Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This reminds me of a moment at a recent Cruise with a fella who actually had a 3-400 hp Model A Street Rod and he looked over the Ole Hotrod and when he found out I was the Owner told me he really liked the overall look but thought the rear tires stuck out too much...I said it didn't bother me at all...it is a Jalopy Hotrod and narrowing Junkyard rearends wasn't a done deal back then...I suppose the way things were was it was newer, tougher and gears were right and if the wheels fit...on it went...the rear end is actually a 57 Chev which I believe ended up under a lot of Hopped Up 'A's as is...

I suppose spacer/adapters and wheel offsets can play with this to some degree but hey I Know if this was addressed it would be the Wipers or Hood next...:eek:

0_20191126_223552.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Stogy, a 57 rear would be pretty close to what's under there, now.

If I run a pair of normal steelies and tires, which may happen in the future just to switch it up, they'd be a lot closer to the fenders. The lugs would be hanging out there, though!

Plus, the wheels/tires hang out because there's a lot less fender, now!

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have complete confidence in your Chosen direction and execution in this build...Beast first, looks are secondary...:confused:...well thats that popular saying that gets tossed around from time to time about Drag Hotrods...I'm enjoying your Snorty coming together...maybe you might get to meet Slutty Miss Vicky at the track someday...I'd like to see that lineup at the Tree...think of it like an overflowing Bra...it doesn't look perfect but it may still get the message across and look pretty good doing it...:D

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

F1 Steering Box in A Model A Continued:

Earlier this year I sent my F1 steering box out to Neal Jennings @NealinCA and he got it in shape. It was crusty and grimy when he got it.

Neal Jennings Steering Box.jpg
    (Mine is the box on the left, with the 4-hole A flange)

Neal Jennings Steering Box Flanges.jpg

The 4-bolt Model A flange is made by Neal, too. A little extra beef can't hurt, right?

Now that the body is on and we know how the box/column/steering wheel is oriented, the flange could be welded on.

F1 Steering Box Flange Welded.jpg

F1 Steering Box Flange Welded 2.jpg

Silicon Bronze TIG was used to weld the Model A flange on the F1 box (steel on cast). Neal said MIG could be used, it just needs to be a 185+ machine.

JUNK ROD, 1947knuck, OFT and 13 others like this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

F1 Steering Box in Model A Coupe - Continued:

It's the little details I enjoy in build threads, perhaps you like that too. It's one of the things I love about @Kiwi Kev threads, such as the Nasty Habit Willys' threads that I've gotten so many good ideas from all because he shared details. (I'm sure you'll spot quite a few ideas from his Willys build as we go along with the coupe.)

Anyway, all that said, here are some more details of the F1 Box install.

F1 Box Mounted In Model A Frame 4 Hole Flange.jpg

Ryan snuck the box over as much as possible keeping the pitman arm and hairpin interference/clearance in mind. The arm will have to be bent but that little bit, helps.

Inside of Bell To Be Trimmed For Wheel Adapter.jpg

I've been holding onto a lot of these parts for 10+ years, so it's pretty exciting (feels like that's not a descriptive enough word) to see them come together how I imagined.

It's in the lathe to get the inner piece trimmed for clearance. This tube has it's share of dents, dings, wounds, but it's still likely going to find its way to the chromer.

Wheel Adapter Fitted.jpg

Trimmed to clear.

F1 Steering Box Bolted In Place 36 Ford Dash Model A Coupe.jpg

Mocked. Looks goofy without the adapter cover. The tube will have to be shortened a tad. To make way for this...

Steering Wheel Adapter Cover.jpg

Ryan had one he'd saved, sitting around the shop. I didn't have one yet. He was so kind to donate it. I don't really get all that much ever given to me, so him donating this to the project, was pretty awesome. Plus, it's not a brand new piece, it'll fit the Superior 500 I'm running better. It's decent but not new looking.

Truck Column 36 Dash Model A Coupe.jpg

Driver's view. Everything lined up decent. Not bad for a few different hands on this project.

6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brent,

I love the mock up! Your coupe looks like it's going to be a real bruiser! I love it!

Stogy, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, man!

That's exactly what I envisioned for this car... a no-nonsense, tough and aggressive hot rod. You've picked the perfect term to describe what I want this car to be.

1947knuck, Thor1, weemark and 2 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@-Brent- looking really sharp, details and execution are nicely thought out. Thumbs up to all involved...;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

really cool rod... great little details...
    any more pix of the rear fenders in the top comment this page ?
    I like them, way beyond my skill level but they just grab me...

Stogy, METAL MELTDOWN and loudbang like this.
  10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

This build keeps getting better! The mounting of the steering box looks awesome.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sloppy I think your referring to the Fenders on my Sport Coupe I was showing Brent regarding discussion of Tire sticking out of the fender coverage area...I think those were Hamber Voodoo Twins handiwork. They are modded Trailer fenders...

loudbang likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

F1 Steering Box in a Model A Boxed Frame:

I wanted to share this view before the engine is in. Plenty of room for a wrench.

(Also, pics for @weemark)

F1 Steering Box Model A Boxed Frame.jpg

For reference, this is what the recess looks like.

Boxing Plate Recess for F1 Steering Box.JPG

We originally planned to run an F1 pitman arm and tie rod ends. Looks like the plan is changing to clear the hairpins. Here's a test pitman arm (the ball on this one is wiped out). However, it's good to get an idea and figure out what needs to happen.

