Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FOUND AN OLD DRAGSTER TODAY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrod1959, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Just sharing.......While out buying some vintage parts I came across this dragster. From what the 78 year old owner told me he built it in Stockton Ca in the 1960s? It is on a Durant Star narrowed frame and front end. Chevrolet 3 speed trans and model A rear end. The engine was a ALGON fuel injected Pontiac ? 4 cylinder. He said his fastest pass was in the 110-120 mph range. The trailer was built by high school students in a shop class. It's not for sale. IMG_1694.jpg IMG_1696.jpg IMG_1697.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  2. I seen a shirt that said drag racing, because football, baseball, and basketball only require you to have one ball lol. Takes a real man to drape his ball sack over that third member and drop the clutch :D

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wild - dare to be different

Boden and loudbang like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't think that would pass tech these days.

belair, loudbang and Thor1 like this.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Probably meant "ALGON" Injection : it's the proper time period.

Boden, loudbang and Hotrod1959 like this.
  6. Cool find, even if it's not for sale. It's nice knowing stuff like that is still hiding out there. I really wonder why the front springs weren't removed? There just bolted to the axle hanging in the air. Ballast maybe?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Not sure if I'd want to be in that at 120.

8. Reverse wheelie bars for quick stops.

9. So fun to find stuff like that. Drag racing history right there! Not all were nitro Hemi's. Lots of small shops ran race cars.

10. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

yes I will correct it.

11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

$(KGrHqRHJCgE9sK4sk,LBPeI0MjbbQ~~60_12.jpg
    Yep!

alanp561, 49ratfink, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  12. That's neat!

49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very cool find!

49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  14. Cool piece, looks safer than this one Screenshot_20191119-204744_Pinterest.jpg

15. rgdavid

rgdavid

Front axle looks narrow ?
    Looks fun

49ratfink likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its amazing that the tires are not flat

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

They may be. those are pretty stiff sidewalls and no weight on them to speak of. My Tub has 7:00X16 bias tires on the rear and even with no air they still support the car. (no I don't drive it like that!)

Stogy, 49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. This must be what started Rules & Regulations.
    [​IMG]

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This is a Banjo style housing and with the HP and tires back then it never happened that a gear set EVER nailed a driver, A quick-change style housing did have issues of blowing the backs off, but was not the R&P that caused it, but they were rarely used because of their size. Even with the conventional style rear ends, NEVER been a case where the ring gear came out and nailed the driver. All it is, is spectator lore

20. The Quick Change thing worked well for what it was designed for,, Dirt Tracks. Because so many were out there and all were different is size. It made sense to be able to gear to each one once you made a few Hot Laps. On the street or 1/4 Mile I never got it. Kool is one thing but when it comes to laying HP on the ground it takes more of it to turn the Tires through a QC that any strait Ring and Pinion.

chryslerfan55 and kevinrevin like this.
  21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

with the Helix grind on the R&P inside a QC wanted to shove/push the pinion back like removing a screw from a piece of wood. The helix of a banjo was less because the pinion was centered so less force involved.
    A rolling start is what the QC was designed for and not a standing start

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Wow, leaf springs, friction shocks and didn't even box the "frame"! The trailer was safer.

-Brent- and 49ratfink like this.
  23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

put a Briggs and Stratton motor in it and give kids rides around the neighborhood. that's what I'd do.

greener200 likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Hotrod1959 thanks for sharing this part of the puzzle of the Good Ole Days...Hopefully someday it will be restored to its Raw Past Glory...right down to the Trailer...Always get a kick looking at those tight little Cockpits where Smoke, Power and Snarling Monster congregate...

You truly did have to have a bit of a fearless streak in you to pilot these rockets......;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I've heard of a quick change rear end but if that let go it could be a quick sex change rear end.

26. Think it was posted on Drag cars in motion thread with the Pontiac motor.........

loudbang likes this.
  27. sololobo

sololobo

way cool, what a combo of parts. I will bet it had a unique sound, thanx for sharing

loudbang likes this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those Pontiac 4 cylinder out of early 60's Tempests were pretty popular for a period of time. You could use 389 pieces and only had to buy half a set.

29. oldolds

oldolds

Nice find
    I had thought about putting together a 4 cyl. dragster a few years ago. The turn off for me was the safety stuff was the same for a 12.00 second car as a 4.00 second car. Fire suit, tethers, triple roll bar, ect.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.