Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Boodlum

Boodlum

Years before the time the movie depicts, Carroll Shelby drove cars for other people. Here he is at Willow Springs race track in a Ferrari 750 Monza Spyder posing with the Hall brothers from Midland Texas, Jim Hall (Chaparral Cars) and Jim's older brother Richard (ran the family oil business). Jim Hall worked for Carroll Shelby at Carroll Shelby Sport Cars. The Hall brothers bought the car from its original owner, Allen Guiberson from Dallas. The car exists today, owned by some California people.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly, Shelby later sold the car through his dealership. See the first listing in the right column.
    ETA: The "Hill" mentioned in the listing is Phil Hill, later to become the only American-born Formula 1 World Champion.
    [​IMG]

Shelby and Phil Hill. Notice Shelby's ubiquitous striped overalls with "Shel" and he is listed as "Crew".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

history

Spooky likes this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Notice 2 pair of goggles on Phil Hill

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Boodlum

Boodlum

lol yeah and about the only thing left besides friends and memories is a small statue I got as payment from the Ferrari owner's wife Elizabeth Muhlenberg Blake Guiberson Brooke (she married a bunch of times) for helping move some art pieces when two Dallas art museums combined their collections. Betty Blake was a big contemporary art lover. The statue was made in 1961 by a guy named Picasso. It was not her favorite piece.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  5. toml24

toml24

The movie production budget for Ford vs Ferrari was $97.6 million. In 2-weeks viewing the international box office receipts are $103.8 million. From this point on it's pure profit. Look for more auto racing films in the future.

Spooky, tractorguy and dana barlow like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The first "tear offs".

hiboy32 likes this.
  7. We saw it Saturday night. It was a great movie, best I’ve seen in a long time. I just wish they hadn’t covered the death of Ken Miles. It’s one of those movies that I inadvertently spent all day yesterday thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spooky and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

We also went to see it Saturday night, to me it was a good movie with just a few hiccups. A few that caught my eye were 1-shifting at top speed(must have been a five speed. There's a few shots on the track were they overtake cars that look like they are from the late 60s early 70s. Other than that it was great, bring on more car movies.

9. squirrel

squirrel

They had to....so the general audience would know why they'd never head of this genius.

10. Boodlum

Boodlum

Ken Miles died August 1966 at Riverside testing the Ford J-Car that won the 1967 Le Mans. It should be noted the film also shows driver Walt Hansgen who also died testing the J-Car a few months earlier. Ford senior engineer and Chief Aerodynamicist Len Bailey could make cars slippery but he couldn't make them stable at speed (witness Dan Gurney and Roy Salvadori GT40 wrecks at Le Mans 1964). The man lived by frontal area and drag coefficient. To try to make his cars stay pointed in a straight line, one of the 1965 GT40's even had rear tail fins. Phil Remington finally took the J-Car design, scrapped the "bread van" rear and did the eyeball, string and tape to improve the air flow over the body. I met Walt Hansgen when he drove for John Mecom Jr. along with Augie Pabst and John Cannon. He was a very good driver.

Here's a pic of Augie Pabst, Walt Hansgen and John Cannon standing in front of the Mecom transporter with an original Corvette Grand Sport and Lola GT (GT40 predecessor). IIRC this Grand Sport went to Delmo Johnson in Dallas. Henry Ford II tried desperately in vain to buy this Lola GT. Lots of old memories.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^^ Thanks, great info & pic

12. I saw it Saturday night with my wife. Great movie, one I will watch over and over when it comes out to buy. The wife loved it too, and she doesn't care about car movies. Seeing those GT40's racing on film made my hair stand up

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My plan is to do the same thing, there is so much going on in the movie that the little things are easily missed.
    As I said prior, my wife enjoyed the movie too, remember the scene where Carrol and Ken were fighting on the sidewalk/grass, when Kens' wife unfolded the lawn chair and sat down to enjoy the fight my wife about came out of the theatre seat.
    More than a movie is right!

