Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock 1406 carb.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Hey guys looking to upgrade the .... um..... cough cough 289 that’s in my 64 merc ( it’s a 70 302 all stock)

anyways it’s a cast iron intake 2 barel carb right now.

I bought an aluminum ford 4 barrel intake
    Shorty headers
    A set of aluminum valve covers
    And the 84-85 duel snorkel air filter assembly used on the mustang.

Bought all this stuff used for pennies on the dollar. I got about $250 invested so far !

anyways I’m looking for a carb and there are quite a few edelbrock 1406 and 1405 carbs 600 CFM
    The 1406 is electric choke and 1405 is manual choke.

what I’ve read it’s a great reliable carb for the 289.
    I have never futzed with an edelbrock carb how are they ?
    Bolt on tune and go or are they a constant diddle carb.

I know carbs and am familiar with them but other then my o/t air cooled vw’s I’ve always just rebuilt the stock carbs and bolted them back on.

anyways any real world experience with these carbs?

And any other tips or tricks to wake up this 289?

just to add I’m looking at used carbs and they are selling in the 200-350 range depending on age, but all are clean and work. So a kit and go ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

You will get a lot of different opinions. I love the Edelbrock carb. New ones are bolt on and go. But easy to rebuild.

3. I have one on an off topic big block and I’ve never touched it, just drive it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

1406 is a very good carb. If the engine is bone stock, just bolt it on and go. They come with a tuning guide and the only thing you may have to touch other than idle speeds (on and off fast idle) may be mixture screws and accelerator pump.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. jim snow

jim snow

I have one on the coupe. It’s very easy to live with. Jmho. Snowman

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I have one I bought at a swap meet for
    $ 25.00 bolted it on and have had no problems. It's a 1406. I've been running it for a couple of years. It's on a 4.3 Vortec V6, in my 1930 A closed cab pickup.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Love the 1406 carb. I bought the accessory calibration kit with jets and metering rods to dial it all in.

Dave Mc and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 or 3 or whatever it is on the 1406. 327 & 350 just bolt on and go.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go with Holley 4160/ 0-80457SA for Ford motor new: summitracing.com/jegs.com

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The edelbrock carb is great. But 600 CFM is a lot for a stock 289 that was happy with a 2 barrel. Hunt around and find a 500 cfm unit.

11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’m in agreement with those that love em, had a 1406 on 2 cars. Trouble free.

12. Well it seems unanimous about the edelbrock

I heard @Jalopy Joker the Holley is a better “ go fast “ carb for the SBF but requires a little more love and finesse then the edlebrock.

I look at carbs kinda like the ronco food dehydrator ....

91EF6C83-44D3-4B93-8D7A-B19AE7454760.png

like I said I had multi carbs on my vw and it was a constant diddle when the weather changed or going on long trips etc.
    I like carbs that get set and done! Keep em clean and don’t worry about thh ju em in everyday driving .
    This thing is a 18’ convertible I’m not winning any drag races or shaving time at pikes peak, only want a little more ommphh passing on the highway is all.

thanks guys !

13. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have a edelbrock carb on the Edsel (10 years) and a 63 Cadillac (15 years) totally trouble free. The Cadillac hadn’t started in 5 years dribbled some gas down its neck - started right up and drove it all summer.
    Go to cruise night and see edelbrock carburetors under the hoods of most cars. The local circle track guys joke that after installing a edelbrock carb you can just weld the hood shut.
    A edelbrock carb that needs a rebuild for 250 to 300.00 seems a bit high- but maybe that’s the going rate in your piece of world?

dirty old man and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. I like "um too.Have run a 500 cfm on my 265 for 25 years.Easy to adjust with a vacuum gauge just turn the mixture needles until you get the highest reading.Set idle. Only thing I have run in to...the excelerator pump shaft is plastic,and after 20 years ,or so they will take a curve on the shaft.Then they wont idle.Easy fix....20 years from now.Dont go 600 cfm unless you really use the top end rpm.Most guys don't.

Frankie47 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Edelbrock carbs are easy to tune and don’t need a lot of fiddling with- one word of caution with an Eddy is they do not like high fuel pressure. No more than 6 psi max and 4-41/2 lbs fuel pressure is just fine.

INVISIBLEKID and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

There is a lot of positive already stated above. That said, I have a 1406 on my 327 in the avatar. They are very reliable, easy to tune and perform well. Edelbrock has a very detailed and easy to follow service manual available. Many of the adjustments don't require opening the carb up. Jet changes only require removing the top (no gas spillage). In my opinion it is a good choice.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Thanks what I read the. 1405 or 1406 is a good carb for a stock 302

I like what I’m reading about easy and reliable.

I am going to replace the stock fuel pump just because and add a regulator as I have one from another project already
    I think it’s a moon one but it should be covered by the air filter housing ( it’s kind of billit-y hence why it was not used in my last project .... no where to hide it ! Lol

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  18. I love the Edelbrock Carbs. I had a 1406 on the El Camino that-get this, that my Mom drove every day. Never gave a second of trouble. She also used to take me to the doctor as a baby in a 1963 Split Window Corvette. This was her car, Dad drove a 1972 K5 Blazer. But, my adopted nephew has a 1407 on a stock 350 with single exhaust that he drives every day. The Edelbrocks are pretty forgiving. I’d run a 1406 on your 302 in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great carbs right ouf of the box for most applications and the Edelbrock booklet is money well spent if mods are expected to be made.
    Keep in mind, the 1406 isn't just the electric choke version of a 1405, the 1406 is calibrated more to daily driver type applications where the manual choke 1405 is considered more performance oriented.

