Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Garage or Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Nov 10, 2019.

1. I call mine a shop. The garage is attached to the house and full of junk that apparently we don’t need in the house since it never got unpacked after we moved about 3 years ago. I can’t say much though because the shop is also a mess.

2644CE14-C41E-491B-989D-A83AAB379E96.jpeg

2. Impressive! Is that a business or your private toy box?

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. Yes...The Chevelle and the Dodge pu are both vehicles I was working on for other people. The rest is my junk or my two boys. It is mostly a hobby shop but also a place I can use to make some extra money at times to support this bad habit.

4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Dad & I have owned this property since early 80's . I had a small body shop in the Calif. Bay Area until 2005 when I got ran out of business by Calif. politics & Bay Area Air Quality Board & Ca. Fish & Game , Fire Dept. and the final stab in the back was from the Insurance Co.s , I could no longer buy a policy to cover my Business. I am convinced they all worked together to eliminate any and all small businesses that used any amount of chemicals , Dry Cleaners , Auto Shops etc. about the same time my Dad was having health issues , so I sold my house in Ca. & moved back to Nevada ,Built my Shop / Apt. with help from My Uncle and Cousin , on our property while also helping my Dad . My building is 40' x 60' with skylights and the living space = 15' x 40' of the building.
    Shop16.jpg Shop28.jpg Shop39.jpg Shop42.jpg ShopPad52309 001.jpg

5. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Tamahto, tamato. You drink soda or pop? All what you’re used to. How about out in the barn? I worked with a guy from Maine and his was a “grage”. Don’t dealerships have garages? My wife shops too. But then down here they call grocery carts buggies. As long as we enjoy them!!! Have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My 2.5 car 'garage' houses my machines, and a number of engines. (for 'future and present projects'...) LOL
    Everything is ongoing. Wife Joey built me a metal shop in back, 25' X 25'... We added a steel carport out front (18' X 25') for our BMW dailies and MY 'daily', '55 F100.
    RV drive is 140 ft. long, my '63-1/2 Galaxie, '66 VW, '47 Ford sedan, '54 Ford Coupe, and '50 Ford F1 sit, waiting their turns inside...
    Shop contains my '27 roadster, '27 tub, '27 Coupester, 'glass '23 T, and beginnings of 'flat-tail Big Car'.
    My 'garage' is not a 'garage'. It's a 'holding pattern'.

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

a rose by any other name still stinks.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like this guys' garage!

Ron Funkhouser and Cosmo50 like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

You guys are better interior decorators than I am. My place is always a mess.

10. 5window

5window

Aye, there-in lies the problem.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

Well, I 'm still not showing thieves and scammers what I've got, but way back in the day, Floyd Clymer said his mom never worried about where he was, he was out in the Auto Shed. Auto Shed works for me.

12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Depends on if I’m parking or wrenching...

13. in my younger days I was lucky enough to buy a white elephant beer distributor building. It was in pure ghetto, but it was cement block,had 6 overhead doors, two tier indoor/outdoor loading docks, glass block windows, steel doors, 3 offices, a six shower stall locker room, 110,220,440 electrics. 40,000 sq. ft. of indoor building, parking, storing and living. I kept it simple, I just called it my home....

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sounds like a fortress! Any pics?

Bones

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You know the reason I posted this thread was to get an indication if we had more workshops with a wide variety, and usually larger, tools/machines versus those who have a garage with maybe a tool chest, a floor jack and stands, maybe a small compressor, etc. What I've read seems to have gone down a path of what people prefer to call their spaces. I suppose I could have made my original post a little clearer.

Back to regular programming...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  16. it was over 40yrs ago, sorry. Was and still am a firm believer in 'what I got, you don't really need to see'. No offense, pictures just aren't my thing. As far as the fortress thing goes, I think the razor wire helped get the point across. Previous owners knew people liked beer, and that some didn't like paying for it. Had the place for five years, then the city came in and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They tore it down as part of some urban renewal bullshit. Turned it into a parking lot. Miss the building, but not the area.

chryslerfan55, 5window and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I understand, I don’t take people to my place, if they want to see something I have for sale I usually meet them in town. Don’t mind posting pics here, so much, not that many folks near me, and my most of my stuff isn’t stored where I live, so people would have a hard time finding it. What I do have at my residence has cameras . And I believe in the 2nd amendment!

