Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2019.

1. I got a call from a old friend last night and he was looking for a driveshaft, it seems his supply has dried up, he had priced having one custom made but didn't want to spend the money having someone else do what he has always done, he prefers to cut a old driveshaft down to fit.

Being a pack rat I have bought several cars in the past to get engines,transmissions and rear axles, I always kept parts I think I might need in the future and drive shafts are one of those pieces along with the yoke.

When he shows up this afternoon he can pick one out and cut it to fit, do any of you guys still use older drive shafts? HRP

2. We keep a pile of them, mainly as cores to use the ends and the yolks. Still send them to a shop to have a new tube made and then balanced. Our pile though has been getting smaller as we have been doing 67-72 C10's and converting them from 2 piece setups to 1 piece.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

I bought my last one from a fellow that wrecks mostly P-71's. He must have had 10-15 driveshafts to choose from. There Alcoa aluminum, 3.5 diameter, 1350 u-joints front and rear, balanced to 140 mph.
    They have a painted stamp on them that says "police" and "discard if dropped". For $50 I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

3W JOHN, pitman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 4tford

4tford

I use to use them but when the junk yards disappeared so did the used supply. My last build I bought made to order.

5. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I usually kept a few, but only have one left. It will be cutdown for my 32 build.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was watching one of those restore TV programs the other night and cringed when I seen this guy clamp the driveshaft tube in the vice and proceed to beat the U joint out. :eek:
    Oh, and yes I run cut down used driveshafts. :)

7. squirrel

squirrel

My supply is also rather low right now, I've had a few made new recently....$300 a pop vs $100ish these days to get one shortened. Used to be I'd get them cut for $20, but I'm getting old, too.

3W JOHN, dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Anymore I just use these guys. https://www.actionmachineinc.com/
    I know one of the owners( no discount!) He lives about a mile from me so i get personal service.

9. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I've been cutting them down for years and then truing them up in our 9' lathe before welding them. But they're getting harder to find as many manufacturers went to a "bottle neck" design in the 70s that don't work as well to shorten in the process we use. I've watched my grandfather and uncle build dozens of driveshafts over the years and we've never had one balanced and never had an issue. Just make sure you line up the yokes and having the big lathe to get them true makes a big difference.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't keep them too long, those yolks will rot.;)

3W JOHN, raven, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also used Action Machine for a new driveshaft. I read some engineering stuff that I got from a friend and I realized the used shaft I had shortened was not even close to meeting the rpm and torque requirements that I might need. The guy at Action agreed.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The local salvage yard I have been going to for over 40 years still has a giant shelf full of driveshafts. I have been able to find "right length" shafts out of that pile many times. When I changed my 61 Impala from a turboglide to a turbo 350 back in 1985 I shortened and welded the front half myself and it is as smooth as a gravy sandwich at 100 mph and I have put 50,000 miles on it since

13. I have three left, and at 76, I can't see using them all.
    Bob

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I use what I can find and have a large stack of them. I collected them years ago, I was able to use some rear drive shafts to to replace the spindly front 4x4 drive shafts in pickups, with no machining.
    I always had my driveshafts modified at our local machine shop. But had a friend that would cut and weld his driveshafts right in his shop. Neve seemed to have any trouble.,

Bones

15. Smooth as a gravy sandwich? that's a new one on me. :D HRP

3W JOHN and Moriarity like this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have a few leftover and several short ones from different engine/trans I ran an moved on. Always cut down stick shafts.

3W JOHN, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I used to dig through the huge pile at the junkyard to find the one of the correct length with the right size cups, no need to spend money shortening them.
    Cost was $20 to $25 twenty years ago.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I used ones and have them cut, but the last one cost me 170$ to short and balanced with new joints

19. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Mine for my ‘57 Chevy Sedan was made by SouthWest Speed. Seems nice, not run yet.

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don’t usually use old ones anymore. I use 2 local places that do really well for a good price and I’ve used Denny’s in the past too. I had this happen behind a 286 Flatty once.
    39A874EC-14FB-4B7F-A885-E81077C71E0E.jpeg

21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a 3 " big sucker NASCAR steel driveshaft for 50.O0 bucks..Got a couple GM shafts hanging around...

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a pile of junk to choose from , usually keep a few on hand . I have one to share with all of you . I had a 70 Torino Cobra , 429 SCJ Drag Pack, 4 speed , car years ago . The drive shaft was 3 pieces , as in the yoke ends were pressed in to the main tube in rubber . How in the hell did that work and not twist the yokes out of phase or just sit and spin the yoke in the tube . I ran that 4000 lb vessel rather hard all day long . When you banged a gear , the ash tray would fly out and it felt like you just got rear ended by a loaded dump truck .

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cadillacs had a damper built into them....driveshafts make great side pipes ..here's set I built image.jpeg

24. Use the old one's for fence posts..........

3W JOHN, raven, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

For those who like to shorten their own, and are looking for longer ones to start with, some 1973 longbed C10's had a one piece driveshaft when equipped with a TH350.

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve still got a few short ones, but no long ones.:( No yards left close to me anymore either, and pull a part has mostly fwd junk. I actually had to lengthen the one in the Lincoln when I swapped it to Ford power train, had one that slipped down into the other just right, welded it up. Going to try it and see how it works, if it vibrates I guess I’ll have to order one online somewhere, no driveshaft shops around anymore either.

27. atch

atch

Sounds familiar. The shaft in Clarence was $15 in 1992. Had to spend a couple of hours going through a pile at a boneyard. I had planned to go back to that same place when the Model A is ready for a shaft. Unfortunately the owner of that yard died last year and everything got sent to the crusher. I don't have a source any more. I'll be up a creek unless I find another source. OR I'll have to shell our the ca$h to have one built.

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I stopped in at one new to me junkyard back when I was looking to dig through a driveshaft pile.
    I asked the man how much the driveshafts were, and he answered, "Depends which one, they're around $25 to $75."
    So I immediately answered, "How much is one that's 57 inches long with Ford small U-joints?"

Not surprisingly, he wouldn't give me a price other than "Dig one out and we'll see.". I said that was ridiculous and left.

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Who won? You or him?

Bones

30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I guess we both lost, he didn't make a sale and I didn't buy anything.
    But at least I didn't waste a pile of time to be told that the crusty old driveshaft I found just happened to be the expensive one.

I got a shaft at a different yard shortly after, for $25. It did involve a bit of sorting through a pile of driveshafts, and bushwhacking, but was a straightforward, pleasant financial transaction.

3W JOHN, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.