Register now to get rid of these ads!

1970's street rodding

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by X38, Nov 11, 2019.

1. I really appreciate the tightly maintained focus of the HAMB, and perhaps because of this I do not understand how an entire thread about 1970's street rod nationals events can exist.

I also get that this time period is memories central for a lot of members (I remember too,) but it is surely OT?

Hombre likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The way I see it is that event coverage from only 5-10 years past the 65 cut off contains far more on topic content that event coverage from today. the 70's coverage has almost no radial tires, certainly no weld, centerline, or billet wheels. No Ls powerplants and no mustang 2 Ifs.

3. Well, if you apply that thinking...why have a 1965 cut off date?

(And I very much take your point about current event coverage)

Hombre likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, so if you don’t want to allow coverage of the 74 street rod nats because the year it was held is past 1965, ( even though the images are on topic, no billet, no efi , no post 65 cars) then you would not want to allow coverage of the 2019 street rod nats because the event was held after 1965? We might get tired of looking at the same 500 pre 1965 pics over and over .....

5. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I first saw this thread, read it, and saw what "I" perceived as a huge dose of hypocrisy from the Moderator. I wrote a post about that read and re-read it several times, and after thinking about it for a while I deleted that post as I saw what Moriarity was saying. If you take this as it is laid out here then when would any post and pictures taking anytime after 1965 ever be allowed on the HAMB?

I must say I know absolutely squat about the 1974 Street Rod Nationals, and have absolutely no interest in ever learning about them and I don't care what the cars looked like. The term "STREET ROD" only invokes me a need to puke. Now with that said if the cars were traditional, and were built to be traditional were else would they belong other than the HAMB?

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

believe me when I say that I hate the phrase "street rod" as much as the next guy around here...If you look at the thread in question, the first thing you will notice is there is not a single shitty rat rod or patina car anywhere to be found, no crappy billet anything anywhere.....

7. I think that is a valid point. HAMB type cars can be built in any time period (eg. Bud Bryan's roadster.) But in the thread in question, those cars are by far in the minority. They are for the most part 70's era street rods. The look that was hot then.

Oh yes, but some people just love to keep posting them.:rolleyes:

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sort of a case by case basis thing. If it’s all street freak stuff, I delete it. If it has cool stuff in it, I don’t.

I don’t really draw a line of demarcation on the stuff.

9. Did you happen to see Ryan's most recent thread about our old hot rods, many of them were built after the cut of date but still fit the parameters of this site. HRP

First Hot Rod

town sedan and Moriarity like this.
  10. Fair enough. I don't make the rules or police them, I just thought I'd bring this up as a potential thin end of the wedge thing.

11. Yeah, I already acknowledged that in my response to Hombre.

12. town sedan

town sedan

As I understand the thinking it's about pony cars, the birth of payment book hotrods and did I mention pony cars?

Also, "street rod" doesn't have to be a four letter word. To me, in a traditional sense, it's a vehicle modified for better performance, and or looks, that is primarily a street driven vehicle and might never see any competition use. First read that definition while in grade school -late 60's time frame- in a Peterson Publications book.
    -Dave

13. F&J

F&J

If you were a USA teenager in the 60s that got interested in old style rods & customs from building AMT 3-in-1 models as a child around 1959-62, you would totally understand that the birth of the Nats in 1970 was the life saver for us that always had the passion for a prewar-bodied hotrod car.

By the mid to late 60s in the States, the factory muscle cars pretty much made the old survivor rods obsolete as far as desirability. Most of us teens lacked the skills and tools to build a rod, so we bought a muscle car, or started with a rusty/cheap 10 year old Tri-5 Chevy. Back then there were no outdoor rod runs to speak of, and no swapmeets for prewar bodied hotrods. It honestly seemed like early bodied rods were extinct here in New England. That Nats Hamb thread actually shows a few 40s-50s built rods from the Boston area that still survive today.

The Nats came at the exact perfect timing, right as USA smog laws started to detune the new cars around 70/71, and then the first gas shortage hit here in 73.

If you actually had a 50s-early 60s built rod collecting dust in your garage when the Nats first started 1970, you now had a huge group of early bodied rod owners to be with, or saw a reason to finally build a rod. I recall exactly what a "big deal" it was to see magazine coverage of the first Nats, and we were so shocked to know that many thousands of early bodied rods even existed, and saw that new examples were being built by people who had the exact same interests as you did.

As far as the term "Street Rod", that was strictly brainwashing from the magazines back then, as they claimed the term Hotrod made the public think of lawless trouble makers like in the movies like "Hot Rods to Hell" (which portrayed the hotrodders as thugs that were terrorizing a vacationing family road trip)