Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does this sound like a set-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree with the first part but the last part is a stretch to say the least.
    A man that has been bitten by a dog is very likely not to trust another. Ask Pavlov.:)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I said 'often'...not ALWAYS...…….and I understand the reference to Pavlov. If you doubt what I say, don't take my word for it.....ask anyone with experience in 'retail'...….

Anyway, I decided to delete the entire post.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    brad2v likes this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I wouldn’t do it.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Fishy? I gave a rare gearbox to a US Navy guy, but I’m all the way down here...... I got instructions to meet his ship at the Australian Navy base in Sydney. Drive the two hours to the base , somehow conned my way in and got a message to the ship. this huge guy came down ( not the guy I was dealing with) picked up the gearbox , put it on his shoulder and and went back up the gangway with it...... fishy?

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Something sounds dirty to me!

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

And a GoCam...

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m trying to give away a complete set of 56 Ford front brakes. A guy wants them but won’t drive 1-1/2 hours to get them. I’ve done my part.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would rather hand the part to a human being, so there would be no question about the actual delivery, but once you have dinero in hand, I don't see much of a problem here, unless the neighborhood is bad. If these guys are armed robbers, I would think they could find a victim with a lot less dinking around than this.

Squablow, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Year's ago, I responded to an ad for a '40 Ford sedan located a long way away. When I got there, there was a note on the door saying he forgot I was coming but to help myself to his shop that was unlocked if I needed any tools to get the car and send him the money. Times were simple back then.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

A lot of confusion going on here. Seller gets paid up front. Best is with US postal money order. He cashes the money order at the post office. Incidentally if the seller gets a bum US postal money order, part doesnt get delivered. After he gets paid, he drops the piece off at a friend's house. Why is he just leaving it there? Because he already got paid and that's what the buyer wants him to do. He probably is making it easy on his buddy or something by not having him deal with his bs. Will the seller get robbed when he gets there? Sounds a little paranoid to me. What are they going to steal, the part that is already paid for? Maybe he gets robbed at the gas station near his house when he fills up for the trip....if he wants to pay you in any other way other than a USPS money order, or an instrument you can cash at the issuers branch...ie Wells Fargo, Chase bank or similar..disregard everything I said. I think since he offered to send cash..its probably ok.

11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Buyer is 3 hours away. His friend is close to seller. How does buyer get the part? He has to go 3 hours there or have friend drive 3 hours delivering it to him.
    Now... that in itself isn't suspicious?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

12. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Watch oit for fake cash. I saw a bit on local news last night about 'movie money's available on the big auction sites. That stuff looked very real, until you looked real close.

13. donsz

donsz

The part is a stock 1965 Chevy 348 intake manifold, price $80. He did mention the part in the email.
    Also his email handle has "58" in it (a 1958 Chevy had a 348 option), so it might be something he would use.
    The house looks like a normal house (corner lot) and the neighborhood seems OK (Googled it).
    I have gotten emails where they want to purchase what I have for sale, but don't mention the
    part. I ignore those.
    don

Squablow and 5window like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since you asked.……"NO"...….not only 'no'...but "Hell NO". It's simple, really......but apparently you can't comprehend that.

The Buyer will have the peace of mind that the part is paid for, in the possession of his buddy, and they can make any arrangement to get together that works for them. Meanwhile, the Seller has his money for the part and on his merry way.

Ray

15. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I see a lot of people like USPS money orders for getting paid. What about the other side of the transaction? What protection does the buyer have with a money order? Say you send a money order and never get your parts. What happens then? I haven't had problems yet, but I always feel funny dropping the money order in the mail slot.

16. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Here we go..."but apparently you can't comprehend that."
    Apparently you can't comprehend that item HAS to get to the buyer. Somehow. Either buyer travels to "friend" or " friend" travels to buyer.
    Do you understand THAT?
    Now...that being factual...why doesn't "friend" get item, cash in hand...or buyer go to seller since he's that close.
    You'll counter with "less hassle".
    A few hassle scenarios. 1) buyer sends money, a dollar in the envelope. (Proof?)
    2) buyer sends full amount, cash and it's good. Seller drops part off as instructed.
    Few days later...email from buyer..."where's my part? Part was damaged. Part not as described. List goes on...
    It's NOT a proper transaction and makes no sense. Seller is free to handle it any way he/she wants. Seller has received good advice former police officer, etc.

17. Scam and a half. REALLY odd to drop off parts and leave them in the open. I would pass on it.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when the time comes that a CASH PAYMENT of $80.00 sends me to the conspiracy loony bin where I think I will be robbed, otherwise ripped off or worse that will be that last time I sell anything.

swervyjoe, Squablow, Baumi and 7 others like this.
  19. Call me paranoid, I don't go to do any craigslist dealings without my H&K 40 caliber. Been in to many shady feeling situations.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What if 'they' get the drop on ya? :D

(I have had CCW for several years.....it's much better than nothing, but no guarantee)

Ray

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

MOST SANE POST SO FAR! ;)

swervyjoe, Squablow, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  22. 5window

5window

Ok, you're paranoid. I'm not getting into a gun battle with anybody over 80 damn dollars.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  23. Dang, I sure hope this whole thing works out 'cause it has my head spinning.

24. 100% right. But I bring mine no matter if it feels good or not. Been to more than one where I pull up in front of the house and it just doesn't feel right.....truck goes back in gear, and away I drive.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  25. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Most same post so far.

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

Look at Google maps street view. He could have just described that scene. The scam could simply be a claim that it wasn't delivered and a protracted legal battle. I would insist on a personal hand off to his buddy at that address just to play it safe.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

This way, way too complicated for the amount of money involved.Claim away. He said, she said, small claims. Ain't nobody taking this much trouble over 80 dollars.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. Jesus, it's an 80.00 intake. Sell it, drop it off at his buddys and you'll be fine. If you were the buyer, and really wanted it, wouldn't you rather have it a buddies then at a sellers whom you've never met. I have done this myself, both ways. Even delivered a truck I sold in the next town over at the guys friends place...guy was 5 hours away and couldn't come get it for a few months.

You'll be fine. If it was a 10,000.00 part...Id be worried. It's not. Its just a guy trying to get a part he needs and luckily knows a guy in the same town as the seller.

29. goldmountain

goldmountain

All this concern for an old intake? Just drop it over the fence.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and 49ratfink like this.
  30. I'm wondering just how far the seller has to drive (round trip) to deliver this thing. For a lousy 80 bucks I wouldn't want to go very far. Time and gas equal money. Add to that the uncertainty of the whole deal, and it looks like a losing situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.