Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stripped all the 70 year old wiring out of the back of the '50. Rear light wiring, fuel sending unit wiring, interior light wiring all gone and just as well a lot of it was in real tough shape. I made up a wiring harness a few days ago that included wiring for electric fuel pump and back up lights and I installed that today. I also made up new pigtails and ran new wires for the interior lamps up front to the door switches.

firstinsteele likes this.
  2. Got to see the top of my work bench. It’s been awhile. Yes I can throw stuff out.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Shalamo and lumpy 63 like this.
  3. My son has a restored 1944 WC dodge. However it has the incorrect cyl head and incorrect exhaust manifold. And he is missing some of the winch linkage and parts. So this will be a parts donor. the engine is locked up. The clutch released and trans shifted and rear wheels rolled . He is a little different than me. He will take it all apart. Clean everything coat it in heavy grease. Build wooden crates to store the parts in and store them in his barn.

bchctybob and j-jock like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Remember the Good Old Days when we could burn them? :)Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

It's colder but still no snow and no salt so I took the car out for a good cardiovascular session (imagine a Nürbugring with public access).
    20191124_125048.jpg 20191124_125016.jpg

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

More cleaning and painting. :)
    20191124_113802.jpg

lumpy 63, LAROKE, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6894.JPG

Got everything moved, flooring goes down tomorrow. Lost count of the milk crates full of stuff that now in the basement

Lil32, UNSHINED 2 and swade41 like this.
  8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Working on converting an old pedal car into a stroller for my grandkids, today I got the floor pan and chassis mounting points welded in... 78383273_2506565902714209_6766046501773770752_o.jpg

alfin32, Lil32, UNSHINED 2 and 4 others like this.
  9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lucky little tykes.. Go man go...

10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hyde Park NY New shop .. image.jpeg image.jpeg ..Lots of cosmetics and some landscaping , drainage.. , paint. Etc...

lumpy 63, Lil32, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  11. Cut a woman out of a car that was under the influence, split an intersection and went air born for 40 yards! Took out a guide wire and rolled into a commercial building oh and put out a garbage fire... this hero shit ain't easy lol

12. derbydad276

derbydad276

Parked the Dodge till Autorama ... See Ya in the Basement !

13. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Built a panel/fender smoother for my ‘39 Ford project. It has 18” of reach and is quite the workout. Great for smoothing out seams. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. Jeff J

Jeff J

Working on the Phaeton today , welding in the 36 Ford louver's on my smooth side panels . And rims are just for rolling it around ! 34 Phaeton 075.JPG 34 Phaeton 075.JPG 34 Phaeton 080.JPG 34 Phaeton 072.JPG

40two, alanp561, David Gersic and 7 others like this.
  15. 34Larry

34Larry

Replaced the Radiator support rods [​IMG]last Friday. Drake has a great sale on them, the threads have covers on both ends. Today I adjusted them and refit the hood to fit for and aft. Also opened up the box from Hot Heads with my new plug wires and got them ready to install.
    [​IMG]

This after taking drive with the little lady and our two kids, the Bichon's , upload_2019-11-24_18-14-40.jpeg (Misty), and (Oso))[​IMG] down to the beach. Nice warm no wind sunny day.

32SEDAN and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  16. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Put in new Flowmaster tailpipes in my truck. Not a lot of fun, but it’s a lot quieter in the cab!!

17. topher5150

topher5150

Pulled the plugs on my newly acquired engine, all eight looked perfect for an old truck engine with a Jerry rigged choke. Filled cylinder's with WD40 and filled the pan with oil

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil32 and swade41 like this.
  18. Worked on an F-1 rear fender, replacing the fiberglass IMG_8096 (1).JPG ones currently on it.
    I have a long way to go, gotta hunch there will be more than a teaspoon of filler on this one

40two, alanp561, mnjeff and 2 others like this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

After sourcing and mounting a 12 volt 2 speed motor to an old heater, I got it mounted in my '40 pickup. Now I need to get the core soldered back together, and route the pipes down through the toe board, rather than through the firewall. I am going to remove the round knockouts, and utilize the defrosters as well. IMG_3611.JPG IMG_3612.JPG IMG_3614.JPG

40two, charleyw, osage orange and 8 others like this.
  20. More back torture but almost done insulating, did the garage door one day then finished the ceiling on the other side of the I-beam over the last couple days. I can almost see me turning wrenches on the Henry J in warmth pretty soon. 20191121_171717.jpg 20191124_163614.jpg 20191124_163703.jpg

40two, charleyw, osage orange and 7 others like this.
  21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

IMG_11301.jpg IMG_11291.jpg
    Made some progress on the addition, until rain came.