20. Ok in my sleuthing on kijij ( our version of Craig’s list and better than it!)
    I found 2 1406 carbs basically ready to run for 250-300

and a 1405 that has had the electric choke added to it for 200

looked on amazon and can buy a rebuild kit for 20-30 bucks
    Or a whole carb for 400 shipping included.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- you got some wrong info there - New at Summit Racing $341.95 - big companies still ship free but, charge online tax - used may be cheaper, even if rebuilt - but, never know what you are getting

23. @DDDenny AND @Jalopy Joker
    I’ll look into summit and that those are great prices!!

but remember that’s yankee dollars and I’m pretty sure summit won’t ship across the boarder for free.
    We have amazon up here, I service Forklift’s in 2 of there locations. Hence the free shipping.

that $350 dollar carb will be 500 plus by the time it got to my door.

24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Where is the "OUCH" button when we need it?
    p.s. I've run 1406 carbs on 3 different IH 392 CID engines (It is NOT a hemi), from below sea level (El Centro, CA) to Colorado passes. If I ever get another V-8 in the fleet, it will get a 1406.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My F100's 650 Holley started a massive overflow, we were moving some things, no time to rebuild/repair Holley!
    Wife Joey to the rescue, (as usual) she sped over to O'Reilly's parts house, 4 blocks away... New in box Edelbrock 1406, was $260.00 at the time.
    Just the large base gasket, (I had a box full of various base plates) she had it on the engine and was changing the ball attachment for my cable throttle before I could lend a hand. Electric choke was wired up and shrink-tubed.
    Started right up after electric pump filled the float bowls. Warmed it for 10 minutes, adjusted idle screws. Untouched for 2 years, last week the carb overflowed with fuel.
    Wife Joey pulled the top of the carb, cleaned some black neoprene-looking debris out, then removed floats, blew the circuit out, replaced floats, set the down stop tabs and float levels.
    Replaced both fuel filters and the 5/16" fuel hose with new Fuel Injection hose. (wise move...Ethanol had begun to disintegrate the hose from inside...
    All fixed now, thanks to the sharp eye of a smart and gorgeous wife!
    (Uh...I was sharp too, but now I'm retired.)

My son Rich owns (and DID build) the sharp black '27 track roadster seen in the 'Steel Roadster' thread. Years now... Rich runs a nice 327, with Edelbrock cam and two 1405s, Edelbrock 2 X 4 intake. All the 'experts' at the local San Jose runs keep telling him he's 'massively overcarbureted', as he runs straight linkage. That car will idle thru parking lots with ease, always that nice 'lope', but when he simply mashes the throttle the engine springs to RPM and tires go up in smoke, never a 'bog', never fouled plugs. (MSD ign.)
    Rich has 1406 Edelbrock carbs on his '55 F100 (351 Windsor power) also his '65 Galaxie 352, never a problem. Good carburetors, with good DNA: (Carter AFB!)

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I knew that whole Canada/USA money conversion/ tax/shipping deal would come up.
    I'll make you a deal, if you pay for the CT scan I had last week I'll buy you a new Edelbrock carburetor.
    We all have some kind of monkey on our back!

27. Hahahahaha...... yeah, thanks but no thanks. Free health care up here!
    I have a bad back and sciatica down both legs , and about 2 weeks ago developed a bad pain in my “ man bits”
    So off to the dr for x-rays and mri. Well luck was on my side as trousers down for 3 hours and getting “inspected”by two of the cutest nurses and one hell of a sexy doctor later ( All female by the way !!) I was told it’s all good just pain radiating from my back over to “there”
    Every once in a while things work out for me...... oh, point of this story?
    Free health care !!!
    Told the wife I might need a second opinion by the same people !! Lol
    I was told I’m “very photogenic “ lol!

28. 6sally6

6sally6

FoMoCo look 'sorta' out of place with anything but a Holley.
    I have an Edelbrock with the 1405 on my O/T Ford small block pony car!
    IF you like spilling gas all over your pretty painted intake everytime you need/want to change jets....get a Holley!
    If you like to constantly "tune-up/tweak" you carb...get a Holley!
    If like changing out the power valve every time the engine hiccups/farts or spits back....get a Holley!
    If you feel the need to have Ford guys oooh &ahhh when they look at your engine...get a Holley!
    If you like tuning on your carb and NOT spill a drop of gas...get a Eddy!
    Clean out the grungy junk left from eythonol gas with a spray can of Brakleen/carb cleaner...get an Eddy.
    OR.........just remove from the box and stick it on your engine and enjoy........get an Eddy!
    6sally6

Tri-power37 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2

30. Sally, Do they look out of place with a Motorcraft or Autolite too? ;)