Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How long do you hold onto parts before you finally decide it's time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think the time has come for me to purge the shop. I don't intentionally try and hoard, but it sort of ends up that way. I have crap that I have moved 3 times spanning 30 years.

I don't think I am going to use it if I haven't by now.

Of course, until 3 days after I sell it....

How long do you hang onto "good crap" until you decide to part with it?

2. Just till I can’t stand the sight of them anymore. Then i toss them out. and then i regret it cause i need that part about 3 weeks later ! ! ! !
    Seriously.

but you got to just let it go and ya can’t look back. So thanks ! For giving me the impetuous to look back.
    Just kidding. My memories are mine.

3. Each bolt, every washer, scrap piece of metal, are like my family :l

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hang onto shit until I move it and something else falls over because of it. When that happens more than not its time to get rid of shit! Shame nobody wants any of the old stuff.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Shit , don't ask me , Ive got stuff I bought in the 60's sitting around ...

6. Still got parts from my first car.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, it's not just me then...

8. Yeah I'm tired of it. Been giving stuff away to anybody that can use it. Problem is, nobody thinks it's "good stuff" but me...

9. I'll take it all brother! It's so true, as soon as you get rid of it, you need it lol. I give away more than i keep. We all try to help each other out all we can

chryslerfan55, GordonC and Roothawg like this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hell I save the dust that's on the parts I'm saving I don't get rid of nothing......

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There's no way I'll ever get around to using all the "extra" stuff I have laying around; today I added to it with a Switch Pitch TH-400 setup. Cranks, rods, pistons, manifolds, heads, rings, bearings, camshafts, distributors galore!!! Then there's all the shifters and parts, and at least seven transmissions. My garage/shop used to be a neatly organized place; now I have trouble finding a place for something new. I need to list a lot of it on the classifieds, but we all know the kind of headache that can bring. Besides, anything I sell, the proceeds go to my wife; it's an arrangement we made when we got married, that she would't complain about my hobby/spending, but she gets the proceeds from the sales. She's made out very well a few times. Works for us, and keeps us both happy. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. I've got a bunch of model A stuff i need to let go. But yeah the price of shipping it would keep anybody from wanting it. I'll give it to somebody that will use it.

nochop and Roothawg like this.
  13. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I've got a set of Evans heads and a three deuce set up from the '60's.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have a bunch of stuff I've been kicking around for nearly 30 years, scrapped a bunch of it recently. Couldn't get a taker, locally for free. Not going to deal with shipping.

My son has a car 1 year newer. If he doesn't want it when he moves out (soon), and I don't have a planned use for it, it's going away. I don't need it, it's not worth anything and I'm tired of tripping over it.

Devin

Roothawg likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have some parts in the shed that I put in there in 1967 before I went into the Army. If I ever manage to get the shop done There will be a designated storage spot for the parts for the current projects and when that is sorted out everything else is going away. A lot of that is just junk anyhow that I never took time to sort out like coffee cans full of sbc head bolts.

Alaska Jim and Roothawg like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

You saying we're allowed to get rid of stuff?

King ford, Roothawg and Glen Vassallo like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

A few years back I was bolting together the front axle on my Model A Tudor. I showed my wife the chrome u-bolts, saddle and bottom plate I was installing and told her, “this came off the ‘33 Ford I had when I was 18.” She thought that was too cool. She’s also amazed that I bought parts over 20 years ago for cars I’m just now building.
    Yeah I’ve got stuff I’ve held onto since the ‘60s but I’ve used most of it by now. That’s why I squirreled it away. The hard part is remembering where I put it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rod1 and Roothawg like this.
  19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I've still got parts I found in alleys in 1962 ...

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm all out of "Good Stuff", the expiration date on parts is tied in with funding the next project or major addition to one that has been started. Bob

21. chrisp

chrisp

I hold on to stuff until I need money or until more valuable parts (for a build or financially) come in. I don't have much room so I have to choose wisely. I still kick myself in the ass for throwing in the trash a Mercedes 190sl grille about 20 years ago because it was always in the way and not much valuable at the time.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. 1ton

1ton

Last spring, during a major clean up, I sold what I could and scrapped a bunch o shtuff. Felt good, but I still have too much unnecessary crap. Anybody want a model a rear axle assembly? Complete with torque tube. Free!

Roothawg likes this.
  23. I don't know.....I'm going to get more tomorrow. 130 mile round trip through L.A, in L.A miles that's like over 250 or 300 round trip (it's like dog years).

I've driven a true 320 mile round trip through L.A for a stupid interior sun visor because the person wouldn't ship it......granted it's a hard to find passenger side for a Panel/Suburban only. It's hard to give up on even the smallest crap....someone could use it :D.

Hnstray, raven and Roothawg like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Getting rid of stuff doesn't come easy.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Reminds me of some old rotted door panels I threw away because they would never be usable.
    Right? Never thought about the patterns I would need to cut out using them:rolleyes:

51pontiac, Roothawg and X-cpe like this.
  26. Phil1934

Phil1934

It's not so much the age of the parts as it is the age of the owner.

27. Too Long. Ive got stuff in my hoard I have kept for 5 Decades. Never know I might need it someday?

28. I've got an old semi trailer full of stuff that I put in there about 20 years ago, after the barn fell down that I had it in for about 10 years... Are you kidding?? That stuff is priceless! :rolleyes::D

29. if I forget what I got it for, why I saved it, or if it no longer brings me any joy. But none of this really hasn't happened yet.

the stuff is all usable, but for the right project. I have a lot of projects (too many) that need things, stuff, & parts that I do not have. I have got a lot of stuff that I dont have the right project for. Any sane person would liquidate/trade/move the non needed parts in exchange for needed parts. For some reason I search out projects that need the stuff I have.

Ive put some of these things that still bring me joy up for sale that I am willing to let go. I dont mind owning them so there is no pressure to sell them. There is no desire to take a financial loss on any of it. Some has sold and some not and Im happy either way.

Roothawg likes this.
  30. X-cpe

X-cpe

My stuff is priceless too. The longer I keep it, the price gets less and less.