Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 19, 2019.

1. toml24

toml24

Ford Vs Ferrari is very similar to the 2003 horse racing movie "Seabiscuit". Both are produced to create a "feel good" experience and create talk at the water cooler at work. Both take creative liberties with known facts and we don't care (much) because the story is that good. We all want to see a good movie and if a little history is changed to make a good movie then so be it.

loudbang, Felix 40, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I couldn't agree more, not sure Matt Damon was the best choice to portray Shelby but they more than made up for it with Bale, now I want to learn more about Ken Miles.
    I knew I would see the movie eventually but rarely do I see one this soon after release, I'm just not much of a movie guy, but here is what's really weird, my wife talked me into going (today), and double weird is she loved it and she could give a rip about racing.
    Another thing is I NEVER see a movie twice, well, almost never as this one I will watch again.
    One thing I caught myself doing was picking apart the few inaccuracies in the movie then realized I was missing too much because of the continuous action.

3. aircap

aircap

Mickey Thompson - I thought this one was already in the works.
    Snake & Mongoose - Guess you missed that one, it's already been done.
    NASCAR - When, which era, which driver? Be more specific (a bunch have already been done).

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Of the ones mentioned I think Mickey Thompson's story is most compelling.

As for Smokey Yunick, his life story would also make a great movie but it would have to be rated NC-17. :)

chriseakin, Hnstray, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. slowmotion

slowmotion

M/T & Smokey, I agree. One that might make a great feature film because it's somewhat of a love story is Jungle Jim and Pam. Now there's a film that could be made with a wider audience market in mind.

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

My wife had no interest in seeing it, so i went monday at noon before my 12hr night shift. I really enjoyed it. From what ive read the portrayal of Leo Beebee wasnt very accurate but i guess every story needs an antagonist, which they did a good job with that because i wanted to punch him in his face. I dont usually watch movies at the theatre twice, but i would definitely see it again

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  7. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

FORD vs FERRARI is really an iteration of a David & Goliath story based on motor racing.

The real reason for the broad appeal of this film has to be attributed to the fact that FERRARI is the most recognised brand in the world according to Forbes.

Everyone, car lovers or otherwise recognise Ferrari as a symbol of success.

Anyone with the balls to challenge the top dog has to be a story worth telling.

The underdog taking the podium reinforces the aspirations of hope that anyone can succeed if they strive to win.

That's the feel good part everyone aspires to and enjoys!.

Lamborghini was a tractor manufacturer that no one cared about until he set out to challenge Ferrari in the supercar field.

Lamborghini with hardly any advertising to speak of and with a trickle of production become an instant household name almost the equal of Ferrari.

Its David and Goliath stories that capture the imagination of audiences.

8. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I could not have said it better! I enjoyed the movie but the story of Mickey Thompson would be a treat to hot rodders and the general public!

9. I honestly don't think a movie geared toward our hot rod & custom heroes would have the wide multi-generational appeal as this move, with any of the people mentioned the movie would be mediocre at best.

Even with today's equipment and excellent actors, there is not a story that comes close to the, "David and Goliath story" as a fellow member alluded to.

I would like to see these type of movies but I doubt anyone in their right mind is ever going to spend anywhere near 97.6 million dollars (based on what this movie cost) to make a movie about hot rodder's or customizer's. HRP

FlyFisher, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Saw it last night,really enjoyed it. {not many hollywood screw ups,the SBC on engine dyno was funny as a Ford,, LOL }Already knew a fair bit about the real of it . I was very into racing in the 60s an 70s,an my own speed shop,had been a race shop for years before I rented the place. I also raced my self both oval ,loacl an Tel. Bristal,Daytona,,an sports cars. 12 hr Sebring,24 Daytona ,Road A.to name a few. Worked on Brine Onels GT40.
    Well done this time Hollywood!

Dan Hay, CGkidd, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  11. rad red

rad red
    from MN

Absolutely Mickey Thompson!
    The story of Steve McQueen, Vic Hickey, and the Baja Boot would make a great show as well.
    [​IMG]

12. The Seabiscuit comparison was what I thought also, a great movie. Worlds Fastest Indian came to mind too but not sure why. Maybe just the feel good aspect.

