Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 296ardun,

Nice historic photos of some of the popular racers in So Cal. Those photos are clear and don't have copyright logos on them, that makes them easier to see and enjoy. In order for most that did not get a chance to see the two mentioned drag racing cars in action, here is a very short film of the Creighton Hunter/Hill Acala Roadster in action at Lions Dragstrip in 1959.
    Creighton Hunter /Hill Acala Red Roadster

The next film was the restored red roadster in all of its finest at the 2017 grand opening of the original Lions Museum in 2017. I called it the “movie corner” as my films were playing continuously on the 80+ inch TV monitor above the Hunter/Hill/ Acala display. It was also on display in the current 2019 opening at the new Lions Dragstrip Museum, too.

Hunter/Hill/Acala red roadster in the 2017 original Lions Museum display corner…with some movies playing on the big screen.

The final film was a happenstance as a friend said that the Rakers Modified Coupe was coming to the line. So, I scrambled to get the movie camera ready. It was the only time I got a shot of it racing.

HERE IS THE LATEST ACTUAL SOUND FROM THE RAKERS BLUE COUPE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=zs5GDiEfUvY

FILM AT LIONS, RAKERS ACTUAL “SOUND” AT POMONA ALL IN 1959-60. THANKS, TROY CAGLE.
    upload_2019-12-7_4-18-26.png
    Rakers Car Club with Bruce Woodcock driving

Thanks for all of your historic posts and original information from back in those days. You were quite the drag racer, knowledgeable historian, and everyone needs to understand those facts.

Thanks,

Jnaki

bchctybob, 1947knuck, Spoggie and 3 others like this.
  2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Won't feel too safe in that situation myself. That's a big hell no right there for me!

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

The jewels don't look to safe if that rear end just happened to grenade....

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

My thoughts exactly too.

Deuces likes this.
  7. rooman

rooman

As far as I can determine this is an early mock up of the Karl Krohn and Sonny Rossi driven Junior Fuel car of Bud Morehouse, most likely with Karl in the car as Sonny was only 4' 3" tall and did not drive the car until later in its racing history. The final configuration was not "legs under" as it would have been physically impossible for Karl to get in and out of the car. A legs under car had the driver set back further from the rear end and the only part of his legs that went under the rear end were his shins with the pedals mounted low just ahead of the axle housing.
    Read more about Bud's creation here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/res...ds-lightest-fuel-dragster-back-meet-underdog/

Roo

Spoggie, tommyd, lurker mick and 3 others like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I thought this was a "Legs Under" RCS car. Notables are Jim Barnard, in the seat, Ed "The Ace" far left, and Sid Waterman ,tuning the "Barn Door" injector. IMG_3650.JPG

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  11. rooman

rooman

Marty. that looks to be pretty much the same configuration as the Waterman/Hampshire/Bradley car that was later modified to a legs over configuration. All of the legs under cars that I know of are quite a bit longer from the rear axle rearwards, the Freight Train being a prime example.

Roo

12. Johnny99

Johnny99

Marty, Roo, 296ardun, and jnaki sure nice to have you guys chime in with your knowledge on this stuff. Thanks. Not much of an autograph hound but I have an old tee shirt with three F.E. cars superimposed over one another with "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY" under the cars. I bring it to the CHRR every year so some of the old warriors can add another signature. Feel pretty fortunate to have both Ronnie and Jeep's signature on that shirt.

Ronnie-Jeep.jpg

13. Johnny99

Johnny99

Couple more fellas whose autographs are on that shirt. R.I.P.

gas.jpg grump.jpg

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The above picture with Ronda and Jenkins.

Kinda funny. In later years, Gas Ronda was the dapper, always dressed to the 9's as they say wherever he went, and Jenkins was a bit rough around the proverbial edges.
    In this shot, it's Jenkins with the cool turtle neck and sun glasses, and Ronda in more daily dress.

Interesting how things change.

Mike

chryslerfan55 and Junior Stock like this.
  15. Here's a picture from back in the day!
    78763186_2501558326626232_4470894379124391936_n.jpg
    This picture represents a couple of my favorite places back in the mid 60's. Covina Auto Dismantling at the corner of Grand Ave & Arrow Highway and Fontana Drag City.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Cool, I did not know that that wrecking yard ran a race car. It was a pretty big yard. Much larger than others in the area.
    I grew up about two stones throws away in brand new houses about two blocks away. The junk yard later (about 1965 or 66) turned into a drive in theater, which later turned into a combination of both houses and condominiums and even a small apartment building at one corner of the lot. It was/is a big plot of land.

