Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage New Years Day 2020 So Cal Cruise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think I should've posted this a little earlier, but I'm always a little behind on things. Anyway, I'm looking to drum up some interest in doing a cruise here in So Cal on New Years Day. Weather permitting of course, but typically Jan 1 around here is pretty nice, people all over the world tune their TV's to watch the Rose Parade, and very few of them have ever been cancelled due to rain, in fact it's usually a gorgeous day.

I've been doing this for a number of years with my wife, last year I posted a thread here and we got about 6 cars out for a real nice cruise with plenty of stops to talk and take photos, up the back way to Mt Baldy, where we stopped and had a real nice lunch. And then we bombed down the hill and went our separate ways. It was a great day on the road and everyone had a blast.

I'm looking to do the same again this coming Jan 1, but I hope to grow the participation a bit. The route doesn't have to be the same, I'm open to suggestions on that. If there is interest down south OC or north San Diego Co. we could move it that way; or up north of LA, if that would get more folks involved. At this point I'm totally flexible. I just want to get the cars out and stretch their legs on some back roads somewhere, then stop to get a lunch and enjoy the company of some other hot rodders.

If you're interested, reply here, or via pm if you prefer. IMG_4216.JPG

LOU WELLS, jnaki, 32Dan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

32Dan likes this.
  3. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Most likely weather permitting..

Blues4U and 32Dan like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea...this year out of MANY without snow, the road has got a good coat of snow on it already. The news said that this is the first year in...50... years that the snow has "covered" Baldy before the end of the year. I've got a LOT of years worth of photos while sitting in the grand stands at Pomona for the Winter Nationals and have taken pictures of the bare San Gabriel Mtn's.
    Not this year. Already heavily covered.

Might want to look at a different location than the mountains this year.

Mike

Blues4U likes this.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Mike are you up to joining us?

6. tomic

tomic

This past New Year's drive was pretty good, nice bunch of folk and diverse cars. Chilly! But hey, cars are for driving. Second time around sounds great.

Blues4U likes this.
  7. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

Weather permitting....
    [​IMG]

8. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Nova Thug, 32Dan and Blues4U like this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Na, don't have anything "old" and running with enough horse power to make it up any hills, much less a mountain. Hopefully by summer. Plus, I've never had a car that I could put chains on the tires, not enough wheel well room..!
    Thanks for asking.

Mike

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Of course! If it gets rained out we'll reschedule it. No sense in heading out into a storm.

32Dan likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Trust me, the run we make will be appropriate for the conditions. I'm not heading up into the mountains if the roads are not clear. There's plenty of options, and I'm open to suggestions. Like I posted above, if the weather sucks we'll reschedule it.

32Dan likes this.
  12. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Interested, what are you thinking ? Where is the starting point?

13. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

I'm game again, as the GF has to work again. Let's hope for good weather and do it! Hard to top last year's route. Maybe something that takes us thru Carbon Canyon?

32Dan likes this.
  14. toml24

toml24

Recommend you go the "Donut Derelicts" car show in Huntington Beach Saturday morning (5:30am-8:30am). You will find many people with vintage their cars and trucks who might be interested.

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not sure yet. Last year we met in Azusa, and took Hwy 39 up to East Fork, and turned right there and took that up to Glendora Ridge Route and took that up to Mt Baldy where we stopped for some lunch and a gab session. This year we could do something else. Maybe a cruise out Santiago Canyon Rd and hang a left on Live Oak Cyn and take that all they way through the canyon, up and over the hill and head down to the 5, and take that down to Hwy 74 and take that over the Ortega Hwy, stopping for a meal at Hell's Kitchen or The Lookout Roadhouse, and then down to Lake Elsinore and back up the 15 home.

Or, if some south county, or SD guys want to join us, maybe we take a run up Palomar Mtn Rd?, or We could run out to Julian maybe? I don't know, there's so many possibilities. Whatever you all want to do. If the weather is good and there's no threat of snow on the roads, that route from last year was pretty good, I wouldn't mind doing it again.