13. Saw Ford/Ferrari movie——was VERY loud in theater and I am near deaf. I would advise ear protection—-but overall movie was very well done!

chevy57dude, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  14. I would really like to hear about your ( and all you old guys) stories. I’ve been to road America a few times, it’s an AWESOME facility.
    There are a lot of guys who post here and dole out little bits and pieces of history, but rarely tell the whole story. I’m sure there are others who would really enjoy your stories!

loudbang, dana barlow and tractorguy like this.
  15. Saw the original "On any Sunday " many times as a "dirt biker" at the time.....never got old. Just had the Racer Reunion here locally and they included the bikes for the first time - our local hero - Mike Kidd - was great.

El Hueso, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  16. As a kid going on his teen years the 1-2-3 finish was a night's dream.....see avatar......

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks Scotty T, I'm 77 now ,and have posted a good number of stories. Just put my name in HAMB search or my avatar posts an run down too find some
    , ,an have fun,if ya need more info on any just ask.

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

If you watch the DVD commentary they even point out a few things they had to add/change or move around the timelines in order to tell the story in the run time of the movie. I'm sure the Ford v Ferrari people had to do the same, and I don't think it's a bad thing. It's just the best way to tell the story.

Just Gary, loudbang and wraymen like this.
  19. aircap

aircap

I look for Bale to get Best Actor honors.

20. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

I dug it. The Dewey Weber surf shop in the background with Link Wray on the radio was a nice little slice of life...

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  21. toml24

toml24

There was another 'feel good" racing movie from 2005 titled "Madison", about hydroplane racing. Based on a true story, I saw it on cable TV. No big-name actors in it. The movie tried to have a great emotional ending. It could have used a big name in it.

22. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Ak Miller coming 5th overall in the '54 Carrera Panamericana.

In an Oldsmobile powered 27 Ford on a shoebox frame.

Beat a lot of high end race cars in the process. Real ingenuity and grit.

23. Boodlum

Boodlum

Would enjoy a movie telling stories of the personalities, events and cars of famous "Thunder Alley", the 11000 block of West Jefferson Blvd in Culver City CA.

Among others, Lance Reventlow, TRACO Engineering, Troutman and Barnes, Dick Gulstrand, and for a brief time, the home of Jim Garner's American International Racing.

Remember John Mecom Jr. sending his Lola GT (Ford GT40 predecessor) to Traco at Thunder Alley to have the Ford engine swapped to a small-block Chevy after Henry Ford II's unfortunate attempt to buy the car. That scene at the Mecom Racing shops at Houston Hobby Airport between Mecom's grease-stained race crew and Ford's corporate suits was epic. Enzo Ferrari couldn't have done it better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    tractorguy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. I always thought that someone, {George Lucas}? should made a series of movies based on the Henry Gregor Felsen books. Think, {American Graffiti}. I think they would appeal to just about everyone. They were the stories that got a lot of us Loving Hot Rods. They have, youth, drama, girls, Hot Rods and a cool story too. Ron..... [​IMG]

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drag racing and hot rods in the colloquial sense have yet to shake the hoodlum-dirty Tshirt image. "Heart Like a Wheel" about Shirley focused on the drama of a woman drag racer. "Snake and Mongoose" likely didn't have the budget (or cars) to really impact the big screen, and most people don't care for consistent winners. Don't get me wrong, everybody loves a winner...once. Trying to meld a select and misunderstood venue like drag racing (not many know how hard it can be) in a big screen audience of phone freaks is a hard sell and mega challenge. Any custom (kustom) story would have to be all of them. ALL OF THEM. Big Daddy, Von Dutch, Watson, Winfield, Bailon, Tony Nancy and more. The story would have to be about the life which the majority of us are acclimated to, and with the BS "Von Dutch" clothing gig might even attract several that have never been in the loop. I know what I want to say but it may not be getting delivered right. Feel free to pick it up where I'm leaving off.

treb11, dana barlow and tractorguy like this.
  26. Squablow

Squablow

Hard to build up tension and suspense in a drag racing movie when the action only lasts a few seconds. Smokey Yunick (sp?) would be a good one but it'd almost be a comedy with all of the creative non-cheating he did, a really great script would make a good movie.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've always thought the same thing.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  28. Boodlum

Boodlum

A young Tommy Lee Jones would have played a better Carroll Shelby.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Finn Jensen, tractorguy and LAROKE like this.
  29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That's not the Olympic slogan, it is the ABC "Wide World of Sport" slogan.

lurker mick likes this.
  30. I look forward to seeing Ford vs Ferrari. There are only a couple mentions in replies here for World's Fastest Indian. That was a good story for non-car audiences, but still had some good racing or building the racing bike.
    Overall I like that so far F vs F is getting such good reviews.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t, tractorguy and Boneyard51 like this.