Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fan temp sensor, can it be T'd off?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by samdjr74, Dec 1, 2019.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74

Hey all,

I'm planning on upgrading my electric fan on my 58 Dodge and the new kit uses a screw in coolant temp sensor. Problem is on a 325 hemi I only have 1 real location for a temp sensor and that's on the back of the water pump housing assembly. That location is already used by the cars temp sensor. My question is, can I remove the factory temp sensor, install a T fitting then install both temp sensors into the T and get good readings?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. squirrel

squirrel

it won't get good readings, but it will get readings.

If you can put the fan sensor in the radiator, that might be a better way to go?

1927graham and samdjr74 like this.
  3. samdjr74

samdjr74

That's a possibility but the fan comes as a complete kit with the screw in temp sensor and I'd like to use that one if possible to get the maximum performance out of it.

4. samdjr74

samdjr74

Ok, how about this idea, what if I install the fan temp sensor in the water pump housing and relocate the original temp sensor into a fitting on the heater hose? The gauge in the dash will be delayed but as long as I use the correct port I should be ok, correct?

5. Is the fan kit, one with an adjustable controller? If so, you can put the sensor wherever it can "see" coolant, ie drain cock in radiator or engine, and you adjust the fan turn on point to your liking.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Hot Rod Nut and samdjr74 like this.
  6. samdjr74

samdjr74

No, it's not adjustable. These are a set of Spal brushless fand and come as a package

7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Can you take a piece of tubing, weld in a fitting for one of the sensors and T it into the lower rad hose?

samdjr74 likes this.
  8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand wanting to work with what you have, and in some cases an electric fan is the only choice. That said you only want the fan running when the radiator temp requires it. I've got friends where the fan runs all the time or most of the the time and it isn't the best solution. Mine only runs when stuck in traffic on a hot day, doesn't run going down the road or in cool weather.

I've had good luck with the flex a lite adjuster controllers, and I especially like the one that starts slow and ramps up. The ones I used I could hide under an aluminum finned cover for a voltage regulation, and the wiring ran with other wires in the front harness so it was just the fan itself that was obvious. They use a small radiator probe and you can locate it as necessary in the core. Having a cheap infrared temp gun really helps with the set up.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessories/electric-fan-controllers.html

pitman and samdjr74 like this.
  9. samdjr74

samdjr74

I could but don't I want the sensor closer to the top?

10. samdjr74

samdjr74

This works the same way. It's a variable speed fan based on the reading from the temp sensor. I have the adjustable type now but the fan is garbage and my radiator is toast so I got a new Wizard cooling rad and a good quality fan set up.

11. I'd personally advise against using a t for that. It will be a great place for an air pocket to develop and then the sensor for both the fan and gauge won't be reading coolant temp. Potential overheating engine and not even aware it's happening.

samdjr74 likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would need to have coolant circulating through the heater core at all times for this to work, and you would want to have your temperature sensor as close to the engine as possible, ie right at the nipple the hose is connected to.

samdjr74 likes this.
  13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always put them on top, and played with the set point to keep the temp where I needed it. But I've got an OT set up that I know reads from the bottom of the radiator. That's a factory engineered deal, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what's the best way is for guys like me.

Any chance you can adapt the existing controller to the new fans?

samdjr74 likes this.
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You need to have the sensor in the flow of coolant. I don't know if you can adapt something, but maybe find a thermostat housing with a sensor bung in it (think '70's emissions thermo switches). Wouldn't be accurate until after the thermostat opened, but you don't need the fan until after it does anyhow.

samdjr74 likes this.
  15. samdjr74

samdjr74

I can, shouldn't be too hard as long as I get the set point correct.

16. samdjr74

samdjr74

If I could find a housing with that I would. I know my vette has one but finding parts to fit these old hemis is a challenge

17. lowrd

lowrd

Maybe I’m off base, but I googled the housing to fit in coolant hoses and several examples popped up. Prices ranged from $10. to 50. Some appeared anodized, some cast and some plastic.

samdjr74 and low budget like this.
  18. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are coolant ports in the heads that the intake blocks off. It would be easy to drill and tap that area of the intake for a sensor.

samdjr74 likes this.
  19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive saw this done in the top radiator hose before with some home brewed engineering but didnt know they had kits, never looked into it either tho.
    upload_2019-12-2_3-24-18.jpeg
    another idea or two thats not too pretty but could work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    pitman, samdjr74 and honest_trev like this.
  20. honest_trev

honest_trev

Talk about stealing my thunder by 9 ? Minutes ! : that is the exact Anodized Alloy Asian Adaptor to Slice a Temp Sender or Thermo Fan switch into a Radiator hose for Setups with Problematic std fitting option openings or bosses.
    I've 1 & they come in a selection of I.d. Sizes suit Various Radiator hoses.
    I could even supply a circuit diagram based around any std temp gauge sender & electric fan & just dial in whatever temp you want fan to cut in.
    Trev.

21. samdjr74

samdjr74

I did as well but have no idea if they will fit or work for my car. The stock housing sticks straight up so if I want to retain the hoses I'd need to find something like that. Plus the housing attaches to the water pump crossover which is cast. The housing is also cast so I would probably want a cast housing to avoid different rates of expansion.

22. samdjr74

samdjr74

I saw the inline one as well and thought that might be a good fit for me on this. I'm going to call the manufacture today and see what they suggest.

23. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've drilled and tapped cast and aluminum t stat housings with good luck for this exact problem.once on a Desoto hemi but it had an aftermarket intake that used a GM type housing

samdjr74 likes this.
  24. samdjr74

samdjr74

I spoke with the company this morning and they recommended the inline radiator hose unit and hooked me up with one. I'll let you know how it turns out. It looks like I'll have very little clearance between this new fan and the water pump but it adds a full shroud which should help.

25. Ya might need to get another hole in the crossover, t stat housing or intake
    0D06E519-5EBD-404B-BEF9-900794E0AE8A.jpeg

samdjr74 likes this.
  26. goldmountain

goldmountain

Solder a bung on the lower radiator tank to screw the sensor in.

samdjr74 likes this.