Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Comet ROAD-RACER build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 28, 2019.

1. I was able to purchase a 1964 Comet Caliente two weeks ago and Inam excited to build it. It needs floors for starters. But I have a 351w toploader 4 speed, A-100 seats, 1957 ford 9”, black steel wheels and a few other parts I have been collecting. I recently ordered a bubble hood, air induction kit, thunderbolt style air box, 2x4 351w Price Motorsports Intake, Valve cover adapters to put FE baldy valve covers. I know it’s not a 427 for now, it I will make it look like one!

For those that have followed my Falcon build, I plan to make this a brother car to the Falcon. But for now, I just want to drive it!
    Falcon build thread:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1964-falcon-b-fx-build-thread.648057/

I am going to leave it the original pale yellow color and do a black interior. Once I get some more parts in I will tackle the floors, never done floors before, but I have a not welder, what could go wrong! LOL IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1171.JPG

Attached Files:

2. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

You can get those floor panels from Melvins (https://www.melvinsclassicfordparts.com/). My car wasn't as bad so I fabricated the bits myself but once it gets to this stage unless you have the skills and the tools buying repair panels is a no brainer. Good luck with the build - this type of welding is no quantum science, just check out the many Youtube vids on doing this, get some scrap metal to practice and take your time. I would advise against using flux-coated welding rod, gas makes a huge difference (as does 220V). Can't help on the other stuff as my build is very different (am going for road holding & handling - I live in Europe if it explains it)...

loudbang and fiveoh108 like this.
  3. I was hoping there would be some Black Friday sales today or something! Are the ebay ones and the melvins/ macs/ Dearborn/ falcon parts.com metal all the same or is there a difference in the companies? the ebay ones are way cheaper, but I’m guessing the stamping is not as nice and the metal is thinner?

Post some pictures of yo it road racer, that would be cool to see

loudbang likes this.
  4. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

As for the quality, I really don't know - I did not do the comparison because there was no need. Melvins I have used on more than one occasion in the past and found very reliable for sending the right bits (VERY important where I am as returning stuff to the US is not cheap). However, if you're building a replica to race from time to time and not a show car, a slightly inaccurate pressing should not be an issue - as long as fit is reasonable.

My car is an ongoing long term project, most of the stuff I've done to it does not show (other than the rust repairs, I fitted a Mike Maier Panhard rod rear (including his springs), did the Shelby drop up front, fitted generic uprated coils (which I cut to lose the nose bleed stance), 1.25" anti-sway bar, black Bilstein shocks from Maier all round, changed into a manual 16:1 steering box and fitted two OMP racing buckets as well as doing a few more things to make the car driveable and reasonably comfortable). Next on the table is a McLeod 5sp box instead of the 3 on the tree, Wilwood disks and then the 289 gets breathed on. Oh, and if budget allows, some fiberglass panels will go on the car.

Attached Files:

5. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

6. Thank you for the link I have been following that thread for a long time. I am also a member at Comet performance. I think I saw your car there

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. Ohhh I can’t wait to se this one progress...sent ya a PM btw

8. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

@fiveoh108 : yes, possibly I posted there but if it was more than 3 days ago I cannot pinpoint it given my senility ;).

9. loudbang

loudbang

Great another of your threads to follow. :) Didn't you start on another comet awhile back?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Yes that is my dads 1965 cyclone and I finished it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. So I may have overdone it trying to capitalize on the cyber Monday sales.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I ordered:

2x4 351W intake

Bubble hood

4 speed hump

Wilwood brake kit

Dougs Tri-Y 1 5/8 headers for my 351W

FE valve cover adapters and some cool Mercury valve covers (that I plan on having chromed)

1965 Falcon/Comet center link

New Floor plans

SO I have a lot of stuff to work on, floors first. Are Caliente Door panels available anywhere? I did not see them on a quick search through google. I am also looking for a vintage 6 bolt bellhousing/ scattershield like an Ansen or Wedge. I have a brand new Lakewood one, but to fit the headers it would have to be notched and ground on, so I think it would be cooler to use a vintage one anyway. (see the one pictured)

loudbang likes this.
  12. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Hi Mike.....got your glass trunk lid a few years back.....I've had a Wedge sitting around since 65.
    PM me if that helps. 6 bolt, backing plate, stamped Cobra, NHRA (which its not approved)

fiveoh108 and loudbang like this.
  13. I gotta ask..was the bubble hood on sale somewhere?? I really want a Thunderbolt hood for my Falcon..just keep hoping to find a used one someday..

kidcampbell71, fiveoh108 and loudbang like this.
  14. Are these Dougs headers? Great car!

15. loudbang

loudbang

LOOKS GREAT

fiveoh108 likes this.
  16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Yes it does!

17. Not really, you can get discounts and stuff through Dearborn classics such as shipping discounts and % off, but I got it straight from Crites and it was $435 drilled and tapped. It’s just a lot in shipping to the west coast

loudbang likes this.
  18. Yes, these are ceramic coated dougs headers, I had them on my falcon when I had a SBF and gave them to my dad when I went to the 427

loudbang likes this.
  19. Look what I found... All 44 pounds! Never seen one before[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As inspiration, here's a nice AFX style '64 Comet that recently sold via HAMB classifieds

21. I met with a friend and decided to change directions of the comet. We are going vintage road racing!!!! I already have the AFX falcon ... time to make some turns. My friend will be building a 63 409 impala for road racing in parallel with the comet build and we are shooting for SEMA 2021.. also some fun grudge racing at willow springs.

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I think is a smart move to make a major decision like that at this point the project, too many builders change course in the middle of a build resulting in a vehicle that has no theme and looks like a mismatch of idea’s. When I started the re construction of my Cyclone I knew exactly how it would be when finished, ( it’s close to being complete) I deviated very little from my masterplan.
    Keep the build updates coming.
    Jim

mgtstumpy, fiveoh108 and loudbang like this.
  23. I have been working with John from Open Tracker Racing. After the first of the year I should be getting All the performance stuff I need to make a fun street car that turns really well. Some of the parts include
    big bearing spindles,
    upper and lower control arms,
    roller bearing idler arm and spring perches
    Shelby 1” drop,
    1” sway bar and
    Shelby quick steer.

Here is a photoshop from the themoose (thank you themoose, best photo shopper around!) on the photoshop thread. I am going for more of a “Shelby comet” white with black interior, Shelby gauge pod.. I don’t want to make a “tribute car”, just a new creation.. [​IMG]

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Grudge racing a 63 409 Impala o_O

25. John was great to work with when I ordered the front end stuff for my Falcon...quality parts too...

26. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

I approve of the new direction but then I'm biased:)

27. hot diggity dog........ final a build thread I can relate to. is it done yet????????o_O

BigMike

PS... and yes, I'm bigmikes50chevy...... but I have 2 - 64 comets.... so I'm part of the club...........

28. He has been very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  29. Do you have pictures of your comets? Done yet? I just started! Having never done this kind of build I anticipate a 1-2 build for “phase 1” to get it together and running. Then a few years later to make it fast!

loudbang likes this.
  30. finn

finn

Dynacorn is repoping the entire Falcon floor and trunk pans. That route would be better than the hand made floor pans that have been around for years.

Not sure what was stretched to get the longer wheelbase in the Comet, though.

loudbang likes this.