Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newb from the desert.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Jon In Tucson, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Jon In Tucson

Jon In Tucson

Hello from Tucson, AZ.
    Back in the '80's my son and I restored a 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. He drove it daily until '95 when the differential decided to suck the pinion gear into the ring gear and explode. The truck was parked about 15 years, becoming home to pack rats, scorpions, and other desert critters. Fast forward to January 2019, time to breathe new life into the Advance Design. The plan is to upgrade the mechanicals, yet still look like a stock pickup, albeit a very cool looking pickup... So far the progress has been:

Complete disassembly to the chassis level, media blast chassis and paint TSC black
    Rear end replaced with GM 12 bolt geared 3:73
    Chevy 292 CI engine with SM465 transmission to replace old engine/trans
    Front axle totally rebuilt with new springs, bushings, oversize kingpins, disc brakes and bearings.
    Waiting on a power rack and pinion kit to be delivered.

Lots of work to do, it has been fun. looking forward to checking other builds here.
    Jon In Tucson

2. Sounds like you have a lot of nice updates going there. I'd love to see some pictures of your progress!
    I'm still working on my 51 that I purchased back in 2012, but it has been on the road for the last couple of years.

3. Jon In Tucson

Jon In Tucson

Thanks, Simplestone. once I figure out the magic of posting pictures I'll start a thread. In the meantime I'm refreshing the clutch and using some Chassis Engineering motor mounts to get the engine and transmission set in the frame. Right now, as it appears, that I may be able to use the original transmission/torque tube crossmember for the SM465. Then off to the driveline shop for a drive shaft.
    Jon In Tucson

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers