Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. phat rat

phat rat

Sounds like a guy I know who's been accused of cleaning his sand paper in order to reuse it later

2. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I always score junkyards estate sales or cheap and shady pawn shops for crappy tool boxes i repaint em and use em

Sent from my LG-M327 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol ..... thats great

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Doesn't everyone do that?:p

Ben

5. oj

oj

I'll bet he has one of those stainless toothbrushes right beside him to hit the sandpaper with, right? I knew a guy that did that.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you are welding on quarter corners, don't weld within 1/4" either side of the gap, weld in the "crease" is almost impossible to grind... that 1/2" left un-welded will not let the panel fall off... gonna get bondo.
    just did this job... wish I had thought of it earlier...
    lt -qtr.JPG

brEad, LOU WELLS and loudbang like this.
  7. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

If you've ever broken an axle and wondered how to get the stub out of the center section try this. Put a piece of heater hose in the axle tube then slide tacked together welding rods in, turn on the welder & tack the end of the broken stub then pull the whole works out. You're done, that it !

8. BJR

BJR

I new a guy that bought a vacuum cleaner so he could save the dirt!:p

loudbang likes this.
  9. Not exactly sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure I could grind anything in this pic with a 2" angle grinder, thin cutoff wheel , and a Dremel . Bondo is porous ,and you wouldn't want water getting at it from the backside.

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think what he means is the vertical crease (kinda inverted bead). Make your cut and your weld away from that area because it very hard to get weld out of the crease and make it look right when done with the grinding. I was confused at first but I think that's what he meant to say.

loudbang likes this.
  11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Didn't recall this tip being posted. When masking tape gets to where it won't release fully and tear when pulling off roll. 10 to 20 seconds in a microwave will revive it to pull from roll cleanly.

12. I wish I had known this year's ago!

13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I saw a guy at a parking lot car show and his bumper was all rusty and he was talking about getting it rechromed. When I heard him I went to my car where in my tool box I always have a piece of 0000 steel wool. I ask him if I could use it on his bumper on a small area and he agreed. With minimal effort it was shinny. After I handed the steel wool to him. He had his bumper clean of all the rust in 10 min. I told him put a little wax on it and you'll get a month out of it. It looked brand new. he couldn't be happier. I use this technique on any chrome that is not new. It does leave small scratches but on old chrome it's great. Use it dry for best results. Don't be shy it works great on rims, valve covers bumpers etc.

14. Mart

Mart

^^ I prefer the aluminium foil and coke technique. works great in reviving old chrome that is in reality too far gone.

15. Mart

Mart

I have an addendum regarding the simple angle iron lifting bracket for flathead blocks.
    I used it to pull the motor from my truck and it slipped. It slid lengthwise in the valley. To counter this I put a series of large weld blobs along the surfaces to coincide with the shape of the inlet ports. This hopefully will prevent it moving again.

angleironweld.jpg
    Mart.

16. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

You should give the micro fine steel wool a try. From my experience it is quicker and gets in the little pits very well. The kind of scratches it makes on chrome are so minimal you can only see them on brand new chrome. Plus I use it dry which you would think is bad but works amazingly well. Like I said it's on old chrome anyway. Your way did work but it's kind of sticky and the sound of the foil on the metal is not very pleasant. The steel wool gets in small places better like around lug nuts and such. I think you will be surprised just how well it works and you can always have a piece in your car for quick clean up.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  17. embyman68

embyman68

A five gallon bucket for each long one, several short pieces can go in a single bucket. Label the bucket with size/length and it's always easy to grab the right one.

18. donno

donno

I don't use a creeper when under the vehicle, use a self inflating sleeping bag pad and a pillow stuffed in trash can liner.

cktasto, loudbang and BigO like this.
  19. donno

donno

Old brake rotor's make great portable anvil's.

Greezeball, R A Wrench and loudbang like this.
  20. Been doing this for over 30 years. Prior to that, my chains were either taking up valuable space on the walls, or in a pile on the floor.
    I label the buckets with a black marker, number, size, and lengths. That way, I can go to the right bucket every time. I also throw my chain cinches in a bucket. That way, they are all in the same place.
    Bob

21. donno

donno

"Budget Sensitive".

ratrodrodder, loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If I get that comfortable under there I'll fall asleep.......;)

23. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I bought a used Infinity coupe with about 200K miles on it. It ran great but I figured new timing chains were needed so I started taking parts off and when I got to the chain cover it 186,200 scratched in it. I assumed that was the milage of the last chain swap, so I bundled it back up and returned the parts. I hope that mechanic had good Karma after that move. Thanks!

1morecarIpromise! and loudbang like this.
  24. Mart

Mart

I just discovered a set of standard garden secateurs make excellent flush cutters for cable ties.

25. Terrible80

Terrible80

If you have a nut and bolt that you can only reach one at a time a magnet can often be a 3rd hand.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. error404

error404
    from CA

Wait, you threw the glove in the trash!? :p

Nostrebor, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. Clik

Clik

AND put a light bulb in it (that stays on, smart asses) to keep your rods dry.

loudbang and RICH B like this.
  28. Clik

Clik

Just fog the board with spray paint using the tools as a stencil. Oil the tools first and the paint wont stick.

1morecarIpromise! and loudbang like this.
  29. Clik

Clik

I wrap mine with pipe insulation.

30. Clik

Clik

As a kid I spent all day using an old car antenna as a punch to punch the centers out of many rolls of caps that were normally for cap guns. Now-a-days a kid would get locked up as a terrorist for making such devices.