Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When did you realize that hot rods were cool ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themoose, Nov 15, 2019.

1. 1958 ...We moved into a new neighborhood and I saw my first hot rod across the street..a 1932 Ford red highboy roadster. I went over to check it out. It had a Mercury Y block engine in it. I knew what it was from looking at magazines but that was my first real world encounter.

chryslerfan55, themoose and Stogy like this.
  2. X-cpe

X-cpe

Almost 16, that was my first copy of Hot Rod. "Beach Boys Coupe" on the cover. Gave me automotive direction.

Montana1, The37Kid and Stogy like this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I think I must have been about 6 (1956). We moved to the community of Westchester near LAX and it was an active hot rod community. I always “helped” my dad work on his Hudson and his ‘49 Ford but in the new neighborhood there were a lot of hot rods and modified cars. As I got older and could ride my bike farther I would ride around and stop to watch older guys working on their hot rods. It was the best.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. hudson48

hudson48

My interest in cars was from an early age,like 5 or 6. Loved looking through my mothers Women's Weekly and some other US magazines she had from the late 30's into the late 40's and the pictures showing ads for all kinds of cars including Hudsons, LaSalles Cadillac etc.
    By early teens I found some US Hot Rod magazines in the newsagents(we didn't get a lot over here then) and I saw hot rods for the first time and that was it. I would walk all around the neighborhood and find old cars under houses
    or in the back yards. No money then so all I could do was dream.
    Sold my bike at 13 and purchased a 1938 Ford Club Roadster that I could drive around on a kind of private property near us. First actual hot rod was purchased in 1968 and that was a channeled 29 Ford roadster with Y Block/39 trans.
    Many cars since and I still love hot rods but have also crossed into customs as well.

5. About 1960 or so. I was 6 years old and if it had a motor on it, I was in on it. I had to see what made it go! :cool:

scott27, themoose and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any pics of it's 61 Configuration KK? That sounds like a Homogenized thread Candidate...;)

The whole Kitten Caboodle of the Big Picture was extremely Cool Beyond Words...;)

Fingers crossed you have one...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 years old. 1960.

We lived in a duplex. Three neighbor boys, all greasers. Outside, revving their flathead Ford coupe. Me at the window... Wow! My mom... Ricky, get away from that window. I think she was afraid of me being negatively influenced by those bad boys.
    Too late.

Cars were such a huge part of our culture back then. Chances were good that almost any little boy would get hooked on cars.

I remember my mom asking me one summer Sunday morning just after feeding and getting me dressed. Again, I was only 3.
    What would you like to do?
    I told her... I wanna go outside and sit on the porch steps.
    I remember she laughed and said, okay. I think she was laughing at my resolve... that such a little guy seemed to know exactly what he wanted to do at that moment. She didn't realize but I truly had a purpose. I knew that all the nicely dressed people in their suits and hats and shiny shoes and pretty dresses and white gloves would soon be pulling up to the church across the street... in all their beautiful cool cars. Cars from the 40s and 50s and early 60s. And I was going to sit and watch them. This wasn't my first rodeo, LOL. I had done this a couple Sundays previous.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't see them on TV in the late 60s between ages 6 and 10...I know I Watched The Beaver...:confused:...Cleavers...:D, The Monkees with possible Cameos of On Topic Hotrods...and mentally registered some Ions but The Bug Really bit in 72 when I met a School Buddy whose Father had already Lit The Hotrod Torch in Him with his Go Fast Hoodlum Past with Several Vintage Fords and Some Other Hop Ups...With all this influence I was next to Solidify the Hotrod Bug and in an unusual way Hamb Vintage Hotrod to boot...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and themoose like this.
  9. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

When my next door neighbor's oldest son came back from the Korean War his car club started having monthly meetings next door. I was six or seven and my mom wouldn't let me go outside on those nights. So I sat at my bedroom window and watched the action. They were so cool. Even more so because my mother didn't like them and thought they were sent by the devil.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...The Devilish Hoodlums...Wasn't that a Movie?...:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. I'm pretty sure it was from birth, but certainly by the time I was building model kits. 07032014 (1) (1).jpg

