Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods small battery reccomendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Nov 27, 2019.

1. squirrel

squirrel

They have them at walmart

dana barlow likes this.
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

1 year warranty

3. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, if you like paying lots of money for a warranty, then cheap batteries are not for you.

RMR&C and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Under the seat,but still a hole in floor there were about 1/2 a battery can hang down below floor. Having a bat too small to crank much can kill the fun too EZ. Amp.s is key,an big amp.s is size.
    I helped my buddy put on under his red 23 T that dose not show much,in fact he likes to show others were it is. The battery box we made for it is" Mirror finish stainless steel=so looking at it,one can't see it/as it looks like the ground under the the car. Fools a lot of guys.
    MarksPicof My rod.jpg

Jet96 likes this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

In most cases the only difference between a 4 year battery and a 1 year battery is the sticker itself. They are betting you won't need it. Somebody who worked a summer between semesters worked at a battery manufacturer and said OCV was measured as they came off the line, those with the highest voltage got the longest warranty.

R A Wrench likes this.
  6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Odyssey batteries can be mounted in any position except inverted.

I am also using the PC680 in my Model A
    with a SBC and hi-torque starter. I replace it about every 7 years and don't use any type of trickle charge. If I remember correctly the Dyna-Bat is a re-labeled Odyssey for more money.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of the Braille ones in my 31 roadster over the rear fender well. It was one of the higher CCA batteries for its size. So far works well. Anyone know if I can use a regular battery tender on it?

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, those mower batteries should be for big fuggin mowers:eek:

The thing to be concerned about is the max amps they'll take from your charging system. Most mower/bike/powersport batteries want no more than 15-20 amps. A standard no frills alternator pumps about 48-55 at full tilt, or about 2000 engine RPM. Big batteries from bigger stuff, likely fine, but the one in my mower? I would't even consider it for car duty. And now we're talking under a seat too? Maybe I'm just a stubborn old bastid but heat and acid and amps and such right under my ass sounds less appealing than another alternative. I see nobody mentioned Optimas. I hate those fuckers...

Perhaps this is the one area where $$$ spent now saves a multiple amount later, if only for the specialized application.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Excuse me while I go thumb through some 60 year old magazines, looking for ads for AGM batteries :)

David Gersic likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

DSCF3492.JPG Mine is not a compact battery, but I don't have a charging system. It is a Auto craft gel 75 from Advance
    auto. It's 640 CCA and it cranks my small block Ford and runs my electric fuel pump and water pump and ignition box .
    I paid about 90 bucks for it with my discount.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  11. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Our 50 Chevy has a large Walmart special in the trunk. Been there since we bought the car in 2011.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I get the biggest battery with the most CCA's that will fit the battery boxes. I'm like squirrel, I buy the cheap Walmart batteries. I wouldn't trust a small lawnmower battery in a car, heck, I've had problems with them having enough amps to crank a mower.