Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hurst Competition Plus id help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Nov 10, 2019.

1. The shifter in my “4 spd wagon” is in need of help. The trans is an iron T10 and has a hurst shifter (I don’t recall the model that’s on it already).
    Today I bought a Ford T10 transmission that came with a Hurst Competition Plus reverse lockout style shifter. The number stamped on the side of the body is 4910002A. The hope is that I can swap this body over to use on the GM T10. Problem right off is that I can’t find this exact number anywhere. I found a corvette forum that shows it used on a t10 vette but without the “A” suffix on it.
    So- anyone know this shifter?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Not sure, but the lack of adjustable stops and the way the shifter handle mounts makes me think Oem but for the rev lock out

loudbang likes this.
  3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the shifter bodies are the same; the mounting plates, linkage rods and levers and shifter handles vary by application. I'd see if the shifter will bolt up and then check your linkage. You can buy bushings and clips for the rods new.

loudbang likes this.

4. Sorry, no help here.
    I have 4 Compitition Plus shifters, they all have the limit adjuster bolts, and none of them have that type of handle nor do they have the reverse lock out.

5. Thanks guys. Hopefully someone will amble past that has seen one like this before.

I like the reverse lockout, but haven’t seen one oem either.
    Now I’m wondering if the one in my coupe has the stop bolts. I assume it does but now I have to go make sure. Can’t imagine I’d wind up with 2 of these oddballs.

6. IMG_8354.JPG

I think the stick bolts on the standard way. The reverse lockout side was shown above with the horizontal bolts instead of vertical.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Straight rods, reverse lock out, I think Super Shifter.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bingo!

deathrowdave and slowmotion like this.
  9. If that adapter is made to adapt the shifter to a super T10, I would sure like a complete picture of it. I have to make the adapter to my transmission.
    Bob

10. Would it be stamped “super shifter” then? This one says “competition plus” - if you zoom in on the second pic it’s there.
    Puzzled..

The trans it came with is supposed to be a Ford T10. It wasn’t mounted on it when I bought it this morning and I haven’t checked the numbers on the trans though.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

All Hurst shifters have virtually the same "tower" (the actual shifter part) assembly that bolts to the mounting plate with 2 bolts (3 and 4 speed shifters). Some do have a differently shaped reverse lever, some mount higher up in order to utilize straighter rods (like yours). I'd use your "new" shifter tower, with your current mount, rods, and levers. Are the bosses for threaded bolt stops on the 'new" shifter tower? If they are there, then use them. It's hard to see in the photos provided, but in the last photo, it looks like there might be one. The shifter on my "spare" 327/Super T-10 combination, was originally a MOPAR based, pistol grip shifter. I removed the pistol grip shifter stick, drilled some holes for a bolt-on stick, hooked it all up, and it works fine. It has a longer, curved reverse lever that my Muncie 4 speed Hurst shifter does't have, it's a straight lever like the other 2. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. rudestude

rudestude

From my Hurst catalog 1985, don't know if any of this helps..if you need pics of any other pages like trans. ID or parts let me know. 1573462324594~2.jpeg 1573462415050~2.jpeg 1573462519222~2.jpeg 1573462582963~2.jpeg 1573462646385~2.jpeg 1573462751122~2.jpeg 1573462830237~2.jpeg 1573462919898~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, j-jock and slowmotion like this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

loudbang, j-jock and slowmotion like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

The shifter bracket looks like it bolts on to a Ford T&C tailshaft housing, and T-10 and Muncie all have bolt holes that are staggered. On the bracket pictured the last two holes are in line straight up and down. Any number on the bracket?
    Check the Installation Kit numbers that @rudestude pictured, you may find numbers stamped on the shift rods
    and/or levers that would also ID what you have.

j-jock likes this.
  15. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

The mounting bracket appears to be home built. Not Hurst quality.
    The Reverse lockout was at one time sold as a Kit that could be installed on an existing Competition Plus shifter.
    On one photo, you can see a hole for a stop bolt. They are probably just missing
    You may be looking at a mixture of parts

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bought a new Hurst Comp Plus shifter in 1970/71 for the T-10 in my 57 BelAir, also got the reverse lockout add-on that had the short rod with the red ball, had to cut a hole in the Hurst Super Boot, that was hard for me to do as it was brand new also.

17. greybeard360

greybeard360

Mounting plate is pointing towards the rear from what I see.

18. rudestude

rudestude

This is the ad on reverse loc/out kits .
    Ad is from my 1967/68 Honest Charley's catalog. 1573516098530~2.jpeg

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  19. Thanks for posting the picture. It doesn't matter to me that the bracket is home built, because I am going to have to build the same thing for myself.
    Bob

20. Thanks for posting the catalogue pictures. It is interesting to see how many different models of the shifter that they made.
    The only two Hurst shifters I used were the dual pattern 3 speed shifter, which I loved, and the Competition Plus shifters, and they are second to none.
    Bob

rudestude likes this.
  21. Excellent info, thanks all.
    It does have the threaded holes for the stops.
    I’m thinking the linkage is a mix of bought and built. The tabs look right but then there’s some weld on one. That plate looks custom- lots of saw/file marks.

Main thing was that I wanted to be sure it’d work on my Chevy T10 instead of Ford T10 it came off. Sounds like I’m in luck.
    Thanks again—

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I think the mount maybe OEM Ford . Clean it good and look for part numbers . Shifter with straight line rods is for sure Super Shifter , and I think later model of that . Early model I had you had to push down to engage reverse

23. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

The Hurst Super Shifters all still use the Competition Plus main shifter body....what made them "Super Shifters" was the high location mounting bracket and the straight rods linkage kit.

You'll be able to mount it on a GM T-10 with the correct mounting bracket, whether Hurst or home made because the shifter body is the same....but don't expect linkage or levers to be correct.
    You may be able to adjust some or all of the linkage rods to the GM trans, or you may have to make a new one or two. Levers might work, or the slot where they bolt to the individual shift shaft locations may not be right for the GM trans.

I've mixed and matched a handful of Hurst Comp Plus body's and mount plates and linkages, used to buy up all I could find at yard/garage sales and word of mouth deals. All were Ford, AMC, or GM, never ran into any Mopar stuff in my area.

That was the beauty of the Hurst design....just a couple of different body's like Comp Plus 3 and 4 speed, and the Ram Rod/Vertical Gate Inline shifter....and then just a bunch of mounting plates and linkage kits to fit it to nearly any domestic muscle manual trans.

Yours is Super Shifter 3, due to the reinforced linkage rods.....the Street Super Shifter has thinner rods made like the standard Comp Plus rods, just straight instead of bent/angled.

bowie and loudbang like this.
  24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'd like to see what that lockout looks like , anyone have an exploded view. Its alot easier to be a copycat ...

25. rudestude

rudestude

Years ago Radke's Auto Parts in Portland Ore. Had a bunch of these in there bagin bin , they were marked down to $3.00 each I bought 9 of them ,that's all I could find.
    I wish I still had some , just saw this one on CL for $249.00... 15737004734552178644361727341413.jpeg 15737004373242069582598209543875.jpeg