Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thread just for Swap Meets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Nov 14, 2019.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would there be any interest in a swap meet thread? I've seen a few members recently post info about swap meets local to them and I appreciate it, but most of the time, the meets are happening the next day or too far away. I know there is one held occasionally at Paradise Drag Strip On Calhoun, GA but I have never seen any advance notice of it. I'm sure there are others within my reach as well. With a little more notice, a person might be able to plan for a specific meet.

For example, coming up closest to me are the two at the Nashville, TN Fairgrounds. The Nashville Auto Fest is Saturday Jan. 18 from 8 to 6 and Sunday, Jan. 19 from 9-4.
    The Stones River Car Club, AACA Swap meet will be Feb. 2, 2020 from 6:30 AM 'til 3:00 PM.
    Memory Lane Cruisers 9th Annual Tennessee Motorama will be held at the Wilson County Fairgrounds, Lebanon, TN January 11, 2020 from 10 to 4.

2. You almost need them to be regional. I go to quite a few as a vendor but I never go more than about 75 miles to one. Not enough money to pay to go further.

stillrunners and alanp561 like this.
  3. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

There is one at Commerce ga. Think it's the first saturday monthly.

alanp561 likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Hot Rods of Texas
    Winter Conroe, TX Swap Meet - February 14th - 16th 2020

http://www.hotrodsoftexas.com/

Fall Conroe, TX Swap Meet - October 23rd - 25th 2020

6. evintho

evintho

Turlock! The biggest swap in NorCal. Jan 25 & 26.
    Saturday is the best day to go.

nochop, IronTrap and alanp561 like this.
  7. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Albany Oregon this coming Saturday. Almost all indoors and usually a good one.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yessir, I understand that. All of the three I mentioned are over 170 miles from me but they are quite large and they are automotive only. There is another in Knoxville during the winter sponsored by the local PD that is fairly large for a combination show and swapmeet but they don't seem to advertise in this area even though it's only 85 miles from me. As I'm retired and have friends and family in different parts of the country, I could possibly plan a trip that would do double duty allowing me to see folks and take in several swapmeets.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I think you guys in Georgia have the Moultrie swap meet coming up the week before Thanksgiving. I have done that several times and it was real good

alanp561 likes this.
  10. alanp561 likes this.
  11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Yeah, I'd love to have a way to see what all is coming up and by state/region. Sometimes we travel and I would have time to go to something but sometimes it's not easy on a spur of the moment search.

lothiandon1940 and alanp561 like this.
  12. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

Speaking of the Turlock Swap in January.................. anybody have a spot or two they want to sell?

Lost my spot so need one just for this year..

Thanks

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Most of the swap meets are well known and most already know when and where they are.

14. rudestude

rudestude

Ya..I have been trying to get my stuff organized and loaded up to take to this one that's coming up soon...seems like it's taking forever..What's that? What do you mean I missed that one...bullsh;`";t...40+ years ago, crap what year is this?
    2019..Wow I knew I had alot of stuff , but crap...
    Actually this was my first swap meet I ever attended. 1573852473626~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not necessarily true, I have lived in this area for 11 years and find out about smaller, local swap meets by accident. I am aware of the NE Georgia swap meet only because they advertise widely. I found out about the Nashville venues by seeing here on the HAMB that someone had attended them and found some good deals. I discovered the fairly good sized meet in Fletcher, NC strictly by accident. The Knoxville, TN meet at the Exposition Center, only 85 miles from me, was another that I found through conversation with another HAMBer. I'm aware of the two events at Charlotte because a friend lives there and invited me to go with him and the All Ford meets, spring and fall, in Columbus, OH because I lived there at one time. Close local events such as the one at the Paradise Drag Strip, Calhoun, GA don't advertise outside a small radius.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  16. big john d

big john d
    from ma

new england dragway has a swap meet on the last sunday of the month during racing season on four of the days there is a nostalgia race at the track i have seen a lot of old stuff ( model a tin etc) at this meet the two times i got over there i run the nostalgia race so i do not get to walk next door as often as i would like

alanp561 likes this.
  17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I also would like to know about swap meets in the south I do not mind driving 5-6 hrs to a good one

18. Check out Mike Kelly's Cruise News. They're available all over Fl. at cruise nites and swap meets and on line. The best magazine in the south!

alanp561 likes this.
  19. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

There are no swap meets up here to speak of. The few that pop up occasionally have mostly modern 4x4 parts and a lesser amount of 60's - 70's muscle car things. Very little hot rod or antique parts. It is cool to read & see pics of the swap meets & car shows that are happining around the lower 48 & Canada, as then those of us up here can keep up on dates that they are happening on & we can possibly make plans ahead to fly down & attend them. I greatly appreciate those who take the time to let us all know the future dates, happenings, & share pics of these events. Thanks to you all. Bill

alanp561 likes this.
  20. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Minnesota the MSRA has a yearly meeting early in the year for clubs to bring info about their car shows,swap meets etc. They compile a yearly list that can be added to and published it in the MSRA Linechaser monthly newsletter. This is mostly volunteer so someone would have to organize,compile put on website etc. but might be an idea to think about.

21. A lot of the advertisements I see are for car shows. Some have small swap meets to go with them but it would be nice to know where just the swap meets were. I don't care much for car shows anymore, they bore me. The swap meets are not as prolific in the Southeast as they are in other areas of the country. I also hear about some of them after the fact. It would be great if you know of one coming up to post it ahead of time. The people who put them on don't seem to know how to advertise them very well. Word of mouth is not all that great of a method.

quick85 and alanp561 like this.
  22. I have found that not to be true in my area of the country.

quick85, lothiandon1940 and alanp561 like this.
  23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Is th
    Is there still one in your area just outside of gadsden, It's been a long time but i remember it being in an RV type park and on top of a pretty steep hill ?

24. Yes, that is usually a good one. It has been going on since the 1960s . It used to be run by the local car club but the city has taken it over. It used to always be the Father's Day weekend but since the city took over I am not positive of the dates. It is called "Wheels on the hill" at Noccalula Falls park and it is in the city limits on the mountain.

25. WTF really

WTF really

What's coming up in southeast area?

26. Feb 2 Nashville fairgrounds is a good one.

WTF really likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

**** Jan 25-26 - NOR CAL'S LARGEST - Annual Turlock Swap Meet - Stanislaus County Fairgrounds *****

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    stillrunners and olscrounger like this.
  28. rudestude

rudestude

N.W.D.R.A Hi-Performance Automotive Swap Meet.
    January 26th 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
    Clark County Event Center
    Exhibition Halls B&C
    Ridgefield Washington
    $10 admission
    Free Parking

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners likes this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorites: the Big 3 in San Diego February 20, 21, & 22.
    http://www.big3partsexchange.com/
    Of course the Father's Day meet in Pomona by the LA Roadsters is always a must. There are also other smaller but still worthwhile ones put on by local Model A and Model T clubs in Long Beach, Orange County, and San Bernardino.

1oldtimer likes this.