Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gassers!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 15, 2019.

1. I really like your car!!!
    but there are some serious race cars in this thread.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

I like Austins and Anglia's but they are outside the Hamb scope because they were not made in the US.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. rooman

rooman

Lots of them here in several threads

Roo

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Found this picture of my car and another Willys in the shut down area at Bradenton.
    Unfortunately his son was killed in the red Willys the next summer at Jax raceway in Jacksonville. 20180310_192450.jpg

5. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

My all-time favorite...and built in my area when I was a youngster. I often wondered whatever came of the car? Bad Jose.jpg

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Please repeat, you're breaking up.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  7. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I forgot to add an interesting story (IMO) about the "Bad Jose" gasser. About 5 years ago (in the cold of winter) I am reading about an estate sale that is coming up in Elkhart, IN. The ad has the usual crap for a mid-winter auction...tires, shovels, tarps. blah blah. And then I notice an item that says Hilborn injected Chevrolet 305 engine on skid with other misc parts. So I decide to go to the place ahead of the auction to check it out. When I get there the auctioneer is there organizing and I ask him about the engine and he sends me to the owner of the stuff who is at the other end of the building. The owner tells me that when he came back from Vietnam in 1965 he and his brother bought a 55 Chevy gasser(not Bad Jose) just because they had always wanted one. He goes on to say they knew little about it and only ran it about three times and blew up the engine. Somehow they got sent to Competition Engineering and Jerry Marquart to see about another engine. Jerry sold them the engine that was in the auction and told them it was his spare engine for Bad Jose. They bought it but never used it. Things came up and they sold their gasser w/o an engine and kept the one on the skid all these years. I ended up buying it at the auction and took it all apart to see if it was what I thought it was and it was...a Hilborn injected 302 with 12 to 1 pistons, 2.02 #492 heads, all the good stuff of that era. I left it apart on purpose to sell it and sold it to someone on the HAMB for a gasser project. An additional "funny" part of this story is that when I was at the auction I saw a vintage Eelco fuel tank bunji-corded to the back of a fork-lift as a gas tank. I asked the owner if that would be off his old gasser and he said it was. The fuel pump had gone out years ago on his fork lift so he took the Eelco tank off his gasser and mounted it on the back of the forklift to gravity-feed the carb. I asked about buying it but he would not sell it because the forklift would not run without it but the forklift was in the auction. It ended up selling to an Amish fellow and I asked him about buying it. I offered him $75 for it. He said " Isn't that about the silliest gas tank set-up you have ever seen. If you can wait until I load it on my trailer I would sell it to you but $75 is way too much. How about $25?" So I left that auction with the engine and the gas tank! I even have a few pictures to verify the story. Ha! Hilborngassermotor (1).jpg Hilborngassermotor.jpg Hilborngassermotor (3).jpg Hilborngassermotor (4).jpg

8. Boden

Boden

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes I have and I've seen it make a handfull of passes at the CHRR some years back.
    That is one 55 Chevy to be reckoned with!

10. My sister's Photoshop work on fantasy images.
    GGG1.JPG GGG2.JPG GGG3.JPG

11. Yea. I have seen the car run. Launches are violent and Greg is a master at forcing this monster down the track. It is a real deal gasser.

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

So many of the great photo's in this thread are of the gasser's that run with the Southern Gasser Association which Quain Stott started and this group has managed to bring back a wonderful era of drag racing which was just the way it was in the 60's.
    I really appreciate everything all of these guys have done to bring drag racing back to what many of us remember and loved!
    For me this is the REAL DEAL drag racing and I never thought that at 73 years old I would ever see this happen again!
    I tip my hat to all the members of the Southern Gassers Association that build a car and made this whole program work. Every event they run is worth every penny of the admission to go see one of their events.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

14. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if those are Crane Fireball heads...???.....:confused::D

loudbang likes this.
  15. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Another of my old-timer favorites that I used to watch run at US 30 Dragstrip! no big thing.jpg

Brian Penrod, SS327, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

18. This one if I live long enough to finish it. IMG_0956.jpg IMG_1755.jpg IMG_4105.jpg

19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

20. The Malco Willys is, at last check, currently residing in the Henry Ford museum.

Deuces likes this.
  21. Paging @Moriarity , it seems someone built a gasser that’ll fit in your living room. Lol

SS327, RJP and 427 sleeper like this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

.....And with the cammer 427 Ford motor.....

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Back in the late 50's and 60's I was infatuated with the Gas Class cars, and wanted one badly, even before I could drive! In 1968 I bought a '40 Chev coupe, and dropped a 413 with a torqueflite out of a 1959 Imperial into it. I thought it was really neat, and it was a fun car.
    I've always loved the late 30's '37-'39 Chevy coupes as gassers, but also loved the Austins and Anglias I watched run in the 60's. The idea of a small British sedan with a V8 in it was just about as good as it got for me. When I retired in 2010 I went looking for a retirement project car. I hoped to find a '48-'52 Austin A40, or an Anglia. Instead I stumbled across an earlier pre WWII era Austin A8. It was a rust free car, and the price was cheap, so it came home with me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A year later I finished my street legal Austin gasser.
    [​IMG]

I was good then, until in 2019 at a local swap meet I stumbled across a '39 Chev coupe. It was extremely rusted, and rotted out, but the price was right. Next thing I knew we were shaking hands and I'd bought my other dream car gasser project.

[​IMG]

A couple years later it's finished, and I love it. It's getting thousands of miles racked up on the odometer, and enjoying the more spacious interior of the full sized coupe over my Austin.

[​IMG]

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

51 at Colechester Dragway.jpg 1977 plus or minus 1 year, brought it home 1968, still with me...

25. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

26. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Man, I thought this was gonna be an easy one.. wow, so many cool gassers..
    My personal favorite is "Squirrels" (Jim Forbes) PLAN II Chevy 2. It's the real deal, then some, he kicks the shit out of it, and DRIVES IT, It's the perfect example of simplicity. points ignition, single master cylinder, home-made shifter, home-made headers, you name it, he built it. I mean he built EVERYTHING himself. probably some help from his son Steven, I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Jim on the last 7 HOT-ROD drag weeks. He is the real deal. no bullshit. He DROVE the thing from sierra vista ARI-FREAKING-ZONA, then did DRAG WEEK, and drove it home.. more than once !! ..talk about HARD-CORE !!

rod1, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those are some pretty rare Americans on the front of that Willis.

65pacecar and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. SS327

SS327

Never saw No Big Thing make a decent full 1/4mile pass. Its like watching a steel wheeled pregnant roller skate slide down a sidewalk. It’s still around. It lives in Valparaiso Indiana I believe and it still looked the same last I saw it.

29. For those who appreciate history ( days gone by that is) I give you the Jack Merkel gasser. B7BEC991-D2FD-4DF8-B7D5-974546D972C2.jpeg

Gasser 57, rod1, -Brent- and 4 others like this.