Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Respline steering shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatfendered, Nov 23, 2019.

1. I am updating the steering on a car that dad and I built when i was 13.... Now 44, the car is needing another refresh.

I need to shorten the steering shaft and respline at 9/16 - 26. Anybody have a good referral... Hopefully close to the north side of Atlanta?

Thanks - Jay

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

3. I have pm'd him... Hoping for a response. Anyone else have a recommendation?

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Considering the going hourly rate for machine work it would make more sense to source one from someone like Flaming River.

49ratfink likes this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not sure of you application without photos however I machined the end of my column shaft to 3/4DD and used a 3/4DD universal. I've also used couplers in some applications and don't advocate welding a coupler or universal joint to a shaft albeit I've seen it done on numerous occasions!

6. Dirk35

Dirk35

Moser Engineering out of Indiana can re-spline axles. They might be able to re-spline other sizes of shafts.

Doesn't hurt to check with them.

https://www.moserengineering.com/

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Finding a shop to do it is not the problem, it's the setup time for one part that would make it cost three times what it would be to buy outright from places like Flaming River or Ididit.

8. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Shortened the shaft 8" for my '32 PU. The shaft is hollow and just under 1/2" ID. I took the material out of the middle, threaded both ends of the cut tube, inserted a threaded sleeve and butt welded the shaft and and plug welded to the sleeve.

Rich B. and jimgoetz like this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Sleeved ,plug welded and pinned ( can't shear) my solid steering shaft 20 years ago ..

10. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

^^^^^
    That's how I did my 32 but I did not thread I just used a solid insert turned to fit plug and but welded.

11. This is 9/16 solid input shaft and is about 8 inches long with the pinion at end and a bearing. Dont want to cook the bearing either... However i could press off the bearing. Dont want to sleeve either being that i could not replace the bearing later. And by the way, this is the input shaft for a steering set-up that cant be mentioned here... shhh!

12. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Cut in middle, bore each side for a plug and weld as described above. Still allows for bearing installation/removal.