Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Featured Classified: 1929 A-V8 RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Featured Classified: 1929 A-V8 RPU

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

HunterYJ, Tim and slim38 like this.
  2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I was pondering that one myself this morning too

3. My brother-in-law has a 29 Roadster pickup and I love them, the only problem I have is I am somewhat of a Neanderthal and too big to fit comfortably inside or there would be one in my garage. HRP

4. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

I'd drive it and have fun just like it is.

5. My T -RPU that I waited for the phone call - was nice until my Cabriolet showed up.........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. TERPU

TERPU

As the guy that built that truck and drove it all over I can tell you it is a complete blast. It's been to Bonneville (albeit as a chevy powered closed cab), LARS, all over the Bay Area, and every one of those places under its own power. There was a lot of love and sweat went into that truck. It's for certain a good time. It's got the checklist of good stuff too. I'm 6'0" and 220# on a good day. But it fits just fine.

When I traded it to '39 Low for a Cabinet I'd knew I would miss it for sure. Weak Moment or onto a new challenge? Like a Tootsie Pop the World may never know that answer. I just know this truck is fun! IF you are lucky enough to be the one who gets it it will be a good time.

It was also a great learning experience and when I let it go it was dialed in. The formula is in motion for RPU 2. Only this time '29 Fenners, 4-1/8 Engine, and 16's'.

If you want a drive anywhere RPU with the traditional checklist - here it is. Hauls Ass too. Just ask any one of the San Luis Roadsters who watched me put distance between them up the Camarillo grade while the 4" engine just sung along.

I'll help '39 low a little on the details -

59 block, 59ab heads milled for compression, 4" crank, camshaft by a machinist in Fallon Nevada who wore a dress and Combat Boots. (if you want the real story look up Rich Wright and ask him. It's pretty funny). Pre War 2x2 with Big Logo 97's. Bullet proof.

78 Case Trans with 28 Tooth gearset, Chrome Center Section '34 rear, Ford juice brakes, 15" Ford Truck Wheels, Dropped Axle by Ansen, Steering box by NHRP, '39 Banjo, 5:50 -15's front, and 7:50-15's Rear.

As a side note the truck is a mix of all my favorite pieces from '28 - '32. The Fenners and aprons are a mix of '30 fronts, aprons, with '31 Roadster/Coupe Rears, The Grill is off a Doodle Bug Golf Ball retriever thing made from a '32 Pickup, The Cab Front pieces are off a real deal Taco Wagon Panel Truck, and the rear is Brookville. The Paint, well that a special mix me and the boy came up with one day milling about OSH when it was still a thing. I punched the louvers and striped it. The stripes are missing on the cab because, well I just never got back around to it.

My HAMB I.D. is TERPU, or Tim Edwards Roadster Pick Up I have a long love affair with these and this one's the first one that I put any miles on before letting it go. As addictions go I have had 4 and onto five now.

There's parts on this truck from 25 years ago that I collected just for one of these. Pretty special little deal. Hopefully '39 Low didn't mind me re-living a great time frame and hopefully I haven't bored the rest of you.
    Here's a picture from last year as we pulled through the shiny car gate at LARS - Thank you Sherm for the great photo.

All the best - TERPU
    0.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Budget36, Sancho, HunterYJ and 3 others like this.
  7. That would make a great bookend to my 31 closed cab pickup

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

Thanks Tim for the additional info. Hate to part with it but found a car that I've been watching for many years. And to add more stress to the pot, we are trying to buy a house .
    Thanks again, Larry

TERPU and HunterYJ like this.
  9. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

HunterYJ likes this.
  10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front fenders just looked "out of place". That would be my one change.

11. I've followed this little hot rod on the freeway and in the twisties. It's a good runner.

12. TERPU

TERPU

That is the biggest comment on the truck. It's about 50/50 love hate. I love the longer swoopier '30 Fenners, but also love the tight curve of a '28/'29. So for me it's Mox Nix. But I hade really good '30/'31's at the time and wanted that look.

- Tim