Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Garage or Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I don’t have a HOA! Nor much of a garage. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Montana1 and j3harleys like this.
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Get a spray bottle and fill it with diesel fuel and spray those oil and grease spots before they get rained on and they magically disappear in a couple days. Keeps the wife happy !

dsiddons and Hamtown Al like this.
  3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Mine I just built and not completely moved in or decorated..

Attached Files:

4. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Wikiup, igloo, teepee, shop, garage? Don't care what you label it. More importantly it's what you get done out there. Yeah the "man cave" thing is just about as wore out as "barn find".

willysguy, lurker mick and CME1 like this.
  5. In my case the 3rd bay is my tool room, it’s not as photogenic as the main shop. Only one small toolbox shows in my garage pics.

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

It was brake fluid thank God.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Get a spray bottle and fill it with diesel fuel and spray those oil and grease spots before they get rained on and they magically disappear in a couple days. Keeps the wife happy !

Works for Brake Fluid too. The Diesel Fuel disolves whatever is on the concrete and over the course of a few days it evaporates into the air. I used to use kerosene when it was cheap but $4 a gallon is rediculous. The Diesel fuel seems to work pretty well. All the Hamb people ought to get a spray bottle and just set it in a handy spot. I have lived here 40 years and had LOTS of oil dripped on the driveway. My driveway does not have one spot anywhere. Usually if you spray within a couple days and it hasn't rained it works great. If it has rained you might have to spray a couple times.
    Don't think it will help on stuff thats been there for a year though. Some of the things I have used it on were pretty bad spots. Had a guy off Craigs list pull in and leave about a quart or two of fluid in a really large spot......not a trace of the morons droppings remains. No one likes a driveway with oil spots on it..........

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Before and after, sometimes after and before 9116EAD7-0F4A-48B1-BA75-3B5203ADCDD2.jpeg 4DBCD44F-9C06-40DB-B81E-885A484474EB.jpeg

10. James Haram

James Haram

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-10_4-42-56.png 1957

Hello,

Having grown up in a small house with a two car garage, we always called it a garage. When we modified a backyard rumpus room/recreation room into a small garage with a lifting door, we still called it a garage. It would have been simple to call it a shop as that is where we did all of the hot rod stuff, stored parts for customers purchases and built our two motors for the gas coupe we had. It was a small speed shop.
    upload_2020-2-10_4-32-13.png 1940s "Rumpus Room," extra family center in the rear section of the backyard.

We had a business license for discounts on warehouse prices, but mainly it was our “go to place” to build our motors, modify our 1940 Willys Coupe and use the outside concrete slab to modify the car(s) when space was not evident inside of the small garage/shop. The concrete slab was also used to do shaping and repairs on surfboards with drop cloths covering the clean concrete. We even were able to get discounts at a marine hardware store to buy resin/catalyst in bulk, with our business license. So, it was written to Precision Racing Engines, a speed parts shop…
    upload_2020-2-10_4-34-9.png Converted to this new, garage door, hot rod work place by the two brothers.

We did buy some speed parts for our friends at our prices and gave it to them for cost. Friendships and return favors were always good for the soul. We weren’t in it for the money, but wanted a lower cost way of building a gas coupe for our own drag racing adventures. Every level of discount helped. Sometimes, we did make money and that certainly helped our build.
    upload_2020-2-10_4-35-47.png 10 is the zip code that turned into 90810

Shop or garage? I wanted to call it our own speed shop, but legally, it was in a residential neighborhood with no commercial businesses in our block. But, one block South in an R-2 neighborhood, there were two separate businesses in their own buildings. So, no one complained about our hot rod engine building business. We were the little guys we have all heard about, staying in the background.

Jnaki

Our friends called it our garage, but when we went to a discount speed parts warehouse, we called it our shop. It just sounded better calling it our Speed Shop rather than a simple garage. One of our favorite places, just as we were getting started, was a small house converted into a local speed shop. It was modified into a display wing for parts and an actual garage converted into a working garage for building motors and assembling hot rods. The house was nearby, but located in an area that looked more industrial with a smattering of houses built in between oil derricks and other small businesses. That is where we got our first SBC long block to get us started, 60+ years ago.

40two likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I could have a shop but me CCRs don't allow it. But I have a mirror muff.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You've bluffed your way through it this far BB:D

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^True that. I don't really have a muff...just muff envy.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Weird, I had a He(hemlock)4 number growing up....

jnaki likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Hey F,
    The HE prefix did cover a huge area of LA County and parts of Northern OC to the South of Long Beach. The funny thing was, several years before that, we had a GArfield prefix. But, the "new" telephone installations (new family move ins, Navy Housing & Apartments, new homes built, etc.) created a log jam and that prefix split into others. We happen to get a HEmlock prefix.

By 1958, we all got switched to 213, then that split into 310 and finally split into a 562 area code for the same phone number 60457. If we all remember when the first area codes came out, we had to dial the area code, just to call our cousins that live several blocks away.

Calling Joe Mailliard's Shop, a few blocks away, was having to dial a area code first, then the number. That changed with the times, though...
    upload_2020-2-13_4-37-33.png

Progress is sometimes a good thing. But, we did use our phones a lot.

Jnaki
    Remember "Party Lines" (versus a Private Line) as a less expensive way to use the phone lines and installation? Public conversations went on for hours, on the same Party Line. We started off with the least expensive cost for a phone line. After several weeks of not being able to call or get calls, my dad got a "Private Line." (as did most people...)

It was public NSA in the offerings every day and night.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020