32 said, he probably has as much experience building these chassis' as anyone here.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  10. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Who's that? Name?

11. I don't know the name, thats why I mentioned they were supposed to be made in Canada and of 10 gauge instead of 11 gauge steel. They were advertised on Ebay for a while.

12. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I was curious if you could provide a name or a clue to the vendor, because there's a snake on the west coast nobody should send a dollar to.

13. Fogger

Fogger

I've built three '32 Fords with ASC rails, success is based on the accuracy of the frame jig. My last frame was welded together by Gary Maxwell and his jig is the most impressive and accurate so far. Gary is Blackboard Hot Rods in Bakersfield, Ca.

hotrodtodd1960 and panhead_pete like this.
  14. Hopefully Dirty's Speed Shop will chime in....with his jig picture and set up preference........

panhead_pete likes this.
  15. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

09A5DEF3-B3A8-46F4-AE61-098D85970FB0.jpeg
    Another vote for Gary Maxwell, amazing workmanship!

54reno and wackdaddy like this.
  16. the-rodster

the-rodster

17. What are the differences between Gary Maxwell's (Blackboard Hot Rods) and Duane Jones (Kiwi Konnection) frames? I understand they both worked at Kiwi Konnection back when Squeek Bell had it.
    The two frames appear near identical.

panhead_pete likes this.
  18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Pete Eastwood built mine back in the early 80's and its still going strong. Don't know if he is doing them any more or not. He used original Henry rails though...……...

panhead_pete and The37Kid like this.