12. May 5, 1974, the day I was born. I think it was hereditary, when I was born, Dads 63 Split Window was in our garage next to his buddy’s XKE. Next, Grandad’s first car was a brand new 1950 Shoebox with a V8. Grandpa’s first new car was a 1954 Ford with a Y and overdrive. If that wasn’t enough, Mom and Dad got me a subscription to Popular Hot Rodding when I was 10. I’ve been a goner ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. v8flat44

v8flat44

When i was 14, a long time ago, and my cousin got a 30 A 2door with a "built" 60 V8 in it.
    I think i loved it more than he did. He sold it when i hit 16....dad said NO NO NO. Never saw it again.

scott27 and themoose like this.
  14. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

It was 1956 and I was 12 years old.

themoose and Montana1 like this.
  15. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

16. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

The first time I bought a HOTROD mag back in the 50's. At that time my parents pitched a fit but I still think they are cool, that's why I own one today...…………...

scott27, chryslerfan55 and themoose like this.
  17. l've been building model cars for all my kids along the way. This week we are doing an OT
    '67 Camaro for my 8 yr. old grandson. Since he was about 6 mo. old, he was always fascinated with the colored pictures in Street Scene. I think he's hooked!

I'm trying to pass the bug on to the next generations. ;)

themoose and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. error404

error404
    from CA

probably when I was a kid. I still have a pinewood derby car (boy scouts?) that I cut into the classic shape of a hotrod with no hood and a chopped top.

themoose, lothiandon1940 and Montana1 like this.
  19. My Dad and I did a Pine Wood Derby in the early 60's, but we made a front engine digger with a blown hemi... We won everything that year!

I always say, "We've lived in the best of times!" :cool:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  20. Way before I thought girls were cool...
    Then those two lines intersected and I have been broke ever since...lol
    Chappy

21. toml24

toml24

I was about 2-years old in 1958, and I begun to watch the jalopy races on TV during Sunday afternoon in southern California.
    I was hooked watching the 32 and 34 Ford's in oval track action. Many decades later I met the drivers at reunions. My favorite jalopy driver was Art Atkinson. The Jalopy races are a part of historical sports culture in southern California.

22. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

I think the December '66 issue of Hot Rod magazine solidified it....

themoose likes this.
  23. 1940Willys

1940Willys

My dad was a Millwright so I was always by his side Help'n with all things mechanical. Under foot most likely. He passed in 1961, I was 8 years old. Model Cars, Go Karts, Mini Bikes, Lawn Tractors got me greasy and headed in the right direction

24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Let's see, I am 68 so I would guess about 66 years ago when I heard the dual glass packs on my cousin's 51 Ford and a friend of my Dad had a hot 50 Olds. Still love loud pipes and have not been with out them on something I have owned since my first car. My wife is not amused when I give some one a pipe shot, she says I may grow up by the time I am 90, but I doubt it:p:p:p

chryslerfan55 and themoose like this.
  25. Pop's owned a Body shop and opened up a speed shop when I was 5, I'm 72 now so I guess 72 years ago.

26. CA. 280

CA. 280

1955, walked past a gas station on my way home from school and spotted (though I didn't know it at the time) a 47
    Chevy coupe that belonged to Ed Bosio whose roadster won the AMBR in 56. Started talking to Ed, ended up helping him get the roadster ready for Oakland, met a whole bunch of his friends who let a goofy kid hang out. Been hooked since.

27. In the early 60's, when my mom bought me my first Henry Gregor Felsen paper back , Hot Rod, soon after we were at the corner drug store and she bought me my first hot rod magazine, It had a cool roadster pickup on the cover, it was the issue with Dean Lowe's pickup and although I have never met Dean face to face I consider him a friend having talked with him on the hamb.

Hot_Rod_Magazine-1962-01.jpg

In 1962 I bought my first car, a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe, which was short lived but that was the match that lite the fuse, I have been addicted to hot rods ever since. HRP

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  28. Sounds like early hot rod publications had a great influence on a lot of us. Some great stories guys ....Keep um coming!!!

HOTRODPRIMER and Montana1 like this.
  29. Wanderlust

Wanderlust