Boodlum likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Finally got into theater to see all of movie. Fantastic. We had to use replacement tickets from movie canceled the other day. Nevr goy a good answer as to what happened. Could not use tickets online. Checked seat availability from first showing until late in the day. No seats for 2 available until after $. Went to theater and reserved seats, and ran errands much of day. If you have not watched the lost Interview With Carroll Shelby in a link here you need to do it.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. Boodlum

Boodlum

Stillrunners, I used to get over to your side of town to where Sylvan turns into Wycliff at Irving Blvd. Vanguard Motors parent company Michigan-based Vanguard Corp. had their Dallas offices and aftermarket auto A/C division there. I worked on both the Vanguard Warrior 1 car then the Vanguard Vetta Ventura although most of the dirty work was done at Delmo Johnson's older brother Tom Johnson's shop at 5608 E. Mockingbird Ln. I worked for Tom Johnson. His shop was two blocks from Carroll Shelby Sport Cars. If you walked out the front door of Shelby's dealership, through Shamburger Building Supply, across the Katy Railroad tracks and through the old Dr. Pepper bottling plant you would walk in the front door of Tom Johnson's shop. It's now a parking lot for Campisi's Italian restaurant. When things were slow at Tom's shop or when Shelby needed a $1.55 an hour teenager I got called. I rode Katy freight trains from Rockwall to Dallas, got off at Greenville Avenue bridge and was one block from both Shelby's and Johnson's shops. I got my first motorcycle while working there - a paintbrush red 1937 Harley-Davidson WL 45 inch flathead. In the movie there's a flash image of a young guy riding a small motorcycle to Shelby's shop. That's me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  18. frank spittle

frank spittle

This movie is feeding on its self from rave reviews but the main reason it was #1 on opening weekend is name recognition. Ford, Ferrari, Shelby, Lemans, GT40, Porche are familiar names to a very high percentage of people worldwide. And the 24 Hours of LeMans has the highest name recognition of any race worldwide I believe. I doubt there were many people there opening weekend not familiar with the iconic 1966 race but many have seen it since from the overwhelming reviews.

19. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

If you liked Ford vs Ferrari as I did then you need to watch 24 Hour War and Shelby America. Both of these are on Netflix. These are very well done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

stanlow69 and arkiehotrods like this.
  20. khead47

khead47

I watched Shelby American on Netflix last night. A must see.

21. big john d

big john d
    from ma

one of the cooler parts of the movie is dan gurneys son playing dan gurney wife and me both enjoyed the movie

toml24 likes this.
  22. toml24

toml24

I wonder if Disney will introduce a number of GT40 cars into the Autopia rides at their theme parks?

23. chriseakin

chriseakin

My wife and I went - she wanted to go to a movie and suggested Ford V Ferrari, so I agreed. We both enjoyed it, but she did comment how long it was (3 hours?). It didn't feel that long watching it, great movie.

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our club went to dinner and a movie last night . My wife thoroughly enjoyed it . We did get sore arseitis sitting for near 3hrs. But a thoughly captivating movie. Well worth a watch.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Spooky

Spooky

LOVED it. The cars were neat (I spotted 5 Edsels!) and the clothing was period perfect too.
    As for future bio pics, it would be interesting to see a big screen edition of The Edsel Affair.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20191128_103222.jpg Miles & Shelby

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Gonna try and see it this weekend, thanks for the heads up @Jive-Bomber and all the responses from everyone else.
    Not sure I ever saw a bad movie that Matt Damon played in.....up there with Tom Hanks, Tommy Lee Jones etc.etc. just to name a few

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The movie was three hours long! It seemed way shorter than that to me! I guess I just enjoyed it, too much! Honestly, when you guys said three hours long... I thought... no way!

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Couldn't be three hours long because my ass didn't go to sleep!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. frank spittle

frank spittle

Running time: 152 minutes (2 hrs. 32 min.) Previews: Varies with theatres. The running time didn't seem that long to me either.

low budget and Boneyard51 like this.