Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How Rare Are These Heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Okay, let's try this again. I seen these in my Facebook group and am wondering how rare they are. I've seen the copper one's on the McGee roadster but not one's with aluminum tops.
    Federal-Mogul heads for 32-36 Ford V8.
    Cast copper-bronze with cast aluminum top covers on the water passages. Made in 1936.

28168837_1865671483477432_820377183342119901_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Carter, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Anybody know anything about these heads?

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know anything about the heads, but I deleted the ad....

LOU WELLS and Speed Gems like this.
  4. There has to be a reason the original owner removed them. HRP

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Not only rare, but super duper rare. I've never seen any before.

Speed Gems likes this.
  6. Back in the early 70's Myself and a partner had an early Ford parts store. We were lucky to have a pair of copper Federal-Mogul heads. Since we were in business to sell parts, we sold them for a decent price. We had a lot of good early parts before they became collectable.

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

That's what i thought @alchemy i've never seen the ones with the aluminum tops before.

8. maybe go over to the Ford Barn and ask...

Speed Gems likes this.
  9. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

That's what i was thinking.

10. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Extremely rare! Could be the only two pair of Federal Mogul heads like this that still exist. Very early speed parts and probably only a handful were originally produced.

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and Speed Gems like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are cool..

12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    A set of bare Federal Mogul Thermoflow heads without covers were listed on that site in late 2017.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the McGEE roadster with them.
    [​IMG]

Another set without the casting details and different water outlets to the ones you posted. You could probably count the ones still left today on one or both hands?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speed Gems, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Been a while since I was on....but I found this thread and had to contribute, especially since i now own a set of these.

These heads are EXCEPTIONALLY rare.
    As far as we know, there are only five surviving sets...including my own. The Federal-Mogul Thermo-Flow Power Heads were designed in 1935 and patented Dec 5th, 1935. The original design was a two-piece style with a Bronze head with open water jackets, and an aluminum top cover to seal them. There were intended for marine use and designed to act as a heat sink to help with both cooling and combustion.

The only issue was the dissimilar metals issue....which just dissolved and warped the aluminum.

Sometime between October and November of 1936, the top cover patterns were updated and casting material was changed to Cast Iron. This style continued through the end of 1936. For 1937, the Design was changed completely to the "Waterless" Thermo-Flow head used on the McGee Roadster. This style was produced from 1937 to 1939 in both 21 and 24-stud versions.

My heads came from the Add posted at the beginning of this thread, so I have a lot of work to do in order to make new Aluminum covers....

46513506_1140244252801821_829660352986742784_n.jpg

~ Mr. Model T

Carter, Deuces, hrm2k and 7 others like this.
  15. biggles

biggles
    from England

New aluminium covers have just been made here in England.
    Since they will be fitted to my Batten Special, I had the original lettering changed, but that could easily be rectified in the CAD modelling. Since the modelling has already been paid for (by me) the cost of copies of the covers would be the aluminium billets plus CNC machine time. Rights to the modelling will remain here.

IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3238.JPG text.jpg

The covers will be fitted with a full gasket to isolate the copper from the aluminium and prevent the galvanic corrosion noted above. Fasteners will be A4 stainless steel coated with Tef-Gel for further corrosion protection and to prevent possible galling of the bolts in the copper.

I hope that may be of interest here.

www.battenspecial.com

16. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

17. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

I have a pair of the 1936 copper/aluminum 2pc heads. Any suggestions for the best gasket material to use for the reassembly of the the aluminum back to the copper? Would any of the permatex products work for this application? Or sheet gasket material?

Carter and MrModelT like this.
  18. biggles

biggles
    from England

Hello - sorry for the delay.
    Here in England I use a sheet gasket material called Flexoid which is oil and water resistant, comes on a roll, available in various thicknesses, but any water-resistant sheet material would work. Cork sheet?

In order to prevent galvanic corrosion the copper and aluminium must be kept completely separate from each other and the aluminium should not come into contact with the water else it will "dissolve" as it did in 1936 which is why F-M went to cast iron covers, which still corroded but not nearly as fast as the aluminium.

My plan is to use a sheet of gasket paper with holes cut for only the bolt holes and spark plugs, then bolted down with stainless bolts coated in a PTFE gel (Tef-Gel) for further corrosion protection and anti-galling properties.

I hope that helps.

kidcampbell71 and scratch like this.
  19. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Oh, slather 'em up with some never-seize and call it good! Shoot, I'll do one better and give you $100 for the pair and I'll even cover shipping....

They are certainly cool and it's great to see them on here....

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

I love to see some photos of your heads. What numbers are they? Casting Dates? What Shape are your aluminum covers in? I have a list of all the Surviving heads that we know of. Yours would be set number 7...

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

Zach and I have been pushing forward on our project to make new covers for our heads. Here are some images of the modeling work thus far...

received_414863676123088.jpeg

received_2471695259533493.jpeg

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic!

23. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

I'm removing some broken bolts for a friend that owns them. I was just looking some info on the proper gasket material to use when I reassemble. Jeff

Attached Files:

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Check the bottom side of the covers, those are the early one and are NOTORIOUS for rotting and warping.
    There should also be some casting dates on the bronze part of the head (each head has its own date) and a number on each head:

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

Deuces, weps, Speed Gems and 3 others like this.
  25. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

Attached Files:

Deuces and MrModelT like this.
  26. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

Here

MrModelT likes this.
  27. Iamtheonlyreal1

Iamtheonlyreal1
    from Oklahoma

I have a set of these on my 1940 Boyce Race Boat, and they are installed on a 1936 Flathead V8, while running great.

However, I would like to find a correct gasket source so I can cosmetically refresh the motor and heads with my vapor blasting cabinet, so I would appreciate any help to locate a source for correct gaskets.

Attached Files:

unforgiven and Deuces like this.
  28. junkman8888

junkman8888

Just a thought, but could you powdercoat the underside of the aluminum head covers as an additional corrosion preventive measure?

Also, if someone in England has the ability to machine covers from an aluminum billet, couldn't they also machine covers from bronze billet and eliminate the problem of galvanic corrosion entirely?

Beanscoot and ClayMart like this.