Mike

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

18. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

SDTrain-1-1o.jpg

19. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Freight Train was for lack of a better term "Legs Up To" the rear end - not over the top or under like the original picture that was posted.
    FTP-12.jpg

20. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

21. I lived not far from there myself. 1955 - '62 near Cypress and Grand, 1963 - '64 on Bender behind the wrecking yard. I went to Charter Oak my high school years, 1962 - '66.

chryslerfan55, Dean Lowe and loudbang like this.
  22. socalboatman

socalboatman

309 N. Bender Ave for me. Between Badillo and Ruddock. The favorite place for me between my home and the wrecking yard was Ed's Auto Parts. What a nice guy and great place for a kid with little money and big dreams!

23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Wow, we're old neighbors. I lived in the houses "just" West of Cedar Grove school. A chain link fence separated the school from the housing tract I grew up in.
    When high school came calling, I had the opportunity to go to the "old" Charter Oak, or the "new", Royal Oak. Since I was one of the first class to go to Cedar Grove, grade school (or middle school as they are called now), I decided to go to Royal Oak High School. 1965 to 1969
    Ed's Auto Parts was my "first" job as a growing kid. Ol Ed's gone now, but his kids still run the place. Still the same, not much has changed there. I go to other parts stores for most stuff, because Ed's doesn't carry that much "daily" need parts. But for special, or off the wall stuff, or needing a drum or rotor turned..I still go to Ed's Auto Parts.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  24. My Father and I both spent alot of money, over the years, at Ed's. I used to work at the Mobile station on the corner of Grand Ave and Arrow Hwy., southeast corner.
    248258_472895662792100_867144002_n_LI.jpg
    The blue dot is where I lived on Bender. This is a newer picture than when I lived there, this one shows both screens and the bowling alley!

25. rooman

rooman

Nobody built a car in the configuration shown in the picture that started this discussion. It would have been physically impossible to get in or out of that car unless your knees hinged the opposite way to the majority of us. As I noted the legs under cars had the pedals just ahead of the rear end with the housing (or just axle in the "Train") pretty much above the driver's ankles. If you check out the known legs under cars the majority have the driver sitting very low with the lower rails closer to the ground than the legs over cars.

Roo

26. XXL__

XXL__

Spinning ain't winning, but it's sure fun to watch...

2019-12-12 17.42.00.png

1947knuck, Offset, bitman2112 and 6 others like this.
  27. Johnny99

Johnny99

Glad I got to see these cars run at Seattle in the "old" days of nostalgia drag racing. Gosh were the 80's that long ago? The Bizio truck of Tom Willford with a lot of help from Marty, 554 Coupe with Gerry Steiner at the helm, Jack "The Bear" Coonrod, and Dandy Dick Landy's Dart. Seattle ran a Mopar event the same weekend of some their nostalgia events, hence Landy's attendance. bizio1.jpg 319843-1314255197-1982592aed78de6a1615646b4efa8153.jpg coonrod.jpg landy1.jpg

1947knuck, alfin32, tommyd and 8 others like this.
  28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

XXL -
    Actually...that's a completely false statement. ALL nito fueled engines spun their tires back in the day. Sooo, one out of two spinning pairs of tire'd cars DID win.

As for today, you don't watch much drag racing on TV do you..?
    From nitro fueled engines on down, except for maybe J/SA, a lightly spinning tire creates a faster car. I've seen the computer graphs from a friends D/ED (runs 7.25's regularly, has won several times). As I note above, his quickest runs have a faster wheel speed than the car is actually accelerating. When the wheel speed is closer to the cars actual speed, the E.T.s are slower..!
    If you listen and watch Top Fuel and Funny Car closely, you "may" note the guy's talking about the tires NOT...spinning (lightly of course) and the resultant reaction is..."tire shake"..!

Pay more attention..!

Mike

29. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

I still like “If you’re spinnin, you ain’t winnin”. Rolls off the tongue.