40two, Hamtown Al, alanp561 and 9 others like this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Scheduled Gimpy for a VIN verification on the newest addition today. It's a '57 Morris Minor woody. While waiting I pulled out the fuel tank and looked inside. It's been cleaned and coated but the pickup tube seemed to be clogged. It comes out (sorta) so I pulled it and found a bunch of rust plugging it up. The coating had mostly plugged the pickup screen as well. All fixed now, I can reinstall it tomorrow and the little beast is ready to run.
    Gimpy arrived and performed his magic as advertised so I can hit the ever popular California DMV this week and give them some more money to not fix our roads. It was an absolute pleasure meeting and talking with him.
    The former fuel pickup screen.....and the ultimate helpful tool for working inside a gas tank. IMG_2204.JPG

Lil32, lumpy 63 and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drove out to the middle of the state and performed a VIN verification for @bchctybob.

Super cool dude, with an excellent cross-section of American, and otherwise, Iron!

blowby, clem and Lil32 like this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Came home after work started installing the freshly powder coated 1949 kitchen cabinet doors. Helped my bud Larry with his DZ 302 build. Machine shop called today and said 390 Cad short block parts ready to pick up, Including , pistons , rings , bearings etc. + balancing. Made my ass pucker, but the wife just smiled and said , Are you happy with it? :p Didn't tell her the heads aren't done yet:rolleyes:

bchctybob likes this.
  25. got up early 4 AM. went to Peel Ark and stripped sone body parts fron the Desoto /Ford Hodge podge. Took a chainsaw and cut a path . then went and chainsawed the trees around the T bird and worked and worked until I was Able to get it on the dollys and wrecker sling. got all hooked up just at dark. took 4 hours to drive 150 miles. But I got the 428 home. Success at last!

26. LAROKE

LAROKE

Continued working on Deerslayer's Jimmy 302 big port head.
    Removed the manifold studs from the head and put them aside with the head bolts. Added Dremel Motor Tool with flexible extension and abrasive buffing and wire cup wheels to the Oil Eater and Scott Towels to continue the tedjus work of cleaning the ports.

After a couple of ports, I switched from Oil Eater to Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision cleaner. It appears to be more effective at dissolving the baked on carbon in the ports.

I put north of fifteen hours into cleaning the ports until I got close enuf for gov'ment work. Another four hours cleaning the combustion chambers with wire cup in an air-powered angle grinder and cleaning the machine surfaces with Scotchbrite "cookies" in the same angle grinder made me happy.

The painted surfaces were cleaned with Scotchbrite buffs in the Dremel tool. The whole thing got a dose of PRE Paint Prep and a wipe down before being masked off. Another treatment of PRE Paint Prep to the areas to receive paint and the head was given two coats of Duplicolor "Chevy Orange" engine paint. Bob's your uncle.

[​IMG]

jimmy six, charleyw, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Started cleaning out my shop in earnest tonite, to make room for the file cabinets I bought a couple weeks ago. Got a couple hours in after super, making head way. But the neat things are I found a Edelbrock carb, I didn’t know I had! I don’t do Edelbrock carbs! I’m a Holley man! Then I found a brand new Ford motor sports cam a a set of lifters! I remember what that’s for.... but did forget I had them! Can’t wait for tomorrow... no telling what I’ll find!

Bones

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Nothing today but yesterday I put the fuel tank back in the Morris Minor, (relax-it’s a hot rod; 215 Buick/TH350). hooked it up and started it. Gas spraying out of the see-thru fuel filter. Fixed that. Starts and runs pretty good. Added water (temporarily, to look for any leaks) so far so good.
    DMV tomorrow .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lumpy 63 likes this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Still can, here in Oklahoma! And since I have ninety trees on less that an acre and my neighbors have a bunch of trees, I get to deal with a BUNCH of leaves!

Bones

The37Kid likes this.
  30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have so many trees on the 3+ acres,that I have never tried to count them............so I just let Mother Nature handle them after mulching the ones on the lawn area that I mow! :D

Boneyard51 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.