Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaBeers34, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Uh oh... someone dropped the "r-r" word...

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Rat rods shouldn’t be allowed anywhere. What a waste of time, money, and effort

3. Thats a good looking Ford,to nice for any rat crap.That'll ruin it.

Truckdoctor Andy and upspirate like this.
  4. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah. Wasn't asking so much if I should do body and paint, but like if I should get the little bit of rust taken care of first, make sure nothing on the suspension something like that is bent. It's about to be rain season, so was thinking maybe I should get the rust taken care of. I have a nice car cover I already bought for it.

5. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Well thanks for letting me know that. Like I said, more of a rat rod look. But still trying to keep everything original and clean on the inside not just looking like a bunch of junk thrown together. But I guess I'll go to a different forum then.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The biggest favor you could do the car, would be to park it inside a garage. It's pretty difficult to get old cars sealed up so rain won't get in them, and the only way to stop rust is to keep it dry. And the neat thing is, if you can park it inside, then the rust won't spread. I would ignore the rust for now, after doing a complete inspection to make sure there is nothing underneath that is likely to break.

Your car isn't that different from that Edsel I had a few years ago....it was a 59 with a Y block, and was from California, it had rust around the edges all over, but nothing that would prevent using the car. It would have been very time consuming to fix the rust, or way too expensive to have someone else fix it for me, so I just ignored it. I did get the car driving pretty well, without spending too much on it. I still sold it for a loss, though.

You can like an unfinished look here, just don't use the RR words, ok? people freak out.

7. But the "grungy, straight from the field look" is.

DaBeers34 likes this.
  8. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I found real quick RR is a four letter word.

upspirate and Stogy like this.
  9. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Whatever you decide, it looks like a great car to start with!
    I've had my 59 for 14 years. They're good cars!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  10. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Thank you

Stogy likes this.
  11. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

You had some nice pictures on another thread. Definitely giving me some ideas.

Stogy likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

I drove a 59 Ford ex Michigan state police car when I was in high school.
    It had a 352 interceptor . Top end on that old Ford was unknown as the speedo only went to 120.
    Had heavy duty suspension and handled pretty good for that era of car.

13. carbking

carbking

Lots of folks mentioning brakes; which are very important.

Then some other folks mentioning registration which is extremely important.

Between registration and brakes, I would place exhaust! Nothing like choking yourself when trying to get it running!

Your car brings back good memories. Mine was red/white with a 332.

Looks like a really great project! Take your time, and enjoy the journey!

Jon.

14. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Thank you. I'm already enjoying getting a list together and looking at parts

Stogy likes this.
  15. evintho

evintho

x100 on getting the paperwork straight before investing time and money! Do you have a title or was it a lien sale? Where in California are you? Spend some time on CADMV's website or call their 1-800 number. At the end of their recording you have the option of them calling you back. It usually takes about an hour for them to respond but you get to talk to a real person who can answer most of your questions.
    Also, check out the '52-'59 Ford Social Group here on the HAMB. Tons of useful information!
    BTW, $700 is a steal! Already lowered with shaved door handles and sidepipes....you can't go wrong!

Boneyard51 and DaBeers34 like this.
  16. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Fresno CA. Lien sale. It's mine, just gotta register it.

Stogy likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Around here the primered, unfinished custom or Kustom-in-progress look is fine. I think it’s the hacked together and decorated with saw blades, chains, bullets, spider webs and skulls that make most of us puke and the Mods delete.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. If I get an old car that has an engine I start with the engine and work my way out. Engine then brakes then wiring is my normal mode.

19. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I wasn't trying to make it look hacked together or anything. It already has some seats out of a newer ish Lincoln and they are ugly. That's why I want to try and get the original bench seats or at least something close. Try and keep as much original as I can. The RR look would be more in the paint itself. Pinstripping, flat black you. But gonna make it real clean and nice.

20. Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  21. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  23. evintho

evintho

Get a California title in your name and put it on non-op if you're gonna be building it. Don't delay! They'll fine you if you don't transfer title within 10 days of purchase. CADMV imposes fines for everything! When was it last registered? If it's been awhile they'll try to make you pay for all the back registration fees + penalty. If it's been over 2 years you're subject to all reg fees + a penalty of 160% of the total reg fees! It could easily cost you more to title/register the car than what you paid for it. If you plan to register and drive it while working on it, insurance will also be required. That's why everyone says 'take care of the paperwork, first'. DMV certainly doesn't make it easy!

upspirate, loudbang and DaBeers34 like this.
  24. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I plan on putting it on non op for now. Just had to go through that whole dmv process when I bought a car for my son a few weeks ago. So hopefully they don't screw me over too much in fees. But it is California so I'm expecting it.

25. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

26. Dwardo

Dwardo

When I was in my 20s I had a '59 sedan with a six and a stick, and no power anything. It was a nice driving car. My dad had a very clean '66 sedan with the same equipment. We both agreed the '59 was a lot nicer to drive than the '66. The '66 was hard to steer and had a very sloppy shifter.

27. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I've never drive or even been in one. So I'm excited to get it started. Gonna document and take pictures of everything. So when my boys are older they can see how much work went into it, and hopefully take good care of it after I pass it down to them.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Unfortunately, you can't tell a 292 from a 312 from the outside numbers. A 292 from 1957 to 1959 has the same numbers as a 312. You need to either measure the stroke or look at the crankshaft .
    Check this out:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-to-tell-ford-292-from-312.87171/

DaBeers34 likes this.
  29. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

From what I was reading and one of the motor books I got. The numbers come back for a 1956 312. But I also did read that you can't tell those years you mentioned apart. Besides looking at the stroke or crankshaft. But I am new to this, so I'm trying to figure it all out still. I will have a friend check it for me. Thanks for the info.

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What are the numbers on the heads right under the manifold water jacket?

Bones

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.