Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Ford vs Ferrari at the end of the HAMB era

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The TV comercials have CGI crash scenes in them.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Jan and I just got home from seeing it tonight.
    Awesome movie almost 2.5 hours long.

We saw it at the local VIP theatre, the Ford dealership my sister works for rented the whole theatre and provided popcorn and fountain drinks for everyone.

Staff, and families filled the place up for the screening.

We really enjoyed it.

loudbang, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I can’t wait to see it! As soon as I heard about it, I marked my calendar for the date!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’m going on Sunday with a bunch of car buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Smiffy

Smiffy

Just got back from seeing the movie, excellent movie even the wife enjoyed it. Took me back to another time when life was somewhat simpler , cars were great and barriers were being broken by actual car guys like Hill, Shelby, Maclaren, Remington and others. Built them and raced them.

Boneyard51, wraymen and Blue One like this.
  6. That was The Machinist movie, he lost 60 lbs for the role and he was skinny to start with...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. topher5150

topher5150

It's gonna be tough watching this movie the one person that I would have wanted to watch this with, my dad, has recently passed on, and it's coming out a couple of weeks before his birthday. He a wide varity of hot rods, mustangs, old fords, but he always had his Shelby GT 350.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I'll watch some old 50's hot rod movies and skip this one.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Up to you but you’ll miss a good movie. I think they did a good job on it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Thanks for the post. We are going to see this tomorrow. We haven't been out to a movie in years.. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There is also the book which was published in 2009, call Go like Hell, Ferrari,and Their battle for speed and glory at Le Mans. It’s a great read which I highly recommend. I’ll have to see the movie to see how it compares

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. I'm familiar with the story, be cool to see the movie to see how the facts line up. I agree, they could have found a better Shelby actor.

13. 40Vert

40Vert

IMAX this Sunday, hope the racing scenes are worth the spend.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. brjnelson

brjnelson

I seen it Thursday on a imax screen, I wanted more details but it is a good move for John Q Public,
    I may go again to look harder at the cars and the 427 dyno session.
    Bale was a good fit for Ken Miles, I never felt I was looking at Shelby in the picture, all I could see was Matt Damon

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I'm tall, thin and handsome and I know I have more seat time in a Cobra than Damon. Didn't get the role. Shucks.

16. Carroll Shelby always knew what he wanted. HRP

young-carroll-shelby.jpg

Jrs50, LBCD, chevy57dude and 3 others like this.
  17. I just got back from seeing it. My wife and I enjoyed it immensely. IMHO.......Damon was OK, Bale knocked it out of the park.

18. .........What! You actually sat through a movie with no MoPars in it??!!:eek:;)

19. Go and think of the fun he had in that GT 350...he’d wanna see it!!!

loudbang likes this.
  20. A must see movie for me. I will ad it to my collection when I can get it. Me and a friend of mine are going to go see it. We work together now at our auto shop and used to work together years ago at a Ford dealership.

21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Haven't seen it yet so there may be some CGI involved, but a regular poster over on the Grassroots Motorsports board is a stunt driver who worked on the movie. So, there's certainly some real driving going on. He did say the cars are replicas. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/ford-v-ferrari/161055/page2/, go about halfway down the page to read his post.

22. One of the most exciting periods in auto racing! (my age might have something to do with that opinion)
    .........and there were a few Chrysler products in the background.:)

23. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Overall, I thought it was quite good, and entertaining. As others have commented, I would have enjoyed it more with Damon replaced, maybe even with a relatively unknown.

I did have a little trouble with Miles and the Ferrari driver (Bandini, Scarfiotti, Andretti, Mairesse?) trying to stare each other down, at 210 mph in the rain on the Mulsanne straight. I don't think there was a pass of a healthy Ferrari at this point, most had suffered from mechanical problems during the race.

The winning Ford was restored a few years ago at a Kingston, New Hampshire shop a couple of towns over from me. The restoration was fanatically anal, including procurement of all the correct nuts and bolts, and matching original photos of paint which had run down between the hood and fender, from the hasty application of assigned car numbers before the race. (There are several videos of the restoration, I think on Youtube, which you can "Google".) I think this is now the most valuable GT40, maybe well over $10 million.

mad mikey, loudbang and RmK57 like this.
  24. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Nit-picking - I'm almost positive the "real" Miles car did not have the Gurney bubble on the roof (for helmet clearance), as depicted on the Mecum car. I didn't think the car in the movie had this either, but I'm not sure. Maybe they replaced the door that was hammered shut on the first lap pit stop, prior to consignment to Mecum?

Spoiler alert - from archive videos and photos, it seemed clear to me that the Gurney car was well ahead at the finish line, although this resulted from Miles following team orders to slow down.

The37Kid, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for that bit of info, always thought the Gurney car was the only one with a bubble. I've seen the car only an hour away, in a great collection and it gets driven. Bob

Desmodromic and loudbang like this.
  26. My 12 yr. old grandson sent me a text. He said he wants to take me to see it. I'll just need to drive get the tickets, drinks, and popcorn. lol I hope the language isn't too bad.

27. toml24

toml24

IMAX in about 3-hours. Hope it's a good one.

28. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was a fantastic movie for car guys, especially if you are a Ford man. Lots of race scenes and plenty of classics on the track - not to mention the huge stash of Shelby cars in Carroll's hangar.

Bale did an outstanding job as Ken Miles. The plot pretty much stuck to the facts with a bit of Hollywood drama and story-telling mixed in. Go enjoy a rare treat - a well-produced 60s-era car movie. Nit-pick it at your own expense.

LBCD, dirty old man and The37Kid like this.
  29. I haven't been to a movie since Raiders of the Lost Arc, the Indiana Jones movie, I know I'm outta touch with how the technology and sound quality has changed, heck at that time the tickets were 4 bucks each and the drink and popcorn was about the same. HRP

Just Gary and Desmodromic like this.