32Dan likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Blues4u,
    Wow, like minds think alike. All of So Cal is ripe for any cruise or road trip at a moment's notice. There are so many things and places to see and do that have fun driving scenarios with plenty of rewards. This one, the guys/girls in the coastal areas and the city central areas of San Diego County could participate. Who wouldn't want apple pie and then end up in La Jolla beaches for a winter stroll before heading home? The gathering point could be the Dana Point Harbor, at the end of the coastal route or the freeway.

Route one: to Juilian-Alpine-coastal route home
    upload_2019-12-8_4-21-21.png
    Route 2 La Jolla included:

upload_2019-12-8_4-22-11.png

Ready for the So Cal 200? This route is one that we have taken many times. Those times were spent exploring and since they were many years apart, it did not get old…or the mind forgot what we saw the last time we were on that road trip. The trip includes a long, beautiful ocean side view and highway speeds. Then downshifting around corners and hills took over in the mountain drives. Finally, a mid way stop at Julian for lunch and delicious apple pie.

The area in San Diego county does get snow, but it has to be a powerful storm to drop snow down to 4000 ft. this far inland and stay there. Last year on January 1st, 2019, it was very cold on the coast (59-60) and inland 33-40, but no storms in So Cal and clear weather for a good road trip. But, so far, it has been rather cold and we did get local mountain range snow. The good thing, the weather sites are fairly accurate as to predicting rain or snow for at least 10 days out. Most storms that show up on a satellite/radar map have already shown the concentration heading our way. So, the predictions are good. Anything up to 40% prediction for rain...it will rain in So Cal.

Jnaki

For the return trip home, there are many highways to choose. But, back then, we chose to continue South and into the nearby small mountain range as we whipped by, back to the San Diego coast line. There, we had an afternoon stop over in the coastal city of La Jolla. That appeased both of us, as it was a drastic change of scenery from a small county town to a modern coastal city and pristine beaches. My wife has always liked La Jolla and the beautiful coastal drive home along the old highway that merges into the I-5 near Camp Pendleton.

Then the drive home was a straight shot down I-5 back to the OC. Ocean views included…

For comparison purposes only:

Mt Baldy: 4000+ ft But, locked into a big long mountain range that gets a lot of snow at most elevations.
    Big Bear : 6700 Lots of snow, when it snows…like this year with 4-5 feet of fresh snow from the last storm.

Julian: 4000+ ft The highways 76 and 79 stay below the peaks of the Cleveland Forest and the Cuyumaca State Park Mountain range, so the road is usually clear and smooth.
    Palomar Mt: 6000+ Ft

Blues4U likes this.
  17. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Orange County or North San Diego would be good for me.

Blues4U likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bump, trying to stir more interest. Come on So Cal Hambsters, let's get those rides out. Absolutely gorgeous day today, hoping for another day like today on Jan 1!

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

20. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Any thoughts on the route yet?

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So I'm thinking about something like this. Meeting somewhere in Orange of the 57 fwy along Chapman Ave. The highlited route should be about 70 miles, add the miles to get to the start, and then the return and overall will be about a 100 mile day I think, which should be good for a leisure New Years Day run, nothing too aggressive. We'll have a late start, and we can still be home before dark.
    New Years Day 2020 Cruise map I.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This is the Ortega Hwy. Be careful.

primopro, Special Ed and jnaki like this.
  23. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Sounds good..

primopro likes this.
  24. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

I’m in

Blues4U likes this.
  25. Caprice89

Caprice89

I would love to come and join you guys. Only 5500 miles away. :(

Sent from my online shouting device

das858 and Blues4U like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Would love to have you. Wish more of the local guys were interested!

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

10 day forecast still calls for "Mostly Sunny" skies, no rain on Jan 1, after several clear days. Looks like a storm is moving in around Sunday night and hanging around through Thursday, then clearing up and remaining clear through the remainder of the holidays at least. We should have good weather for the day!

28. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

I might be able to swing it. I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates...

Blues4U likes this.
  29. I moved from So Cal. If it's sunny here, (Cal Central Coast) I'll take the roadster out and pretend I'm out bumpin' the boulevard with you guys. Have fun.

Blues4U and Special Ed like this.
  30. primopro

primopro
    from Corona, CA

Blues4U likes this.