Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PCV Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by liliysdad, Nov 29, 2019.

1. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Working a slightly OT vehicle, have a quick PCV question.

I am installing a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers on a Ford 390. I bought them used, and knockouts were already removed. As it sits, I will have the PCV valve on the passenger rear of the valve cover, while the breather/oil filler will be on the driver side, but that the rear. I know the preferred arrangement is opposite side, opposite end....but will this cause any real issue?

2. squirrel

squirrel

it will be fine, as long as there are good baffles in the valve covers (but that has nothing to do with the position, it's just a general rule)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I believe the opposite side,opposite end is the best way, but opposite sides will work. When putting 3x2s on , lots of times they put the PCV in the back of the lifer valley and have the intake in the front of the lifter valley, and they work fine.

Bones

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there are no baffles, there is a grommet that has a baffling inside. I used one on a 67 SBC once when a guy changed the covers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

That was my gut feeling....but wanted to make sure.

On another, but related, note, does anyone have any plans or photos of easy, DIY baffles for the M/T valve covers...??

6. ........See the jimmy six post above.:)

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The opposite is is better.

Why - remember, the PCV system is a built in...vacuum leak. If you put the breather on the same side as the valve, your vacuum leak will be more pronounced. If you put it on the opposite side, the PVC system (vacuum) has to pull thru the entire engine, thus creating less...of a vacuum leak. Easier to tune for.

Will either work, yea, but much better on opposite side. The idle adjustment system will need to be a little richer to make up for the "leak" if on the same side.

Mike

Desoto291Hemi, V8 Bob and Boneyard51 like this.