Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration First thanksgiving without my grandfather

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne looney, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

P_20190929_074946.jpg The photo above was my grandfather and best friend , a ford man who loved his 39 and 40 coupes like no other , he loved his 50 ford and 51 merc and recalled them all fondly , his last was a 39 coupe he sold to another co worker in the 70s . He loved the song a flathead v8 made , and when I brought home my first car , a 1951 ford in 1996 I was a junior in H.S. I Stopped by his house on the way home pulled into yard and blew the horn and he about knocked the door down to get outside . Next thing I know he was tuning the carb ,adjusting points , timing , etc . And took me for a drive , sawing at the wheel on the back roads , making that flatty sing its song through the duel exhaust , and for a slit second I saw a young 18 year old behind that steering wheel , driving a car that he would have dreamed of when he graduated in 1951 . We ended up few years later pulling that motor and him hopping up a mercury flathead , and then dragging out all his 50s goodies , peep mirrors , steering wheel spinner , a hidden set of Fenton headers for flathead . Even his 57 Eldorado sombrerro hubcaps, that were on loan to use , but were to stay his lol. He taught me how to tune a car by feel ,smell, sound , and a vacuum gauge .. no two engines are alike he's say, a spec book is for starting off . He always was thrilled to hear what old car id bought or traded, some he liked better than others ...he hated my edsel ! Made a god awful face and said I'd lost my mind, but he always lended a hand and his knowledge and never fussed about it , not once. his love rubbed off on me , the love a grandfather has to share ...but be told me for years to buy a coupe, that's where the money was ..in a coupe ... Well , I found the 46 coupe I have now in Indianapolis at end of September , and made a plan to have it shipped. Then a few days later He passed away on October 2nd of this year , the car finally made it here the week before thanksgiving, subconsciously trying to save money having it shipped when convenient to the transport was my excuse , and in a strange way not even wanting to see it, or dreading getting it home I didn't really care at that point . It was dropped in my driveway ahead of schedule before I could get home that day from work . I came home and the first thing I wanted to do was call my grandfather and tell him I finally had my coupe . That's when reality set in . Never been too emotional, but that afternoon I sat in my crusty ford and cried . There isn't anyone else In my family that understands the love for these cars or why we do what we do , and I found this site last week . Now I don't feel so alone . So here I am . I was lucky to have him for 40 years of my life. I imagine he's up there looking down , shaking his head with his favorite saying, when I'd drive in or drag home on a trailer a new project ,, damn boy how many people died in that wreck ? . And that makes me grin again .

WB69, HotRod33, 49ratfink and 27 others like this.
  2. Glad you found the HAMB, and you wrote a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. Glad he was a part of your life, wish I could have known him and talked old Fords with him.

3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Well said.

Boneyard51 and Wayne looney like this.
  4. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

Thank you for the reply , had to smile again when i saw your picture of your ford truck , he told me a million times the first one he ever drove was my great grandpas 38 ford pickup , it was dark green ,before he got his first car.. but had his new license, he'd go on dates in the 38 pickup , being a poor farm boy , hed shine the truck with kerosine on a rag before going courting .

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.

5. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Sorry for your loss. Your story sounds just like mine with my dad. I lost him over 10 years ago and I inherited his love of cars. It was our thing. Rushing to pick up the phone and call him will eventually stop. Just don't forget that your grandfather is with you always. The thought of him will start to bring a smile instead of a tear. Just takes time. Take care.

WB69, Hnstray, Gman0046 and 3 others like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sounds like you have plenty of good memories to sustain you. That's a blessing right there.

7. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Welcome to the Hamb. 20181217_203703.jpg It may feel sad now but that man gave you a gift ,one you will carry the rest of your life.This is a picture of my grandfather in my 36 five window.The year was 1968 and they have all passed on now.I still drive my old ford to the cemetery and sit for awhile .It's good to remember the people that shared your life and interests .You've got everything you need,go ahead and make him proud. He's watching looking down knowing you took his advice saying Nice coupe.

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dad and I were like that, loved those Fords. He taught me everything I needed to make a living, never much used my degree. Miss him everyday, he’ll be gone now 7 years, tomorrow.

Bones

9. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

thank you so much , love that coupe of yours too !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Great thread. Welcome to the club!
    From Arkansas.

Here's my grandmother with her Dad's truck. Taken for her boyfriend, my grandfather.

It does get better with time. You will never forget them. Now we've just got to try to be that inspiration for someone else.

Nick Garrison%20(50).jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure your grandfather is looking down smiling. My older brother who passed 22 years ago used to always ask me no matter what I was driving anybody hurt in that wreck.L ooks like a solid 46 I'm sure grandpa would be proud.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

C026688D-FCBB-4C38-8391-C8AB132D8FDD.jpeg Well, Wayne, my Dad,who never graduated high school , ran into some dead ends in his life due to lack of education. He insisted that all three of us kids get a four year degree. We all did, because back in those days you did what your folks told you to do. He did all right for himself, building our ranch. I made out pertty good with what he taught me, twisting wrench’s for a living. This reminds me everyday!

Bones

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  14. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

that ragtop of yours would have made his day, I've been left with a stock of some 39 and 40 parts he saved for years , hopefully one day if this 46 gets done ill try a 39 or 40 if there are any left by then

40ragtopdown likes this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Great story Wayne. Reminds me of the relationship I have with my Grandson. Since he now has his own car he's always calling me for help. I also rely on him to help Grandpa do the things I have trouble doing now adays. He just recently replaced a garbage disposal for me.

Wayne looney and Nicholas Coe like this.
  16. Love is one thing that is passed down to us by Grand Parents- Sounds like he shared his passion with you too. -Quite a gift....something you’ll never loose

17. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

18. Wayne looney

Wayne looney
    from Roanoke va

Beautiful picture !

Nicholas Coe and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Thank you! She was a real beauty.
    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Welcome.
    Neither of my Grandfathers were car guys. One was a terrible driver and ended up being our small town's taxi driver! The other didn't care for mechanical things, having been born in the 1800s. My Dad had to teach him how to drive a model T.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Thank you for posting this -brought a tear to my eye...

22. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Great memories of your grandpa, we are the same age.

23. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I miss my grandfather who passed away a couple of years ago. He round track raced '34 Fords back in the day (I told him not to tell many folks I knew about that, they'd cry!). He also restored '67-'74 Camaros. I couldn't wait to tell him about my latest progress on my old cars. Now there is a big piece of my Thanksgiving missing. It does get easier, but we never forget those who inspire us the most.

24. Good read. Both my grandfathers are gone, and although neither really into cars, the stuff they taught me will be with me forever. I miss them everyday

I also had a 46 coupe, bitchin cars

25. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great memories for you, sorry for your loss.

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's my grandad in my avatar, never had the chance to know him, he passed over when my dad was a young'n. :(
    You are a lucky man to have the privilege to have the time and memories.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

both my Grandfathers were long gone by the time I came around. you are a lucky man.

28. topher5150

topher5150

Sorry to hear that I'm in a very similar situation. We lost my dad, the guy got me hooked on cars, only a couple of months ago at a pretty young age. We survived thanksgiving pretty well, but I think Christmas is gonna be a bitch.

29. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Lost my grandad almost 40 yrs ago. He was my goose hunting buddy. To this day in the fall when geese are heading south and I hear em honking I look up with a tear in my eye and say hi to my grandad. I loved that old man and I miss him to this day. I'll finish this with a bit of humor, my grandad loved goose hunting and dipping snuff. At his funeral at the viewing my brother in law put a can of snuff in Grandad's jacket pocket and I left him four of his favorite 12ga. goose loads in the other.