Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Talk about your "fake" patina!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Your truck looks great. I thought about a stake body but was still left with the problem of hiding the battery...

upspirate likes this.
  2. Rather than take the box down to the paint dealer, just bring the car down, that way you are sure to match the part you are keeping. Most any paint dealer will have the set up to match the paint on the car.....heck, lots or O' Reilly's stores have them, too.

41rodderz, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Unfortunately the devices paint suppliers use to match paint colors rarely come close to a viable match. It usually takes lots of tinting to even get it close. I was painting the trunk on my 56 BelAir and it took lots of trial and error tinting the paint to get it to match.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If I were a yacht builder. that 'glass bucket AND a matching turtledeck would be re-done in teak! Maybe...Clinker style...

loudbang likes this.
  6. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

If it is fake it's an awesome job. That's how it should be done. Looks great.

7. adam401

adam401

The wheelbase looks too short for a turtledeck. How about that real short pickup bed thing that some T buckets have. Theres very little surface area on that car. Seems like scuffing it and paining it along with what ever treatment you choose for the back wouldnt be a big deal. Single stage out in the driveway on a still warm morning. Good enough.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I've seen this same debate with guitars. Fender "relics" and Gibson "ages" I see a lot of people hate on this idea. I think of it as art if it is done well. A bad age job can look horrible but when done right I think it can look great. I have a couple guitars that are aged and after having many shinny guitars over the years it is very liberating not having to worry about scratching them. I think the same about cars. I've seen some amazing faux patina and some terrible ones but not having to wash them all the time and worry about every little mark in the paint can be a great feeling. Just drive it and enjoy.

a boner and anthony myrick like this.
  9. We have had very good luck matching colors on newer cars with the latest gadgets. However, matching age is harder to do.

10. The moniker "HOTRODPRIMER" was bestowed on me long before the internet was a part of our lives, A fellow Tri-City Rod & Custom club member was having fun at my expense at the first big car show we attended that was hosted by the North Atlanta Street Rods at Stone Mountain State Park in the mid 70's.

I had just gotten my 1930 Model A pickup on the road for the second time and this time I had a fresh coat of red primer I sprayed the night before, at the show you could smell the primer from 10 foot away.

Charles had been consuming a lot of beer that day and he took the bottom of the cardboard from the case of beer and in his best Crayola script scrawled out, "Best Paint Award" HOTRODPRIMER , and stuck it between the headlight bar and the radiator.

Most of my cars up to that date never received a proper paint job and red primer was my go to finish.

So now you know! :D

[​IMG]

11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I like the pick up idea that @upspirate has. Maybe the bottom the same level as the bottom of your body and the same color and the stakes out of wood. I also like the stainless tank. Maybe put the battery in a old school cooler or ammo box. Good luck with whatever you decide.

upspirate likes this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Sorry I didn't realize you already ordered the turtle deck. I wasn't even sure what it was so I checked them out. That would look great as well.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pashit is just a suck word for rust. Putting clearcoat on it makes me puke.

14. Then stop doing it:)

15. It’s strange really,,,,,when I was a kid,,we were pretty poor.
    Now people actually paint their stuff to look like crap.
    I just don’t get it,,,,whatever.

But,,,,don’t go too far,,,,,the R word is getting close,,,,,Taboo here,,,with good reason.

Tommy

16. Really guys, it's just an idea. Not necessarily going to do it. It would actually be a lot harder than just a paint job. It would take a lot of time to get it done just right.

a boner likes this.
  17. Folks get their draws wadded up over that “P” word.

18. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Exceptional cars result from unique personal vision; don’t be afraid to follow your own star. Regards your concern for hiding the battery, the charm of a naked hotrod is seeing its insides all on the outside. What makes a car special is creative detail. That said, a visible battery creatively mounted and tidily wired can be a cool feature— machine aesthetic if you will. Look into a PC680 Odyssey battery... a big ol’ black Group 24 is overkill on a small rod.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. BJR

BJR

Mark Yac likes this.
  20. Topless?
    No shit!
    Hehehehe
    Screenshot_20191206-175240.png Screenshot_20191206-175252.png
    Just build a wrecker bed and forget about it..
    You can always "hook" the 70s back with them wheels

21. upspirate

upspirate

OOPS! :rolleyes::confused:
    That tag was actually off the yellow roadster in my avatar at one time!:D

22. I like...we dont wear shirts out here either...

upspirate likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

image.png
    Not as red as the nowadays red primer. I like what Ken From the Rolling Bones does to his primer. I would assume he tints the red primer with a little black primer, but that's just a guess.

luckylou, alfin32 and Hnstray like this.
  24. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, after hanging out here for going on 15 years, my gut tells me to stay away from these black hole posts. But, if it's good enough for HRP, I guess the standard has been set. Rusty-Dusty seems like a reasonable & forthright guy, so I felt compelled to chime in. Here's a pic of my fake patina done years ago in the driveway. Yes, it's my dirty little secret. Rattle can primer, rattle can flat brown enamel & some black paint, subtlety rubbed in with my bare hands. The funny part is, the fake patina has now taken on a real patina.