Bones

chryslerfan55, scotty t and RJP like this.
  18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Inside my Shop , work space
    IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0218.JPG

19. Cool thread with a lot of awesome photos!

I have a 2.5 car detached garage behind my house. It's a pretty good size, but the layout is somewhat unusual, with a wide car door and a man door next to it. You can fit two cars, a work space, and as many motorcycles as you'd want in there, but there is no way you could fit three cars. It's clear that it's the largest size garage they could fit on this property (we live on a postage stamp in a nice suburb).

In my mid-20s, I rented a 2000+ square foot shop to store all of my cars. It was between a race shop and a Harley mechanic so there was always something noisy and fun going on. To me, any spot that's separate from the house, with electric tools you can't fit in a toolbox, is a shop. I don't have so much as a drill press in mine (I'm spoiled, neighbor is a tool and die maker with a lot of fun toys), and with my previous experience owning an actual hobby shop, I'd hesitate to call mine anything but a garage.

Of course, I wouldn't think ill of anyone who calls their place a shop or a garage or whatever, it's just personal preference. I do like that some dudes here call their place a laboratory; that's pretty cool.

ekimneirbo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. mkebaird

mkebaird

I've got all three, a double garage for DD and bikes, 24x32 shop/tool room, and just built a 20x50 extension on the shop to store all my cars/trucks. 2000 + sqft but still not enough room!
    P1030606.JPG

21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

By OP's second question or clarification, I have a shop. A shop used as a hobby, not profession. Started out as a garage and morphed to more along the lines of shop at just shy of 4,000 sq ft.

22. At our old house we had a two car detached garage.....never was a car in it as we did most stuff outside in the large driveway we had....funny dad split it up into a side and a half with just a 1/4 space to do some winter work - complete with some heat. Then when he licked my brother sorta out of the house mainly because he came home from a 3pm to 11pm job - he halfed it again so we had a half of garage. Never enough room for a car but his motorcycle with his 1/4 side and my bro/me's work bench in the other 1/4 but we had gas heat for winter break down stuff and that was great! Now I have a nice building with one of my convertibles in and an attached carport which my 40 delux and "Thing" are currently under along with a lot of motors and junk.

23. bedwards

bedwards

I have a detached "shop" in a shop. There is a lot of storage and 2 trucks, 1 car, 1 boat, air compressor and a small home machine shop in it. I just realized I really don't have any pics so I am going to make some. Anyhow, my shop inside the shop has a 11 x 54 lathe, horizontal mill, a small cheap vertical mill, drill press, a couple desks and some tool storage. Upstairs is another storage area but it can't support a lot of weight. My garage is attached to my house.
    I wish I had more room =[ Your pictures are inspiring.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Dave Mc likes this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

When we lived in Florida I had a 30x50 2 car Garage. Now I have a 10x20 1 car garage and a storage shed. Don't do work for other people anymore so you deal with what you got. 1st picture is Florida,2nd is Tn. 20180220_094125.jpg 20180307_155850.jpg

25. { House Garage } I took this photo last night, for the picture of (your garage at night) thread. It fits here too. My wife's car has to sit in the driveway. So I don't question her when she asks me to clean the frost off, and warm it up for her. :rolleyes:lol 20191111_085603.jpeg 20191111_090058.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. No Plan

No Plan

DSC00019.JPG This is my shop/garage (sorry not a night shot), just added a mill, 36x64 w/storage room above 14x64, water heat in floor, stays at 64 degrees, w/air cond. in the summer.

27. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I've just got a shed, and a shed dog, which is most important
    20180302_184333.jpg

28. Wild guess, the dog is your project supervisor right?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dedsoto likes this.
  29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Is it just my imagination..........

It seems like the guys with the most nostalgia in their garage/shop/barn/laboratory have the fewest tools......but they have the most finished cars. I mean, I can't twist a piece of wire up under the car to hold an exhaust pipe in place without making a mess and getting about 20 tools out of the box. Everyone else seems to be able to build precision engines with just a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. Do I just need more nostalgia on the wall and all this sh*t will begin to fall in place for me ?