Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Movies and Period Correct Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I was watching an episode of "The Walking Dead" last season. The group was fighting the zombies to the death. If you looked off to the background, you could clearly see cars and trucks driving on the nearby interstate.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I thought Zombies were already dead? LOL

Boneyard51, alanp561 and Z06-LITE like this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What do you want from a movie that used WWII North American AT-6 Texans to simulate Japanese Zeros. Aside from having wings, tail feathers and radial engines, they don't look anything alike.

4. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

Im suprised know body has talked about the movie American Graffitti. Did they get it right!!. I do know that movie made me want an old car so bad. And thier were some cool cars in it, I don't recall any of them being out of character for the movie but i could be wrong.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

We only notice the cars because thats what we love and know. Movies get all kinds of things wrong from buildings to clothing to household items. Being 100% correct on everything is very expensive and hard to do. They'd need to have an expert on everything available for all sets.

Texas57, Just Gary and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There were a few errors (if I remember correctly a Toyota is seen briefly in the background of one scene) but for the most part it was pretty good.

7. upspirate

upspirate

I remember a movie, Gator McKlusky I think it was, when Burt Reynolds was driving a four dr something. The chase scene showed him rowing a Hurst floor shift to a sounded like Ferrari soundtrack, and when he pulled up to the courthouse, they show him putting a column shift in park

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve seen a lot of scenes where the camera is setting on the hood picturing the driver turning the steering wheel and you can see the gear shifter is in park!

Bones

9. I really like the early tv shows where the hero drives a 2dr, 4dr, convertible, hardtop, sedan, with whitewalls and blackwalls during the same chase scene. He enters a tunnel in a 4dr sedan and comes out in a convertible. I need to find one of those cars, would sure solve a lot of my storage problems, but I bet registering it would be a bitch.

alanp561 and williebill like this.
  10. chrisp

chrisp

Try watching an American movie set in modern times in France with people driving in 40 year old cars. Or set in the 80's-90's but with the new format license plates.
    Have you ever watch good morning Vietnam? There are like 5 French cars driving literally in circles throughout the movie.
    Not long ago I watched a US movie set in Japan with left hand drive cars driving on the right side of the road...

11. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Years ago a friend found an old car registry for movies. He registered but only got called once. They wanted his car parked at a specific downtown address all day. No usage. Just parked. With others. Must have been filming a scene along that street and needed period correct old cars. Another friend registered a hot rod. They used his car in an ad for blue Jean's. Had teenagers in and around it. These were decades ago. Don't remember registry names.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably because there wasn’t any Zeros left after the war, what we didn’t destroy we made Japan destroy.

hemihotrod66 and 46international like this.
  13. Let's not forget the best car movie ever American Graffiti has some mistakes-

Remember it is set in 1962-

A 67 Impala in the background of the cruise scene. I have heard all modern cars were to be moved for the shot and the owner didn't move it, so not to lose a days shot they worked around it.

Milner turns the corner in a scene and there is a early 70's Toyota, if you look at the driver face he looks shocked, like he made a wrong turn and ended up on a movie set.

The last is when Milner and Carol are walking in the junkyard there is a Mustang in the pile.

Frank Carey and williebill like this.
  14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

They Did A Good Job In The Movie "Paper Moon"... i144885.jpg

Cosmo49 and BigO like this.
  15. tim troutman

tim troutman

THE KILLER INSIDE ME SET IN 1952 THERES A 40S MOPAR WITH ZZ TOP TYPE GRAPHICS & DIRECTIONAL WHEELS SHOWN MORE THAN ONCE IN THE BACKGROUND & A NEWISH PETERBUILT GOOD MOVIE THOUGH

16. For me one one the worst is Heart Like A Wheel. Not for the cars ,but because it looks nothing like Shirley Muldowney's hometown of Schenectady, New York or of the drag strip at Fonda which is in the infield of the 1/2 mile dirt oval on the Fonda fairgrounds.

Fonda has raced stock cars every Saturday night since 1953. The drag strip was added in the late 50s and ran Wednesday night. Both were NASCAR.

However I heard an interview with Shirley Muldowney this spring and she said "I remember (drag)
    racing at Fonda Saturday nights"

So how can we expected Hollywood to get it right when the people who should know better have it wrong!

The Fonda Speedway the arrows point to the drag strip.
    upload_2019-11-8_12-24-27.png upload_2019-11-8_12-25-3.png

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i upset my wife while we watched a james bond movie, where bond cut the airlines on a tractor-trailer and the brake pedal went to the floor. i started laughing and pointed out that air brakes don't work that way!

alanp561 likes this.
  18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Movie : "The Mirror Cracked(Liz Taylor, Kim Novac, Tony Curtis) set in England in 1953. ERROR : Tony Curtis drives up in 1959 Cadillac Convertible....

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wander sometime if they dont at least partially intentionally do that to create interest/conversation for car guys at least in todays movies:D:D
    That is a favorite memory for me, of my Dad and I when we would set and pick a movie apart about the inaccuracy of the car stuff, hubcaps flying off then reappear in the next turn or jump etc.etc.etc...:D

20. the Hitchhiker 1953
    hitchiker.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^^^^^
    For hell's sake … it appears the Mexicans invented the now popular "coupster" ...

62rebel likes this.
  22. found a side shot
    the movie was on this week, noticed the A with the 32 shell. Hot rod?
    Id drive it
    hitchhiker_flat.jpg

23. Just watched "Harlem Nights" on cable an the old cars are period perfect even the Police cars, Ambulance and Taxis are also there just like they would have at the time, and I can't help but drool over the Big Ass Classics. Lots of cars in this movie.
    b5ce22de2a59ee231a834dd65dcbe35e.jpg i164040.jpg

Alleycat13 and 51 mercules like this.
  24. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Only on the HAMB could a 67 model car be called modern.

Texas57, alanp561 and chevy57dude like this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

While it is period correct, I noticed in the movie "Hairspray", when the lead actress sings "Good Morning Baltimore" a car in the background is a 1956 Meteor. Good Canadian trivia.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I bought some car parts in Chino, Ca from a guy there and he had one of the Taxi's from Harlem Nights.

BigO likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a '56 Meteor... I better watch Hairspray again!

28. 62rebel

62rebel

"The Untouchables" movie... damn near every car was a Model A Ford.... "Full Metal Jacket".. same four French cars going in circles... Now, for my favorite movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"... loads of great cars and all of them are correct for the era since it was made in '62 and represented "present day" Southern California... of course, the driving shots with Dick Shawn and Milton Berle are laughable....

29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I loved the elusive 1964 Chevy Malibu in the film Repo Man.

30. That's cool, lucky you. :D