Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 60 amp 3 wire GM alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The HellyDid, Dec 4, 2019.

1. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

What gauge wire from alternator to battery? It's a long run, from passenger side to drivers side battery

2. squirrel

squirrel

you can probably use 10 gauge, but you can also use larger wire, if you feel it would be a good idea. The larger the wire, the less voltage drop, cooler the wire is, and the harder it is to route safely and terminate at the ends.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Agreed, but going from one side of the car to the other, I would do eight gauge , just to be safe.

Bones

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The more strands the better. A good crimp or solder the ends. Finish with heat shrink.

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

LikeJimmy Six says, a good crimp! You will not get a good crimp on eight gauge terminals with a cheap crimper! Every hot rodder needs a good crimping tool! I have about six, I have collected over the years for 16 gauge to 00 gauge. One tool will not do both. And like Jimmy, I also solder mine. But there are differences of opinions on that! But a good crimp is imperative!
    I cringe when I see a otherwise nice looking wiring system with poorly crimped insulated terminals. I use un-insulated terminals crimped with a good crimper, soldered and heat skrinked. Never had a failure doing it that way.

Bones

jimmy six likes this.
  6. 10 gauge is common. if it were long like in 10+ ft I would maybe consider 8 gauge.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use one of these things and a 5 lb hammer on anything 10 or larger and heavy heat shrink tubing. The only thing that sucks is if you have to put an end on inside the car. On my 34 I had to terminate a 6 cable inside the passenger compartment, I got tricky and used my vice to close the crimper.
    upload_2019-12-4_11-11-22.png

54vicky and Hotrodmyk like this.
  8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 3 wire alternator should have the output going to the main voltage distribution location, and then from there to the battery. I use 8 gauge with a 60 amp 10SI 3-wire and trunk mounted battery.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

BB>>>I use one of these things and a 5 lb hammer on anything 10 or larger >>>

Dull chisel just as effective. 8^) Jack E/NJ

54vicky and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

Thanks guys, and I have one of those crimpers too.