Pitman Arm Hitting Hairpin.jpg

Pitman Arm Hairpin Test.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

14. willsullivan

willsullivan

Definitely following this! This thing is awesome and will help me with my model A

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, -Brent- and loudbang like this.
  15. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

thanks for the excellent pics of the steering box in place and how you done it. Ive seen the 4 bolt mount from Neal on his IG page but never seen one in use so to speak so good to see how it fits and work out.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Mocking the SBC and Muncie (Autogear M23Z):

We're getting there, my friends!

Something I love, and it's not just a hot-rodding thing, is solving problems creatively. I love the search, the outside the box thinking, the imagining the 20 different ways we could do whatever it is and scratching them off in my head and then finally seeing the workable idea through.

Lately, there's been a bunch of that. My mantra is to keep it simple and use restraint. It's far too easy to go off on a fancy tangent... that's not at all what this car is about.

The first order of business is to get the engine and trans in between the rails. Ryan made those front brackets when he was putting the small block in the Freakin' A. It allows the engine to sit level on the rails. Whereas the Hurst mount is too narrow. This helps get stuff located and what, if any, concerns there may be.

SBC Muncie M23 Model A Engine Hoist.jpg

And there is, dropped in.

327 Sitting in Model A Coupe Frame.jpg

This side is where most of the action takes place.

327 SBC in a 1930 Model A Coupe Full Fendered.jpg

A side shot of the first mock-up:

SBC Model A Coupe MockUp.jpg

A couple steps back.

Model A SBC MockUp .jpg

Something I hadn't expected is that it looks like we'll be able to run a floor WITHOUT a transmission hump. That's going to make life a little easier placing a gas pedal.

Bellhousing View MockUp.jpg

The engine placement needed some adjustment because the NOS Ansen slave cylinder bracket hits the F1 column - barely.

Steering Column Vs Slave Cyl Model A Coupe.jpg

Model A SBC Slave Cyl Interference with F1 Steering Column.jpg

One small notch was made to clear the rib of the Ansen bellhousing. That allowed everything to come back like 3/4".

Reversed Firewall Trimmed To Clear Bellhousing.jpg

We decided to "split the difference". We moved the engine and trans back a little and also dropped the engine a just a bit, rather than doing a little more of one or the other.

Model A F1 Column Slave Cyl Clearance.jpg

Now there's room for everything to coexist AND tools can fit, when needed.

Here's the mock-up of where the engine should pretty much sit.

SBC Model A Coupe 2nd MockUp.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

@NealinCA is an absolute craftsman! I'm thrilled that could share something that helps. I should forward some pics over to Neal, I don't think I've seen his 4-hole mounts used, yet, either.

Glad the thread could be of some help. I appreciate the compliment, truly.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that looks tuff!

31chevymike, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Some cars have curb speed, looking 100 mph standing still.

that car.

that car looks like a massive catapult ratcheted back waiting to fling a boulder across state lines

31chevymike, Stogy, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's pretty much how I want to feel when I look at this A!

Thanks, Tim!

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

These Ansen instructions were pretty neat.

Ansen SBC Slave Cylinder Bracket Instructions.jpg

I have the whole kit but only need the main bracket. If I can sneak the main tie strap in, I will.

22. This is my kind of build. Very nice. GO man GO!!:)

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah! That works! Looks great to me.

I appreciate that! Thanks.

31chevymike, 1947knuck, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

There's been a couple questions on the Ansen bracket and the slave cylinder.

The slave cylinder is from a 60-66 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup:
    • Dorman Part # CS33723
    • Napa has a couple different part numbers.
    • Rebuild Kit: EIS#'s Rebuild Kit C689 [1.062 bore] Slave Cylinder EW 34447
    I hope that helps!

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Reinforcing the Firewall and Dash:

While waiting on some parts, another to-do list item is being worked on. I've had this pictured in my head a while and Ryan and I went back and forth on what we'd like to do here. This is what Ryan preliminary came up with.

There are a couple modifications to this plan, but it's the gist.

Dash Bar Drawing - Ryan Hartman.jpg

Since the original cowl braces were lopped off, Ryan dug through some of his material collection and found a Corvair rear seat bracket.

Corvair Seat Bracket Donor Model A Parts.jpg

After a little bit, new cowl braces were fabricated. The weld nuts are for a removable dash bar.

1930 Model A Cowl Brace .jpg

Mounted to the cowl brace.

Cowl Brace Dash Bar.jpg

View from the top.

Cowl Brace Dash Bar 1.jpg

View from the interior. Dash, firewall, steering column, and hanging pedals will all be tied together.

Cowl Brace Dash Bar 2.jpg

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Ryan is doing a great job on this build for ya, it's a real Hot Rod !
    Glenn

-Brent- and Stogy like this.
  27. I like it Brent. Yea, this is race car sh%t. Here is a pick of my Model A cage- dash bar. Sorry mine is not removable. WIN_20190327_17_31_59_Pro.jpg

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Looks like a party in there, Mike!

Since my car isn't ever going to run times requiring a cage like that (or a shoot!), we're going much more tame. However, we are going to put in some legs off the frame that a hoop could be run from. They're not going to be used for a hoop, right now, though... we'll get to that plan in a little while.

29. I hear ya. Putting the cage in the coupe was very challenging, at least for me. But it came out real nice. I fit just fine in the car and its fairly comfy. And I am almost six foot. LOL.

catdad49 and 1947knuck like this.
  30. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

31chevymike and loudbang like this.