Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Nov 25, 2019.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I just bought a 500 Cadillac Engine for a future project. I really like the script emboldened on the aluminum valve covers with fins. The problem is that I like the valve covers for the 390 type Caddy better than I like the ones for the 500 Caddy. I used to call myself a machinist many years ago and I have some aluminum and some machines, so I'm trying to figure out if I can make some adapters to put the older style with the square corners on top of the 500. I looked on line about buying a set of valve cover gaskets to use for a pattern and see if what I want to do is even possible. The problem I'm having is that the aluminum valve covers have 4 square corners, but when I look at the factory valve covers and the gaskets, they don't look square. What am I missing here ?

Finned VC.jpg 390 VC.jpg Gaskets.jpg

Just found this: Valve_Cover_Dimensions.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. You are looking at a 63 390, look at 59 to 62 ;)

ekimneirbo and winduptoy like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

What he said....

winduptoy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went out and checked one of my 500 heads in the garage and it measures right at 5-1/4 across the outside of the bump outs for the bolts and just under 22- inches long. Meaning the cast ones are 1-1/2 inches too short to fit the 500. But that saves you 600 bucks there.
    For about the same money https://yourcovers.com/valve_covers_11163.php

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    ekimneirbo likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Measurements of those covers 11163_dims.jpg
    Those early style won't work unless there is about an inch of wiggle room at each end out past the rockers.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  6. morac41

morac41

Make an adaptor plate out of 1/4" alloy

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The information you supplied was really helpful. I have it mostly diagramed now but still need to find the inside length of the valve cover. Width wise it looks doable with an adapter but I won't know for sure till I get the inside length. Guessing its about an inch less than the OAL outside. I was looking at the Max Torq Specialties site for info and they have some cheaper prices on what looks like the same valve covers. I just like the way the square ends look as opposed to the rounded ends.......so I'm checking before I leap.....
    Thanks to everyone for the help.

cp 925.jpg
    This is what I like.

11163_dims.jpg

Jet96, loudbang and ss34coupe like this.
  8. This pic is from another HAMBer,I believe Schraders Speed and Style use to sell the adapters, I dont know if these are them on this engine
    Adapters.jpg

ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

I think you should make adapters for SBC orange valve covers. :eek: So you could be like all the rest of the cars at the car shows. :p:D

kadillackid, warbird1 and ekimneirbo like this.
  10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

That looks like what I have in mind. I know there would need to be a small bit of the adapter protruding from each end, but it doesn't look too bad or too noticeable. Rough measurement shows the bolt holes on the bottom side of the rail to be very close to the same location as the two valve cover holes. The rest of the bolt pattern doesn't appear to be a problem. Anyway, this shows it CAN work. I sent an email to Schraders.....