Rusty, there were reasons behind my personal decision. (1) I came to terms with the fact that I can never keep anything nice (as in a real paint job or a new shirt). The constant mishaps have caused too many restless mights. I know everyone can identify with that. (2) Money. The aforementioned paint job was about $60. (3) If you don't have great skills, space & equipment to restore an ancient body, do-it-yourself shiny paint might not be the best idea. (4) You don't have to do any touch-ups! (5) We here in the northeast don't just find perfectly patina-ed cars lying around. Our stuff goes from nice paint to rust holes, overnight. You'd think the cars were made of compressed rust. If you would happen to have a car with perfect patina & you have to fix one dent or install one patch panel, it's very difficult to blend it in with the real thing. And, then you'd be branded as a fake patina guy forever. I guess that's why my neighbors were scowling at me when I committed that deed, so long ago, in the light of day. Or was it the fumes & overspray?

FAKE PATINA
    P1013535 copy.jpg

FAKE PATINA THAT GOT REAL PATINA
    IMG_4066 2.jpg

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

680F4CF3-4E3B-48FD-8D1A-312A479F7BA8.jpeg I’m tired of this finish

UNCLECHET and loudbang like this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

a lot harder to do than you think .[​IMG]

Shutter Speed likes this.
  27. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

I love the patina look. It took 50 years to get the look , you can paint it in an hour. My bike is 1999 with 3000 orig. miles on it and my roadster is glass. If it's got a shine it ain't mine...………….

Attached Files:

32SEDAN and a boner like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-25_4-24-4.png
    Hello,
    The traditional thing to do to any old car was to shine it up as much as possible for daily driving. Those cars that sat in backyards and fields took on their own character. When my brother and I went to pick up our Model A coupe, it had been covered with a canvas tarp for weeks, months or possibly a year or longer. Weather plays havoc on all paints and this Model A took on a faded look all over the whole body. The black paint looked thin here and there. Overall, it look drab and not shiny at all. That was good and bad. When the owner bought the car and it was shiny.

Time and weather took its toll and the poor Model A sat for who know how long. On our way to junior high school, we used to see if for at least a year. Covered of course, but the canvas tarp did not cover everything. My brother did not care what the car looked like as our goal was to get it painted, eventually. So, after bringing it home, we washed and cleaned out this old faded Model A Coupe. Its history and glory faded, just like the surface paint. It was well used and abused. But, because of the way it looked and/or bad memories, the lady lowered the price if we took it that day. It was an offer we could not refuse.

We have always liked the flat paint look. We called it primer. Whether it was red primer or flat black primer, it was the basic paint for our hot rod builds. That initial spray paint gave us a start in the hot rod, getting started and look ready during the assembly to completion. Then when we saved up enough money for a paint job, it would be sprayed on to finish the build. But, our goal was to get the hot rod finished and running well before we took it apart to have it painted to completion. So, a flat primer was the standing hot rod/drag race/street legal look.
    upload_2020-1-25_4-19-17.png
    Over the years, we would not think of any car or hot rod (to buy/build) that was not finished with a nice color. If the 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was not painted a red color, but a primer, we probably would not have purchased it in the state it was sold to us. My wife was a stickler about what the car would look like, with her driving around in it. My wife gradually came back into the fold of the flat black paint color. She had seen several modern coupes and a couple of early hot rods with black primer or as the factory calls it “frozen”. The overall look of the car hits most people first. She liked the car, then the paint. Now, we see flat black paint jobs on just about everything from coupes to giant SUVs/trucks.
    upload_2020-1-25_4-20-7.png
    When I showed her the photos of the old Suburban Wagon that I took, she loved the look. Flat black primer that had a sheen, but still looked like flat primer paint. It just fit the bill. Now, here is the odd situation… She said that if the old Suburban drove well, was comfortable, and had A/C, she would not mind it if that was one of our daily drivers. She was getting used to seeing so many new cars and trucks with the flat primer or frozen paint look that to her, it is just another color choice. She even selected a frozen grey paint on a huge 4x4 Raptor for a truck she would like, if we moved to Colorado. IF…

Jnaki
    upload_2020-1-25_4-21-54.png

Who knows if other cars we see are sprayed on primer paint or the latest in car wraps. But, definitely we both do not agree with the look of a "fake patina, rusty look" on any car. It just does not look real. In our So Cal neighborhood, there are several farm implement displays of rusty tractors and other forms of equipment. At first, the rusty tractors and plows were sprayed with a clear coat over the semi rusty equipment. A real fake patina look, but it was preservation of real rust not spreading. Then the rest of the farm equipment got a colorful, real paint job of different colors, as years went by, to create an eye catching display for the shopping center. Paint, not fake rust.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    AHotRod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg
    When posting photos....choose the "FULL IMAGE" option!
    Your deuce roadster looks like a fun HOT ROD!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t put Rocket valve covers on a sbc, and don’t make faux bullet holes with a real gun