Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods small battery reccomendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Rebuilding my t-bucket and I'd like to stash away a small battery somewhere instead of having a full sized one hanging below the frame.

Thinking maybe something small tucked under the cowl against the firewall? Maybe under the seat? I dont have much room in the bed because of the gas tank.

I've looked at speedways compact batteries but would really like to hear of one someone ran and liked before dropping 200 clams on something to experiment with.

Not a lot of power needed. Start and run the car, lights at night. And I might put in heated seats for those spring/fall cruises. No stereo or anything else.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

Odyssey has small compact batteries that work well, just need to have a decent charging system. They are dry cell, so they can be mounted any angle. I had one in my ‘64 ElCo for years with no problems.

3. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Had a fellow trade in a T-bucket a few years ago that had the battery out of a booster pack mounted under the dash. It did start and run the car which had a pretty stout SBC but I am not sure as to the long term lifespan or how it reacted to being charged by an alternator. Maybe someone else on the HAMB has had more experience with this possibility.

HalW likes this.
  4. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Odyssey PC680 starts my 350 SBC well. Lies on its side under passenger floor, short run 4 gauge cables.

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

what ever is starting big inch stroker Harleys should do it

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I just recently replaced a Braille battery with a new one, having used the one I replaced for about 6-7 years.'I will say though that you need to keep a good charger like a Battery Tender Plus on it when it's gonna be out of use for more than a couple days. When you allow an AGM battery to get discharged they sometimes are stubborn about coming back to full charge.
    I not only like their small size, but also the lack of corrosion from acid fumes.

HalW and GordonC like this.
  7. Been using an Odyssey PC680 for seven years trouble free. 006.JPG

-Brent-, HalW, Rramjet1 and 5 others like this.
  8. X2 on the PC680 and a Battery Tender.

HalW likes this.
  9. 41woodie

41woodie

I use Odyssey PC 925 in the woodie, actually two of them but they are reasonably small for a 330 CCA battery and can be mounted upside down, sideways whatever is necessary

HalW likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

U1? (riding mower). It's only $30

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, Odyssey batteries work for me. Have had 2 in 2 different rods.......

Rramjet1 likes this.
  12. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Squirrel , you type way faster than me:D

Do you start you T in cold weather? Daily drivers in Wisconsin I always go with the biggest CCA that will fit in the battery box. Just had 2 battery's go bad (both 10 years old) and starting to rethink the size needed for summer drivers to save costs.

Researched how big of battery is required and found 1 CCA per cubic inch is recommended.
    So 350 cubic inch engine would be a 350 CCA battery, I don't know it sounds to small to me.o_O

They do make lawn mower battery's with 425 CCA and they are cheap and small.:rolleyes:

13. My 51 has a SBC in it with an Odyssey PC925 that has been in the trunk for 12 years and no issues to date. Hard to believe I know. Now watch, it will die tomorrow since I bragged on it. No doubt I'd just buy another one of them.

HalW and Rramjet1 like this.
  14. I have had great luck with Dynabat. Got 4-5yr out of them in my model A.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I got a used OT vehicle years ago, it had a really old battery in it...I was impressed that it lasted so long. Until I took it to the car wash, and got the plug wires wet, and it had to crank more than 5 seconds to start...and the battery wouldn't crank it for ten seconds.

Since then, I've become a big fan of replacing batteries every five years. That way, they're likely to have some reserve capacity, and also won't be working the alternator too hard, or be likely to die at any time, etc. I also haven't really noticed a significant difference in cheap and expensive batteries, and since we usually have 6 to 8 cars at any given time, I just get the cheap $50 batteries, and they do pretty well.

If you only have one car to worry about, then spending $200 for a high zoot battery might make sense.

AHotRod and Montana1 like this.
  16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I was looking at big harley bagger batteries also. Hadnt looked at lawnmower. That PC680 should do the trick, nice and small, and doesnt weigh a ton either. I keep everything I own on a tender when its not in use, so that wont be an issue.
    Thanks all!

HalW likes this.
  17. 51box

51box
    from MA

The PC680 is a beast, I have one in my Model A and it starts a 430+ci engine with a magneto no problem.

Rramjet1 likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an Odyssey 925 in the 34 and I will be adding one more to the 41 truck I'm building. There is no improving on it unless they figure out how to make it free.

Rramjet1 likes this.
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Tickety Boo and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. squirrel

squirrel

in case anyone thinks he's joking...they actually use lawnmower batteries in older Miatas. It sits in the trunk.

miata battery.jpg

Tickety Boo and RICH B like this.
  22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I run an Odyssey PC925 in the '31. Sits under the floor and has threaded bungs for cable attachment. Neat and compact.

Rramjet1 likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Take a look into a Mazda Miata battery, I've one here it's about 4.5 inches 6 inches and about 7 inches tall. Unsure of the CCA, the label has weathered off.

Edit:

Guess I should have read through all the replies.

24. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

25. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Also have a Odyssey PC 680. Small holds charge well if car has not been used. Can be mounted in any direction due to gel cell technology. More expensive but deals can be found on internet. I have the aluminum battery box with battery mounted on its side.

Rramjet1 likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was more in shock that anyone one on here would admit to driving a miata. Just sayin

da34guy, Dino 64 and raven like this.
  27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel , where can we get the 50.00 dollar battery...thanks , Happy Bird day yo all...

28. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I use the U1 . Sbc no accy's. works great

29. Phil1934

Phil1934

30. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i used miata dry cell got 7 years . on my second one now...mounts sideways or upside down .. 327 chevy ......... around 125.00