Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Ford vs Ferrari at the end of the HAMB era

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 3, 2019.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wife and I went to see the film, the theater was packed ! I agree, Matt Damon was miscast as C.S. but then again, its hard to cast for that part because of who C.S. was, I will give him, ( Damon ) credit for taking that role on, hard to duplicate the legend that was C.S.

Tracy Lett's was convincing as Henry Ford ( the deuce )

Christian Bale as Ken Miles, was spot on. I have seen Le Mans, Grand Prix, Rush, Driven, Steve McQueen and James Garner in my opinion would have approved of this film, it wasn't boring. Even though this isn't a film about " hot rods " , I felt that the production crew did an excellent job of portraying the time period and the competition between Ferrari and Ford, it helped that the story line was based on a true story, and real people!

Its dammed hard to make a film about Racing, and lets face it, Hollywood is in it for the money, not about accuracy, but this is a film that is " good value for your money ". I recommend it for all gear heads, go for the story and the sound and the realism, don't try to pick it apart other wise, just be glad that this film got the green light to make it !

This isn't a spoiler alert, but I will give you these teasers, these 4 elements in the film really made me smile , they were in my opinion " key moments " that really made the film, you will just have to go see the film for yourself's, to see how they were used in the making of the film, you wont be disappointed !

wrench.JPG stray nut.JPG hanhart-stopwatch-1 (2).jpg beech 18 flabob (3).jpg

Kenny P, The37Kid, Just Gary and 9 others like this.
  2. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Shelby ran three Mk 2s in 1966 (Miles/Hulme, Gurney/Grant, McLaren/Amon), the year of the 1-2-3 finish. The Gurney car had the "bubble" in this race. There were at least a dozen GT40s starting the race, including other "factory" teams from Holman-Moody and Alan Mann, and several "privateers". Ford was entered and failed in the two preceding years; I think the movie gave the impression that there was only a single winless year.

Miles was 4 laps ahead shortly before the race end. To allow the McLaren car to catch up, an extra stop for brake rotors was made, which is widely believed to have resulted from some skulduggery by Ford. McLaren crossed the finish line first; Miles thought he was at least a lap ahead, was shocked to see the victory given to McLaren. The 3rd place car was actually a couple of laps down.

stillrunners, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  3. Saw the movie today and thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly Christian Bales performance..........will be seeing again sometime for sure......andyd

stillrunners, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  4. I’m taking my 9 year old son as well. His mother is a former Sailor and his father is a diesel truck mechanic, he knows all the words, but bless his heart, never uses them. He is also shaping up to be a Ford Man as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The documentary on Amazon Prime is excellent, with all actual footage.

loudbang likes this.
  6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Saw it last night , I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife and I saw it in IMAX last night. I thought Damon did a credible job as Shelby. Obviously when you are so familiar with what the real person looks like, you have to suspend your disbelief, but I didn’t have any complaints. But the movie is more the story of Ken Miles’ life than it is Shelby, or Ford as a company.

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My sister got us tickets online , when we got seated in the theater, I looked across the isle from my seats and that’s what I saw! FAFE4330-9EBD-4B2D-A5D4-EBE2AF0A5DF6.jpeg

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

G-son and stillrunners like this.
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It took me awhile to get past Damon in that role ,I thought the movie started a little slow but overall I think it was good entertainment, and I didn’t feel robbed like I do half the time with these new Hollywood movies

I read where mr. Bebe wasn’t the scumbag they portrayed in the movie I think it’s unfortunate that they didn’t maybe make some fictious characters for the bad guy roles if that was true

I would watch it again

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Saw it yesterday. I thought it was very well done. Kept me on the edge of my seat quite a bit during the race scenes. I'd recommend seeing it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Couldn't take it any longer had to Google CGI...…………… I'll add it to my list of WTF, BTT, and SSAE, etc.

Bob

Nova Thug and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. toml24

toml24

Many of the cars in the movie came from Shelby Legendary Cars in Irvine, CA. This photo is from the Los Angeles Times Business section on November 7, 2019.
    2019-Shelby cars-1.jpg

14. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Saw it Friday, I'd give it a 70% Rotten Tomatoes ( according to them Black Panther is the highest rated movie of all time.) No joke.......I think it was Damon's best, Bale is always good. What gets me it's 2019 and Hollywood still doesn't understand how downshifting works. Watch Days of Thunder, You'll know what I mean. Harry, I'm dropping the hammer! (You're at 9,000 RPM's and you're in top gear). :rolleyes: Brother.

15. Enjoyed it Thursday....Bale banged it....a lot.....his o'lady was sweet too !

16. das858

das858

I saw it last night with my wife and a cousin , we all enjoyed it thoroughly ! Very well made and acted , Bale was perfect, Damon was good as Shelby , even if he's not Shelby's size . The race scenes with the in car cameras gave a real feel of the speed .

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Just got back from the theatre,
    Loved it!
    Probably will see it again next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. toml24

toml24

$31 Million opening weekend take from 3,528 US locations. $52.4 million globally. No. 1 leader in films.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    stillrunners, Boneyard51 and The37Kid like this.
  19. aircap

aircap

Gurney ran and won in 1967 (with Foyt). No bubble in '66.

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Saw it yesterday, New the ending but kept quiet so as not to spoil it for the wife, Being a tech kind of person, I had to set my mind as to not pick it appart, Bale and the actress who played his wife were amazing, Damon was good, in his part also , and for the most part, if you did not know the real CS, It didn't matter.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan Gurney and Jerry Grant did drive a Mk 11 in '66, just didn't finish.

23. Hollow Head

Hollow Head
    from Finland

24. Hollow Head

Hollow Head
    from Finland

Look at all those MK II's and GT40 cars that were entered but were not accepted! And their drivers...

25. 150J/F

150J/F

Saw the movie yesterday, courtesy of the local Ford store. They booked the theater for over 100 gearheads. Good time and good movie.

stillrunners and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Loved it and my wife loved it -- and she is not particularly into cars.

Contrary to may comments on here, I thought Matt Damon was pretty good, too.

stillrunners, Boneyard51 and Squablow like this.
  27. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I wouldnt give matt damon the time of day much less my money

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are going tonight.

arkiehotrods and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

The Gurney Mk2 (#3) in '66 did indeed have a "bubble", as did the winning #2 car. The Miles car did not. The Gurney Mk4, winner in '67, had a more pronounced bubble, as the body shape was redesigned to minimize car front cross-sectional area. When the name "Gurney Bubble" was coined is a moot point, and I don't know.

Good actual race footage is here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wat...gedy-and-a-photo-finish-at-le-mans/vp-BBWRpru

Will send photos.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019