Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

06DA1028-2A8E-4909-B0BE-0848DE397DFA.jpeg
    I’ve found that if I use a silver sharpie to document my service records on my daily drivers it helps to remember them. Next service a bit of brake clean and update and I’m good to go!

2. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I just write all that on a flap from the oil filter box. Then stick the flap in the glove box of behind the sun visor.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  4. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

That works too, but I forget to look at those. This way every time I open the hood it screams at me that it wants some love!

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  5. MOJO1963GMC

MOJO1963GMC
    from Abilene,TX

Not really for garage/shop but when I go to a wrecking yard I bring a bunch of ziploc bags and some paper. When I take stuff off I note it on paper and put hardware in bags

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

'51 Norm, drdave, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  6. atomickustom

atomickustom

Everybody is talking about how to roll extension cords, but it is much better if you FOLD them.

Gather the two plugs together & run it through hands till you hit the middle, fold it over and repeat until you have a manageable bundle. Anything under 30' you can do this a million times and it won't tangle. Anything over 50' gets pretty big pretty quick but as long as you have a place to hang it AS FOLDED it will not tangle.

And if the cord is 20' or less you can just hold both plugs in your hand and toss the rest; it will lay flat and straight. Impresses the hell out of other people if that is your thing.

(By the way "folded" just means end-to-end. Don't try to link it flat)

Fingers, drdave, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup....worked construction my whole life and we always used this method and it comes un "raveled" with perfectly by just holding the plugs and tossing the rest.......works great and easily stored....makes a 100' cord about 8' long.

Fingers and loudbang like this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have a couple of inexpensive engine stands that I welded some adjustable supports out on the extended leg to give support to engines that are going to hang there for an extended time. I also made a stand similar to the chain drive rotator above. On mine I made the engine so it mounts with the bolt holes on the side of the block. This lets you rotate the engine without having the rear of the engine impeded by the mounting arms.
    It gives a builder good access for assembling the engine normally, but also allows mounting accessories and brackets on the front to work out any problems. In the rear, the bellhousing can be mounted and checked for centerline accuracy. Then you can mount the clutch assy and check clutch fork relationship or completely check the operation of a hydraulic clutch.
    Some simple bracketry will allow mounting the hyd components and checking operation before installation. Another simple bracket can be made that allows an adjusting screw to push a manual clutch fork and see how much movement is needed to make it work...and whether the pivot ball is in the ideal location height wise. Lots of things that can be checked and set up prior to installation. Personally I don't find working under the car to be as enjoyable these days.

Added note: The blue bellhousing in the picture has a large hole cut with a hole saw. This is a dummy bellhousing that I use for clutch set up. When aligning a bell housing I use the one that will be actually used in the car, as every bellhousing is different somewhat.

LS Engine Rotator 1.JPG
    LS Engine Rotator 4.JPG
    LS Engine Rotator 5.JPG LS Engine Rotator 7.JPG Clutch Gap Gages.JPG Clutch Check 1.JPG
    DSCN1473.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And I found one on my shop fuel can,,,,,,,
    Silver Jimmmyyy!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  10. For the times when you have to buy a NEW part that is chromed, usually no where near as good as what the old parts were, disassemble if needed, clean well with "wax and grease remover" and clear coat with couple thin layers to help prevent rusting in the near future, I even do some polished stainless steel parts. BigO

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When using your plasma cutter or TIG it is a good idea to coil up your air hose reel so the air line isn't lying on the floor where hot metal may melt it.

BTW, anyone try one of those crimp-on air hose splicing kits?

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Good ideas on rolling up cords but what works in the winter when they wont roll up right ?

loudbang and firstinsteele like this.
  13. Testify....

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  14. rod noken

rod noken
    from western ny

White-out pens used by typists work well for cutting torch work, the heat doesn't remove it.

15. Move south?

Ben

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Go West Young Man.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  17. grdra1

grdra1

Today I fabricated a attachment for my angle grinder to cut straight lines in sheet metal as I dont have a guillotine. I searched you tube and came up with this unit. Works a treat. Glen P1010071.JPG P1010073.JPG P1010074.JPG P1010076.JPG P1010077.JPG P1010078.JPG P1010082.JPG

18. grdra1

grdra1

I made my angle grinder attachment so I could make my cycle guards, I also needed to make a guide for my bead roller so I could make a straight bead in the guards, check out pics. glen P1010104.JPG P1010108.JPG P1010114.JPG P1010115.JPG P1010116.JPG P1010117.JPG

19. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

I have a cheap 48” single strip LED light that I use when I’m working under a car that’s on jack stands, it was 18.00 dollars, its plastic so not to heavy but it’s nice light and has held up for a year and a half so far. I always quit welding a half hour before I’m done for the day just to make sure there is nothing smoldering. In the winter I keep my garage warm but I warm my paint and sometimes bondo in a sink filled with hot water before I use it.

jakespeed63, drdave, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  20. I just go outside and piss in the woods :)

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sorry...... moved to other post

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I put an adjustable support on my engine stand for when I want to leave a very heavy engine or leave one for a very long time. Don't like the idea of all that weight pulling down from a few bolts, especially if its an aluminum block. It might not make a difference, but it sure doesn't hurt anything.

Engine Stand Support 1x.JPG

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

There’s one I’m going to use! If I left a complete engine on a stand overnight, I would roll it under me hoist to relieve it a little. Mostly for me, it was peace of mind concerning the engine stand it self! I have seen them fail! But now I have a new project! .....to add to my already too long of list! Thanks......I think! Lol

Bones

24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When I first did it, it worked great, but I didn't make it able to clear an engine with a front sump. Never thought about it. Bought a 500 Cadillac the other day and had to shorten it a couple inches so I can rotate the Caddy. Just took a minute, but wanted to point that out in case anyone else copies it. ;) Might think about a pivot to let it lay on the bottom rail when not in use,......

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner by DOW. Works great to get greasy fingerprints off of old paint. Also is a great tire cleaner, leaves tires black.

26. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

The bigger question is do we calculate gas millage in imperial or US gallons?

27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Anyone wanting to add the adjustable engine support post to their engine stand. I used one of those screw adjusters with a rubber bottom like they have for leveling a washing machine or old desk. Probably find them on line or at Lowes. They work good and are cheap.
    Engine Stand Support 2x.JPG

alanp561, Shadow Creek and Boneyard51 like this.
  28. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Same thing with Muriatic Acid. It will get rid of rust on metal but the fumes will cause everything in your garage to rust if you you use it inside.

29. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I remember the first time I put my 235 straight 6 on the stand, I bolted it in place and started to lower the hoist, and it just kept going down! We welded some extra bracing to it which is still there (as seen in my avitar), but it keeps me from rolling a complete block and head over. Something like your improvement would help.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Imperial, what else?